I need you HELP!!! Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:39 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
I need your HELP!!! Please read!

Okay... here's a tread that I started a few weeks ago, please read first,

http://acura-tl.com/forum/showthread...highlight=hell

They found out there were two problems: First- The tranny, was replaced.

Second-the axles are damaged, the dealership (Acura of Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo, Ca.), said that because I lowered the car which... caused the alteration of the steering... causing the damage to the axles... they are NOT covering the replacement!!!!

My car isn't slammed... I only lowered it 1.75 inches!

Can they do that!!!???

I was told that there was a law suit involving a Ford, where the plantiff won... and supposedly all other car makers had to follow suit.

Please help... If anyone really knows anything about this... please call me directly at 949.235.7828 I'll be away from the computer all day... Or e-mail me at my cell. phone @ kcheng06@sprintpcs.com
Old 05-01-2003, 02:52 PM
2002 TL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I've heard of high horsepower machines toasting the rear axle with slicks, but 260HP and Nitto 555's should not toast the rearend. I could be wrong, but I hardly see how lowering the car could destroy the axles. Hmmm.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:11 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
What do you mean the tranny was replaced? What does that have to do with this? Did you own the car at that time? What year/make do you have?
And what is wrong with the axle? Bent? Broken? Front/Rear?

Wheels being bent can still be a problem. Larger wheels tend to be easier to bend with rubberband tires and I know--I've bent many and had various vibrations...

As far as breaking or damaging an axle, I have no idea if the extra wheel size may have contributed or the lowering did that, but it doesn't make sense that it did. My dealer is selling cars on the showroom floor with Comptech springs and varieties of wheels in 18" and 19" sizes already on the car. You may want to call another dealer or the regional service rep as this doesn't sound right (Neuspeed or not)...
Old 05-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Banned

that has to be bs... i bought my car from the dealer with the eibach springs already included. and the eibachs are lower than your neuspeeds. so thats has to be bs. either try another dealer or call up an acura rep.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Drifting

dont mean to change the subject...but str8acura...i thought eibachs lowered more in the front then in there rear..why does your rear look so low?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

How did they say the axles are damaged? This sounds like a lot of BS to me. There is a load of TL's out there lowered with aftermarket wheels and/or tires.

I guess you have two choices. One would be to try another dealership. I have had a great relationship so far with South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa (ask for Sean Cooperrider 714 979-2500 or scooperrider@southcoastacura.com).

The second would be to go straight to Acura customer service (not a lot of confidence in that one). I have heard of other people having trouble with Acura of Mission Viejo. Odd thing is they are tauting themselves as a place for modifications! They offer suspension components for Integras and so forth.

I do not see any reason that lowering your car with the Neuspeed springs or running the 19's should have any bearing on your axle trouble unless you are going to the drag strip constantly.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:09 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by r10apple
What do you mean the tranny was replaced? What does that have to do with this? Did you own the car at that time? What year/make do you have?
And what is wrong with the axle? Bent? Broken? Front/Rear?

Wheels being bent can still be a problem. Larger wheels tend to be easier to bend with rubberband tires and I know--I've bent many and had various vibrations...

As far as breaking or damaging an axle, I have no idea if the extra wheel size may have contributed or the lowering did that, but it doesn't make sense that it did. My dealer is selling cars on the showroom floor with Comptech springs and varieties of wheels in 18" and 19" sizes already on the car. You may want to call another dealer or the regional service rep as this doesn't sound right (Neuspeed or not)...
The issue here isn't the tranny... the reason why I brought it up is because... when I took the car in... they found two problems... One of them was the tranny... they replaced it without any problems... (I was told that it'd be a "rebuilt" tranny... since it's such a problem with our cars...) Un-related to the tranny, they found out that the axles are (both) damage (front ones)... they didn't tell me if they are bent, or broken they just told me over the phone that they are damaged and need to be replaced... Yesterday, I asked the guy if the axles are covered by the warrenty, and he said "Yes." Today, he tells me that the rep said that they are NOT covering it because I lowered the car... and that lowering cars "alters" the performance of the steering... (I think that's the word he used "alter"), therefore Acura will NOT be covering the damage.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:23 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by str8acura
that has to be bs... i bought my car from the dealer with the eibach springs already included. and the eibachs are lower than your neuspeeds. so thats has to be bs. either try another dealer or call up an acura rep.
BUT, the question is... can they say... "....well, since you didn't have it lowered by an Acura dealership... it voids the warranty..."
Old 05-01-2003, 10:23 PM
I shoot people

...sorry, I didn't mention this...

...Okay, I didn't mention this, but I don't know if it matters, I didn't buy my car from Mission Viejo Acura, I bought it from Thmoas Acura of Covina... Do you guys think I would help if I took it back there? I started thinking... when I used to work at Nordstrom.... even though we were suppose to take back all returns... we hated it when people return stuff that were purchased from other Nordstroms.

So, do you guys think, maybe it's their subtle way to tell me "...take it back to where you bought it from...." ?
Old 05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my front right drive axle replaced UNDER WARRANTY. I to have it lowered with Comptech Springs and my dealer made it a point to tell me that it was caused by the suspension, but replaced it nonetheless. Said it would have been a $1700 job. I don't see how a 1.25'' drop could mess up the axle and if it does they should start to develop and build some better automobiles.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:01 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
I don't see how a 1.25'' drop could mess up the axle...
...actually, it's a 1.75" drop, but that still isn't very low
Old 05-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Cruisin'

lowering your car changes the angle of the CV outboard joints, ball joints and position of inboard joints

i used to work at a nissan dealership and theyd deny warranty all the time on lowered cars.

it does sound a little weird with your drop, on a 2 year old car

try another dealer
Old 05-02-2003, 03:30 AM
President Team Lilirish

by law they have to prove that lowering your car cause the problem. whether you have a easy/hard time getting something repaired under warranty is up to the dealer. most likely your suspensions warranty will be voided but all other warranties wont. however there are exceptions. some dealers will allow you to lower your car with only the struts not being covered under warranty. some dealers will even agree to give you all warranties only if they install it for you. n there are some that will say you need to pay for your badd tranny because your warranty is voided due to lowering your car. that is when you should take action. call Honda of america or get lawyers, do whatever it takes to get it fixed under warranty because chances are lowering your car didn't cause the tranny to break. if your worried about warranty issues, best bet is to call up your dealer and ask what is allowed and what is not.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:50 AM
lover and fighter

Props to trelos for the explanation...Now we know how it could occur, the question is, who is responsible...
If the Covina dealer installed the springs and sold you the car, then take it back there...You'll at least be in a better position because (as explained futher by trelo and lilirish) they are the ones who sold the car and they must prove that it was caused by lowering the car. If the logic in trelos' argument totally holds true, then you may end up paying something if this was a used case that "someone else" put springs on and traded it in. If they installed it and provided no documentation as to effects on your warranty, and they are the dealer, you will in all likelihood get all of this covered...
I do know that a lot of dealers have allied with Comptech and warranty everything Comptech installed by them for the 4/50 plan on the car...
Old 05-02-2003, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by njtls
dont mean to change the subject...but str8acura...i thought eibachs lowered more in the front then in there rear..why does your rear look so low?
well... 1) the driveway is inclined and 2) the wheelwell in the back is smaller than the one in the front.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:31 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by r10apple
Props to trelos for the explanation...Now we know how it could occur, the question is, who is responsible...
If the Covina dealer installed the springs and sold you the car, then take it back there...You'll at least be in a better position because (as explained futher by trelo and lilirish) they are the ones who sold the car and they must prove that it was caused by lowering the car. If the logic in trelos' argument totally holds true, then you may end up paying something if this was a used case that "someone else" put springs on and traded it in. If they installed it and provided no documentation as to effects on your warranty, and they are the dealer, you will in all likelihood get all of this covered...
I do know that a lot of dealers have allied with Comptech and warranty everything Comptech installed by them for the 4/50 plan on the car...
... Covina didn't install my springs... I had it professionally done by a well reputable shop (not that it matters). So, what now?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:35 PM
I shoot people

I have an idea, what if...

...what if, I had my OME springs put back... and then go to the dealership where I bought the car... (which is far away from Mission Viejo), and just act stupid... tell them that there's some kind of vibration... and just pretend that I never had the car lowered?

Do they have some kind of "central network" where it's already been documented that my car's axles are damaged (and the opinion of Acura of Mission Viejo... caused by the lowering)?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:42 PM
2002 TL Type S

If you still have your stock springs and it's significantly cheaper to swap them out than to fix the axle problem, then it's worth a shot. I'd take your car to a different Acura dealer b/c the old one will remember you. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:50 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by Hokie D
If you still have your stock springs and it's significantly cheaper to swap them out than to fix the axle problem, then it's worth a shot. I'd take your car to a different Acura dealer b/c the old one will remember you. Good luck.
But do you think they have the "problem" documented in some kind of "Acura central network?"

The reason I ask, is... when I used to work security for Nordstrom department stores... if we had to deny someone for a return (because, perhaps... it was suspicious), we'd enter the incident in our computer... like a "black list" if you will... and lots of times... those people would drive over to another Nordstrom and attempt to return there, where they'd get denied again... (I guess what goes around comes around, huh?)

I'm going to try that anyway, if it's the last resort...
Old 05-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Is there a way to prevent this? I don't know a lot about cars, but if you put on a camber kit, would this help to prevent the problem, or does the camber kit just help to make sure your wheels are aligned properly...?

Originally posted by trelos
lowering your car changes the angle of the CV outboard joints, ball joints and position of inboard joints

i used to work at a nissan dealership and theyd deny warranty all the time on lowered cars.

try another dealer
Old 05-02-2003, 03:59 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by trelos

try another dealer

But the thing is.... sooooooooo many people are doing moderate mods to their cars... right? I mean, take a look around you... those big SUVs? They're all going 20"s+ Even luxsury cars... all those M.B.? Are they going to deny all those people too, if they all have problems?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:17 PM
lover and fighter

I'm telling you, enough dealers sell and warranty Comptech products and resulting damages that this should really not be much of an issue. Granted you've got Neuspeed, and granted the dealer didn't install it, but it really isn't any different that a lot of us. Again, my dealer has several, lowered, custom-wheeled cars on its showroom floor.
Now if it is a Neuspeed product defect which caused the axle damage, then you can make a claim against Neuspeed but that shouldn't be the case...
I'd just call the service manager of your dealer or the regional rep and tell them it's BS...In fact, find another dealer in your area selling cars that are already modded...
Note my post above, though. If you are gonna alter your car further as if nothing was done, you better shut up now and not comment here. Dealers can troll these boards or another member may be some altruistic person and throw you under the bus for fraud...
Old 05-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Is there a way to prevent this? I don't know a lot about cars, but if you put on a camber kit, would this help to prevent the problem, or does the camber kit just help to make sure your wheels are aligned properly...?
you got it. a camber kit will only help camber. as long as you go for a mild drop i dont think you have much to worry about. if you plan on logging 150+K a 2inch drop isnt wise

id say your best bet it to go to a few other dealers. if that doesnt work, have an outside garage confirm and do the repairs. thats my opinion