I met the Chief Engineer of the 04 TL Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:07 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I met the Chief Engineer of the 04 TL Today!!!

What are the chances? Today my Wife and I decided to have lunch at the Crow’s Nest in Santa Cruz, California. After we walked out of the restaurant, we found two oddly-parked 2004 TL’s with Canadian plates and their crew.

There were approximately 5 gentleman wearing white Acura button-up shirts. I rang out “I have an 03 TL, but I like your cars better.” One of the gentleman introduced himself to me as the Chief Electrical Engineer, we had a small conversation and then he introduced me to the rest of the crew, which included Acura TL’ Chief Engineer Erik Bergman.

Apparently, the cars (down from Canada) are here for a media blitz with Canadian Journalist. I was able to speak to the Acura folks for about 20 minutes, my brain went into overdrive and I started firing off every question I could think of. Here is what I confirmed.

<sum> 270 bhp
<sum> No Type-S planned
<sum> On star on hold, but will be brought back at a later time
<sum> Blue tooth confirmed
<sum> Canadian models will not have fog lights, USA models will have the fog lights
<sum> 8” Navigation screens vs. the 5.5 navigation screen in the Gen II cars
<sum> No turn signals in the mirrors like the TSX’s
<sum> No 4 wheel drive planned

Impressions: The cars looked better then I imagined, my Wife now wants one. I have two pictures I would like to have up-loaded (need some help with this, can someone e-mail me at Vffr1@sbcglobal.net and placed the photos in this forum for me.

The first picture is of me (wearing shorts) and Chief Engineer Erik Bergman, the entire crew we’re really nice. The second is of both cars, showing the Canadian plate. What a once-in-a-lifetime-experience. I had a day I will never forget.

Is this worthy of a sticky?

Mike Smeezy
Rear Spoiler
Sport Springs
Type-S Wheels
Tinted Windows
2003 Anthracite TL
Old 10-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job dude, way to be at the right place at the right time..

Damn though, you should have asked about our major problems in '03 and whether they have been acknowledged and cured for '04. Firstly, did they replace the 5 speed auto transmission, or did they keep the garbage they put in the '03's for the '04's.

and what about the brakes? You forgot to ask him whether brembo's are available on the automatic? And if you don't choose to get the brembo's, do you get the crap acura puts on the '03's and earlier year models?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Out of respect, I didn't want to jam them up, also, I thought it best to stick to the 04 and not really get into the mishaps of the 03 and older. Plus, I wanted these guys to like me.

I also mentioned this site, which they are very aware of. Neat!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:43 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did u ask them to sign your shirt?????????????? :p it would be worth like 2000$ now!!

must be nice to meet one of most important person in the whole ACURA division!!

@cUr@-TL
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Vffr1
Out of respect, I didn't want to jam them up, also, I thought it best to stick to the 04 and not really get into the mishaps of the 03 and older. Plus, I wanted these guys to like me.

I also mentioned this site, which they are very aware of. Neat!
ok well as long as they are aware of this site, then surely they're aware of all the tranny problems, and realized that it's noted everywhere on this site.

Hopefully these guys were enough of an influence for acura to re-think they're tranny design for '04.

did you get a business card from any of these guys so you can contact them in the future? If they did a good enough job on the 2004's, maybe they'll be around when the next TL comes out, and at that time you can get "inside information"

hehehehe
Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
from what ive read the 5 speed piece-o-crap in our cars has been completely redesigned and like 1/3 smaller in overall size (true?) thats what ive read from another site with a guy who works for acura, so i beliee that the trannie has been fixed, well atleast updated!