i/h/e not enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post i/h/e not enough?

We all know i/h/e will increase performance... but I'm thinking we can still get much more out of it. A big bore throttle body and high flow cat should magnify the performance gain of i/h/e right? So what does that leave that could be improved?

Also, how are these mods going to affect the engine? The backpressure is going to change and this could lead to problems, right?

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, burlwood dash kit & shift knob, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Polarg M-12 front signals, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, super bright blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill w/ custom mesh, Comptech sways & springs, 3" chrome exhaust tips.
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 02-15-2001, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

Good question Nate dogg, wish I had the expertise to answer it... I only know about 7-11 though !!!

Shyne 24-7 lika damn 7-11
Old 02-15-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro

Three letters NOS

------------------
13" Teady Bear Ronal Wheels, 185/70/13 Fulda Tires,
Dual SuperTrapp Exhaust, 2" Cut OEM Springs,
Shopping Cart Racing Wing, Triple Blade Wiper's...
Old 02-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

The new Venom Nitrous looks bad arse, but it's also like a G.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

I'm cool with NOS, thanks. Besides, these mods *with* NOS...
Old 02-15-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro

Exclamation

Yeah there's the big bore t/b (consider the Type S t/b bored out as well, wow)

Port matching the intake manifold.

I talked to extrude hone, and a guy that had his intake manifold and headers extrude honed... Its around $600 or more for both.

He gained 10 hp at the wheels, not bad for squeezing hp past i/h/e.

Extrude Honing the head would be awesome.

A higher redline through Type S valve springs, and retainers, though we'd need either type S cams or Tim's cams comin in From Europe. (what's the status on those?)
Its amazing how much that higher redline helps... even using SS instead of auto which shifts too early will yield track times of .1 seconds or better. A higher redline only amplifies that gain. Besides, with our headers making all the power up high, that will do wonders extending the period that they gain even more horsepower over stock.

As a preventative measure, there's always a tranny cooler, they're not expensive at all... $40, or if you want to go all out, you can spend up to $150 or so... A Tranny temp gauge would be in order as well. That would be quite the awesome setup.

Yes as you said high flow cat, but if you don't have to pass emissions, I would recommend going the all-out route

The Accord V6 forum has come upon something pretty damn awesome, as far as a vtec controller, ignition, timing, air/fuel ratio, is concerned. A Company called The Racer's Group in Sonoma Cali, has a piggyback computer that, when programmed by their own technicians, offers insane gains. They spent a day on the dyno tweaking it, and the final result was about 35-40 lb.ft of torque at 2000-3000 rpm, 20 lb feet at like 3500 15 lb feet at around 4000. The net power gain at peak was only 5 or so... but with all that low end torque it made up for? holy cow, can you say launch? Put a pair of drag radials on this puppy at the track and it'll punch out of the hole like a bat out of hell.

I'll find the link.

Ah yes and for those that DON'T already have headers, A rival company is making headers for the V6 accord which should also fit the TL/CL, at a price targetted for significantly lower than comptech's. Interesting, to say the least.

And furthermore, on the outskirts, there are things like the Type S dual stage intake manifold. Another accord V6er has done the conversion, and we also know its possible since Honda of America's Accord Coupe R has one installed.

What else?

Start saving weight, and work on the suspension.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 02-15-2001, 06:08 PM
Pro

Tanner was right !!! tsss tss tsssssss

------------------
Stock 1999 Acura TL Silver w/Navi, 12 inch stock gold plated cvcc rims, gold rear emblem, ragtop, stock mufflers with holes drilled into it (deep sound), Pleather seats, chain license plate frame
Old 02-15-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro

Cool

i'd go NOS too for more bang and less buck...

------------------
1996 2.5 TL Dark Green
HKS Powerflow, HKS Fuel Pressure Regulator, Sebring Exhaust, Jacobs Pro Street, Apex-i AFC, Jet ECU, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis Metal Master Pads, PIAA 1100x, Clarion 9255, Tube Driver Amps, Boston Pro 10's (2) , CD Technologies 6-4-2, Clarion MVA6491 (3), Valentine 1, Cliford Avant Guard 4, Monster Capacitors (2), Jacobs Accuvolt, Trunk, Underdash and Underbody Neons
No nav yet but soon!!!
Old 02-15-2001, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

Yeah but Tanner has teddy bear wheels!

NOS shortens engine life while I doubt all these mods would. These mods should also increase gas mileage while NOS would have me refilling the tank everyday. Plus I'm not necessarily going racing, don't want to bend the 19s!!

What does "Extrude Honing" the head mean? $600 sounds pretty expensive.

With a higher redline our computer in auto would still shift at the current redline right? And also the rev limited would have to be increased?

Hmm.. Type S t/b is good idea!! What type of place can I go to port match the intake manifold?
Old 02-15-2001, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Don't forget this question:

Also, how are these mods going to affect the engine? The backpressure is going to change and this could lead to problems, right?
Old 02-15-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Nate:
What does "Extrude Honing" the head mean? $600 sounds pretty expensive.

With a higher redline our computer in auto would still shift at the current redline right? And also the rev limited would have to be increased?

Hmm.. Type S t/b is good idea!! What type of place can I go to port match the intake manifold?
Extrude hone is the name of a company in Cali that does a process called Extrude Hone. Its essentially forcing a putty like material through the orifices of whatever you're getting extrude honed.

When you extrude hone a manifold, it looks like when you used to force play dough through those little strainer things when you were a kid... I'll see if I can find a pic.

See the black stuff coming out of the manifold? That's what it looks like.

What it does is really smooths out the inside, and make's all the grains point the same direction. It also strengthen's the material.

------

You're right about the higher redline deal. A V-AFC can take care of that no problem. Or if you decide to go with The Racer's Group Program, that can do it as well.

------

most places that will bore your throttle body have the capabilites to port match your intake manifold as well... its not too terribly difficult.

You could infact do the whole process yourself with a dremel tool, but I'd be afraid to screw something up that integral to airflow and such...

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 02-15-2001, 07:28 PM

NOS: I would take all the nos myself and would't leave any for the car.

<small>j/k i don't mess around with that stuff.</small>
Old 02-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

Originally posted by behnam:
Funny...it's not the same stuff your dentist uses - this sh!t will kill ya!

Old 02-16-2001, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by behnam:

yet, why not... Have some juice and let's light up a cigar... j/k

Nope man.... I don't wanna be on the news headline...
Old 02-16-2001, 02:46 AM
Safety Car

Yea but that whip cream stuff is off the heezy fo sheezy... LOL

Woa, extrude honing is crazy shat! Gonna call for a quote tomorrow. http://www.extrudehone.com/

Do you have a link to the Racer's Group Program?

Thanks for all the info F=MA! I just bought a Random Technology high flow cat.

Ya keep missing my other question!

How are these mods going to affect the engine? The backpressure is going to change and this could lead to problems, right?
Old 02-16-2001, 09:46 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Nate:

Ya keep missing my other question!

How are these mods going to affect the engine? The backpressure is going to change and this could lead to problems, right?
Sorry about that, its not on purpose....

Well know that an exhaust effects backpressure , and so does a header... It doesn't cause problems, the ECU has sensors that detect the amount of airflow and adjust the fuel accordingly, that's the only issue that I could possibly think of... and even then, you're perfectly fine.

Some people say to reset the ECU (disconnect the battery) after every mod.

Old 02-16-2001, 09:50 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tann@808:
Three letters NOS

You do not have Teddy Bear Ronals pics man, pics!!!!