I missed my Acura Navi on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,150 Posts
I missed my Acura Navi on Saturday

So I haven't been to Atlantic City in about 10 years so I figured this was a job for the Navi. Well that would have been the end of this story and I wouldn't have even posted this. But...

Turns out we weren't taking the TL. We were taking my inlaws '00 BMW 740i. I figured it would be no problem since that car also has Navi.

Let me just tell you, what a POS that thing is. First of all, it only has one view. Map view. As you drive along the "car" moves up the screen like PacMan. When PacMan is about to go off the screen it redraws the map and puts PacMan back in the center. Because of only having the one view (and no countdown bargraph) you really need to pay attention to the voice prompts. A turn could be coming up and you can't even see it on the map yet. Turns usually come right after a map redraw(ofcourse).

So I figured I could deal with this and it turns out it wasn't that bad once I got used to it. But then I made a wrong turn. Don't ask me how I did this. I knew I was supposed to get on the Garden State Parkway but for some reason the map looked like I wasn't supposed to turn there. Sure enough I was supposed to.

So I figure that it would just recalculate. Hell no. I was like when the F is this going to recalculate. I waited and waited. PacMan keeps happying moving as I drive in the wrong direction. Finally I just said F it. I turned around and made it onto the Parkway.

Now I'm going South on the Parkway. In the correct direction. The Navi gave me no indication that I'm on the correct street (the street it wants you on is supposed to be yellow). It shows the destination as getting closer (miles to go counting down). So I go about 20 minutes and finally the road turns yellow again. What a POS.

On the way home it was pretty uneventful exept for when I was about to get off the Turnpike. It tells me the exit is up head. All of a sudden it tells me to make a U-Turn if safe! I was like what? Then a few feet later its says to take the exit.

Give me the Acura Navi any day over that.

One bad thing for the Acura Navi. The BMW map was a bit more updated than the Acura. It knew about a highway that was constructed 5 years ago that my Acura doesn't know about. I'm hoping the next update fixes that.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well personally I have never experienced Acura's Navi... but I drive BMW 7 series a lot for work. In fact I've got an '01 740il in my driveway right now. I love the BMW navi... I went to Orlando last weekend and I took a 740 down there... now I ****ed up and brought the mid-atlantic disc, and all it showed were highways since I was in florida... I was like WTF?? So when my friend flew down to meet me I had him bring the southeast version, and it was GREAT. I'm real used to it though, and I dont even need to look at the screen to figure out what promt I've got on there, I tend to scale in and out frequently, and use the mileage right below the arrow pointing the direction of the destination, and I've never had a problem. I named that woman who gives you the command Veronica.... and shes great!

BTW - I also love that saying "If possible, make a U Turn." LOL, gets me every time!!!!

I do want to try out that touchscreen navi though, and on my next TL I will have the navi.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again. The ONLY nav system to compare to Acura/Honda is the one from Lexus. But...since the release of the new Accord and TSX...I'm not quite sure if Acura is 2nd anymore.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:26 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hands down, Acura has one of the best, if not the best, navi system on the market right now.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose any Navi is better than none. I've only used the Acura one and the Neverlost in Hertz rentals.. the Acura is much nicer.

Originally posted by Comet2404
now I ****ed up and brought the mid-atlantic disc, and all it showed were highways since I was in florida... I was like WTF?? So when my friend flew down to meet me I had him bring the southeast version, and it was GREAT.
The Acura DVD covers the entire US. No swapping.

Originally posted by Comet2404
I named that woman who gives you the command Veronica.... and shes great!
We named ours 'Maxine'.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by edgalang
I said it before and I'll say it again. The ONLY nav system to compare to Acura/Honda is the one from Lexus. But...since the release of the new Accord and TSX...I'm not quite sure if Acura is 2nd anymore.

i'm assuming Lexus NAVI is touchscreen too?
Old 06-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TLover8888
i'm assuming Lexus NAVI is touchscreen too?
ES/GS series yes.........IS series no. Anything that uses a motor to open/close the screen is usually NOT touchscreen (I haven't seen one yet).