I need some opinions please regarding bumper damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some opinions please regarding bumper damage

Hi there, I backed up into another car, brand new white ML320, family friend.

It was not bad because as soon as i felt the "thump" my heart dropped and stopped.

It is maybe about the size about your index finger, but the paint is gone. i scuffed the "bad" paint off, and the white paint from the mercedes off as well.

Do i have to get this repainted? I mean since the paint is gone, i can see the black bumper...

can I just put touch up paint, let it dry, wet sand it, 3m compound it, glaze it, polish it, wax it?

will it go away? will it look like new?or should i just go to acura and get a reputable paint shop paint job over the whole back bumper.. because of a couple scratches...

wat to do... repaint for couple hundred $$, or will sanding and DIY deal fix it...

steve
Old 10-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Racer

I'd DIY. That part may not match right, but better then not having the whole bumper a slightly different color.

If the DIY job fails or looks crappy, you can always get it professionally painted later
Old 10-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
this happened to me.. someone smacked me in a parking lot... there is spiderwebbing on my bumper and a little chip off the paint the size of a fingernail.. i was gonna touch it up and wet sand it to buff but i learned to live with it.. its a bumper.. its meant to get hit... but don't spend a few hundred just for a little nick... just wait for someone to tap u and blame them for it
Old 10-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

I've gotten fairly respectable results by layering touch up paint followed by wet sanding, compounding, etc. If this doesn't work, call you local dealer and get the name of the company they use to do on site surface restoration for minor scratches and scruffs. I spoke to one in the Baltimore area for repainting spider web damage to my Tl's bumper and misc. chips in the paint. I think the quote was less than < $200 - 250 for going over the entire car.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

I just got hit in my TL and the quotes to have the rear bumber repainted were $550. O f course since the insurance company(actually Alamo Rent a Car) is paying I got quotes from the highest priced shops. They send they are just going to send me a check and I can do what I want. I am going to take it to a shop that came in $150 cheaper just because I know the guy and he just finished painting my truck and he did a great job. The fun part is I get to try out a Mercedes for a rental car while the car is getting fixed.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
you can try touch up paint and layer it sand buff ect... or you can find a pait supply store that will match your pait and put it in a spray can and do the same layer it sand it buff it it all depends on your preffrence. feathering out the damage with 150 then 220 then 400 then a primer coat then many light coats in the damaged area until the desired finish is aquired then clear coat a couple layers then wet sand buff ect... oh yea i forgot to mention tape off around the area so you dont get a lot of overspray every where. this method works good and if you take your time you will never be able to notice
Old 10-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Racer

thanks... yeah, i think will clean it up myself...

so what do i buy?

(Would anyone be kind enough to help me out with detailed instructions that you have done before - stephenhkim@yahoo.com) - most appreciate it

fsttyms1: 150, 220, 400, primer coat, light coats, clear coats... can you give me some brand names and maybe a little more description please. also where can i buy clear coat? i need to clear coat my whole entire hood.

I'm fairly new to auto detailing and I'd like some product information, brand names, price, and where I could get them... local pepboys, autozone...

thanks.

steve

* oh an also, how do you use compound? rubbing compound to be exact.. last time i used it to take off minor swirls, it took off my front hood's clear coat and left it all scratched. *
Old 10-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
turbox777 as far as the paint and supplies find a local automotive paint store or shop that can mix and put the color you need in a spary can. as far as sand paper goes go to your local lowes, homedepot.ectt and get the sand paper there. now for the good stuff. the paint can be any brand they shop has, see what they recomend i like lessonal and dupont best myself. ask for base clear you will get one can of color and one can of clear. depending on what color car you have pick a primer that is suitable in color. light color paint light color primer dark paint dark primer. for the damaged area take your time start out with the 150 grit to start feathering out the affected area, to get every thing smothed outthen repeat these steps until every thing blends smoothly together. when finished you shouldnt be able to feel a edge or lip between the damaged are and the finished paint.then while sanding with the 400 gritsand an area around the area you sanded just to dull the clear coat dont go through the clear all the way you are just trying to scuff the finish. when thats all done wash the afer clean and let dry. by the way tape off the areas around the defect so you dont accidently scratch them while sanding. with the primer spray acouple light coats giving each one 10 to 15 min to dry between each coat. dont try to cover the whole thing at once! after you build up th deffected area a little bit its on to the paint, repeat the same steps as the primer, many light coats till it looks good.then on to the clear, this is the beauty with base coat clear coat systems, you dont have to clear the entire surface. spray the area you scuffed and painted with the clear 3 to 4 good coats chould be enough. let dry overnight or until its dry. when its dry (i forgot to mention before get a piece of 2000 grit sandpaper too) lightly sand the area you painted and a little bit of surrounding area to blend and smoth every thing together. take your time on this too dont sand too much. it should have a dull finish when done. then use a polish of some kind, you should be able to get this at the paint supply store also. ask what they recomend to remove 2000 grit sand scratches. i use Chroma 2000, Meguiars makes stuff also.
buff the entire area until desired finish then use a polish and wax
i know it sounds really complicated but its a lot easer than it sounds. if you have any other questions e mail me at jbodouski@new.rr.com