i love the techtronic!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
The shift reaction time using SS seems way slower than I can shift a manual, plus downshifting is hard on trans as has been said. It is best to let the car figure out how & when it wants to downshift if you like your transmission to last.
To me, the SS is best used to keep the trans from upshifting, like when heading into a curve or corner.
Because you are talking about a mechanical link vs a electronic link. Gate shifting will be slightly quicker as it doesnt have to wait for the ecu to do it.

And yes, that is what SS mode was intended for, was basically designed to hold a gear for spirited driving. Its really no different than gate shifting other than its easier with just an up or down movement of the shifter instead of trying to find it in the gate. After all, its still an Automatic trans and NOT a DSG
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectTLS
youre not comparing an automatic transmission with a manual transmission are you..?

He better not becouse Real Drivers use DSG Trans which are Basically an AUTO trans with an Automatic Clutch...
Dunno why People still love Manuals (SO RETRO) look all Modern Superfast Cars (EXOTICs) They Even do a Manual Conversion of Each car for "Free" since basically they are Downgrading the Existing Lighting Fast Shifting of DSG Trans for a Weak foot of a Man.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
He better not becouse Real Drivers use DSG Trans which are Basically an AUTO trans with an Automatic Clutch...
Dunno why People still love Manuals (SO RETRO) look all Modern Superfast Cars (EXOTICs) .
#1. Many of the older people learned to drive on manuals, and many, associate manual shifting with/as being 'sport' driving. Use to be, you weren't a real driver unless you could handle a manual

#2. Many of us don't own or can afford 'super fast exotics' with DSG.

#3. Manual trans give you more complete control of the car, including the clutch.....of course this requires a higher skill level from the driver...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so I live in the middle of a 3 mile long windy 12% grade hill, the speed is 35. When I go down hill I leave it in 3 so that way I can just coast and use the breaks occasionally (everybody else just destroys their breaks by pressing them the whole time). Everyone here is saying engine braking is bad....so is leaving it in third a bad idea?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson-TL
Okay so I live in the middle of a 3 mile long windy 12% grade hill, the speed is 35. When I go down hill I leave it in 3 so that way I can just coast and use the breaks occasionally (everybody else just destroys their breaks by pressing them the whole time). Everyone here is saying engine braking is bad....so is leaving it in third a bad idea?

No, you're not hurting anything, because you are not downshifting into 3rd under load. You are probably burning a little more gas because the engine rpms are going to be up some in 3rd.

Nobody should ride their brakes all the way down long grades-use the brakes in spurts to slow the car significately, knock some speed off enough you can then coast some until you catch up with traffic or start going too fast. Just riding the brakes steadily just enough to keep you off the vehicle in front is how people toast their brakes. Think shorter, harder brake periods with no brake coasting between.

Being an old manual transmission guy, on a slope that long, I would probably try putting the car in netural and coasting and using the brakes properly.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
#1. Many of the older people learned to drive on manuals, and many, associate manual shifting with/as being 'sport' driving. Use to be, you weren't a real driver unless you could handle a manual

#2. Many of us don't own or can afford 'super fast exotics' with DSG.

#3. Manual trans give you more complete control of the car, including the clutch.....of course this requires a higher skill level from the driver...

Hohohoh BUD I was being sarcastic but:

1.- Im used to Drive Manuals and I dont Associated them with "Sport" Vehicles. I Associate them with WORK and People who like to bragg about how fast his car can go and how "Your AUTO trans is sooo Slow´Bra" monikers.

2.- "Most" is not keyword here there are DSG trans from VW and AUDIs that we can Afford easily... BUT do you really want an Audi TT? (I Could live with an AUDI A8 or at least A5).

3.- Higher Skill of Driver? I got my wife to drive stick in 2 days and My Grandma has being driving stick for around 30 years.

There is no Higher Skill involved.. If you can push a Pedal, You can Drive Stick. (Or in the Case of my Grandma Move a Lever)

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-21-2013 at 03:40 PM.