I got pulled over last nite!!Need your input.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I got pulled over last nite!!Need your input.

Last nite ,
a cop pulled me over, and told me that I am not authorized in use of "blue light windshield spayer". what the !@$ , I told him I didn't know there is a such law. ..then the cop replied me "now, you know it" , and gave me the freaking 60 dollars ticket ......
(for unauthorized in use of blue light )

Guys, it doesnt make any sense to me.. .
oh.. and one more thing, after that cop handed me the ticket, he asked me if I had after market exahust on ,(I have mugen). so I told him..that's the stock one............. gee........... if I didn't tell him that... I guess he would probably give me another ticket for unauthorized in use of mufflers !!! ...what the bad day...!!!!
I can't believe it happens in Connecticut...

By the way, I signed "not play guilty" on the ticket ...
so what should I tell the judge when I in the court ?
I dont want to pay this kind of Fine..!!

Thanks...
Old 12-24-2001, 08:27 AM
Drifting

you didn't know that blue lights on any vehicle except for emergency vehicles was illegal?

well, if you didn't, the cop is right, you do now. :o

ignorance of the law DOES NOT make you innocent

pay the ticket and take them off, they are extremely annoying to any oncoming traffic, and I'm sorry you learned the hard way, but I'm definitely glad the cops are finally doing something about them.

(there wasn't a warning on the package saying that the lights may be reserved for official use and to check your local laws/restrictions?)
Old 12-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Acura3200
you didn't know that blue lights on any vehicle except for emergency vehicles was illegal?

well, if you didn't, the cop is right, you do now. :o

ignorance of the law DOES NOT make you innocent

pay the ticket and take them off, they are extremely annoying to any oncoming traffic, and I'm sorry you learned the hard way, but I'm definitely glad the cops are finally doing something about them.

(there wasn't a warning on the package saying that the lights may be reserved for official use and to check your local laws/restrictions?)
Well, thanks for telling me the thing.
I wasn't aware of it. I will remove it....and hope the judge can let me go this time..
Old 12-24-2001, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Whoopsie! Yep, blue light on your car is illegal anywhere in the US, as they are reserved for law enforcement and emergency vehicles only.

Just pay the ticket and move on...
Old 12-24-2001, 11:45 AM
Pro

Consider yourself lucky if ur only paying 60 dollars i got a ticket a while back for the same thing you have on but mines isnt 60.. it was 3 large bills.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
I just saw a set of them for the first time a couple nights ago. They were on a riced out Civic.

I didn't care much for them.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:14 PM
Banned

I understand about the blue light thing but its not really annoying if its just the windshield wiper light, if you want to talk annoying, then HID's from our car are the most annoying to incoming traffic, oh about the Mugen exhaust thing, why did he ask you that? Are certain brands illegal?
Old 12-24-2001, 02:25 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Pay and move on, Blue are illegal.. Next time buy clear ones..
Old 12-24-2001, 02:36 PM
Race Director

If you insist on talking to a judge, take off illegal devices, bring them to the courtroom, tell the judge you wasn't aware (there were no warning on the packaging), you are sincere, ask for a reduction/continuance of the fine, turn over the illegal devices to the court officer, the judge might dismiss your fine.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by chadhova
I understand about the blue light thing but its not really annoying if its just the windshield wiper light
I disagree. The blue color draws your attention and forces you to take your eyes off the road in front of you. I know a bunch of people that agree with me even if you don't
Old 12-24-2001, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Acura3200

I disagree. The blue color draws your attention and forces you to take your eyes off the road in front of you. I know a bunch of people that agree with me even if you don't
Anything out of the ordinary draws peoples attention.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question....

I saw on a TL or TL-S (doesn't really matter) the emblem that you see on the back of the car (the A). The person removed it and put on instead a *blue light emblem* (same thing but instead of the silver emblem it was the blue light emblem). To finally get to the question, is that also illegal or considered illegal? I'd like to put one of those on my car.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:23 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on the cop. Some cop will not pull you over for that while others will. You just happened to run into one that will.

BTW, is it a road that you drive regularly or is it some lonely road? If it is a road you drive regularly then I suggest you take them off because if the same cop pulls you over again, you are in deep $hit.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:00 PM
Peach Tea

Re: I got pulled over last nite!!Need your input.

Originally posted by kchen
Last nite ,
a cop pulled me over, and told me that I am not authorized in use of "blue light windshield spayer". what the !@$ , I told him I didn't know there is a such law. ..then the cop replied me "now, you know it" , and gave me the freaking 60 dollars ticket ......
(for unauthorized in use of blue light )

Guys, it doesnt make any sense to me.. .
oh.. and one more thing, after that cop handed me the ticket, he asked me if I had after market exahust on ,(I have mugen). so I told him..that's the stock one............. gee........... if I didn't tell him that... I guess he would probably give me another ticket for unauthorized in use of mufflers !!! ...what the bad day...!!!!
I can't believe it happens in Connecticut...

By the way, I signed "not play guilty" on the ticket ...
so what should I tell the judge when I in the court ?
I dont want to pay this kind of Fine..!!

Thanks...
ok that sucks you got pulled over and all. i want some clear ones. what did you have yours wired to? were they hard to install? tell me how you did it before i order some
Old 12-24-2001, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FKNA

Anything out of the ordinary draws peoples attention.
A ferrari or nice cars like some of the people on the board's draw my attention too :p Ironically, cops draw my attention from the road more than anything
Old 12-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by chadhova
...cops draw my attention from the road more than anything
this is soo true
Old 12-25-2001, 01:09 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
ur lucky u got a 60 dallar ticket..... my friend had them on her altima and got a 300 dallar ticket...the cop said she was inmitating a emergency vehical
Old 12-25-2001, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

You are pretty lucky that they did not give you a $200 ticket in NYC.....My friend got a ticket ..and they also made him take it off...Right there!

But Binh is right you just ran into a cop that is strictly by the books...I see plenty of cars that have them and drive right by a cop and they don't due anything,,,

I don't like the windsheild wiper lights anyway..
Old 12-25-2001, 08:29 AM
Moo
Pro

Originally posted by kensteele
If you insist on talking to a judge, take off illegal devices, bring them to the courtroom, tell the judge you wasn't aware (there were no warning on the packaging), you are sincere, ask for a reduction/continuance of the fine, turn over the illegal devices to the court officer, the judge might dismiss your fine.
kensteele, has it right. A friend of mine got a ticket for illegal tints a while back. He went to court and convinced them he wasn't aware that they were illegal, so the judge made him remove the tints and the fine was drop...this was also his first offense. A few months later he put on new lighter tints

P.S. I think those lights look totally rice anyways...
Old 12-25-2001, 11:39 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't believe you actually had those on your car.....I always found them to be ricey. Well, good luck w/ your fine.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:01 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I got pulled over last nite!!Need your input.

Last nite ,
a cop pulled me over, and told me that I am not authorized in use of "blue light windshield spayer".
What year is your TL? Not sure about other year models, but the 2002's windshield sprayer is located under the hood so you wouldnt be able to do that anyways unless you custom drill them on top. BTW what's up with your sig. I was trying to read through it to see what car you had but found nothing but a huge list.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:39 PM
Instructor

I have 99tl
Old 12-25-2001, 11:50 PM
Pro

Take off the lights and pay the fine. It's not even worth going to court over a $60 fine. Non moving violation so there will be no points against your insurance.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Regarding blue lights and what vehicles they can be on--supposedly they are not reserved for just any emergency vehicle; notice that ambulances and firetrucks (normally) don't have blue lights...at least the ones I see around here. OTOH--I have seen semis with blue lights, which leaves me to believe that what a CHP officer told me may actually have some validity to it: that blue lights on a vehicle mean that the person inside is legally allowed to carry a firearm (not locked away in a glove compartment or trunk) in said vehicle.

Again, this may not be uniform in all areas of the U.S., but can anyone else here give a valid explaination of what exactly does a blue light legally lighted on a vehicle indicate, as opposed to the flashing red/yellow lights on top of your typical public service vehicles?

Tony
Old 12-26-2001, 01:42 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tdoh
OTOH--I have seen semis with blue lights, which leaves me to believe that what a CHP officer told me may actually have some validity to it: that blue lights on a vehicle mean that the person inside is legally allowed to carry a firearm (not locked away in a glove compartment or trunk) in said vehicle.
Cool info. I guess this means you should never mess with anyone touting around blue lights in front of their ride. Road rage could be more than the average finger eh?
Old 12-26-2001, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 99WDP
Take off the lights and pay the fine. It's not even worth going to court over a $60 fine. Non moving violation so there will be no points against your insurance.
Thanks. But I already signed the "not play guilty" on the ticket, and mailed it out.

Right now, the blue light is disconnected (the windshield sprayer turns back normal look) . So what should I say in the court ???
Old 12-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you really have a hard-on for the wiper nozzle lights, just buy white ones and connect them to your turn signals...that way, they're not on all the time for cops to see and bother you...
Old 12-26-2001, 05:21 PM
Banned

Again, this may not be uniform in all areas of the U.S., but can anyone else here give a valid explaination of what exactly does a blue light legally lighted on a vehicle indicate, as opposed to the flashing red/yellow lights on top of your typical public service vehicles?
I can't speak for CA because they may have their own laws but in MA you cannot display a blue light of any size anywhere on your vehicle (this includes truckers) without a proper permit. In fact, in MA you can't display a light of *any* color in any direction other than what is allowed by DOT regulations (white/orange facing foward and red/orange facing rear--with white for backup). Having red lights facing forward is the same as blue lights facing in any direction - $300 fine. Other colors (green/purple, etc) are a $35 fine.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro

I hope they give everyone in HOuston a ticket for that Ugly piece of shi!!t. almost everyone on my side of town has them on their car and think their the sh!t..they should also give out ticket for the bigass spolier made out of empty coke cans for not recycling..
Old 12-26-2001, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41

I can't speak for CA because they may have their own laws but in MA you cannot display a blue light of any size anywhere on your vehicle (this includes truckers) without a proper permit...
Perhaps so, but my point was...what function do blue lights legally serve, permit or no permit?

Tony
Old 12-26-2001, 07:03 PM
Banned

Perhaps so, but my point was...what function do blue lights legally serve, permit or no permit?

Tony
Here in MA they're just for emergency vehicles only. You cannot have a steady-burning blue light, period. Other states may allow it for different reasons but in MA its when they're either responding to a call or trying to hilight a dangerous situation (traffic hazard, etc). I've never heard of the "gun-carrying" law either. Most of the truckers I have talked to with blue lights say they are for decoration only and usually carry spares of different colors to change them before travelling in states that regulate them (I believe some states allow blue lights in the rear of a vehicle).
Old 12-26-2001, 07:14 PM
Race Director

Thanks. But I already signed the "not play guilty" on the ticket, and mailed it out.

Right now, the blue light is disconnected (the windshield sprayer turns back normal look) . So what should I say in the court ???
You can always change your plea and mail in the fine.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:11 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a before and after pic of them on and removed. Take a receipt saying that you had them removed and show them to the judge. Maybe he'll take the ticket away. And stop putting rediculous things on your 30000 car
Old 12-27-2001, 02:05 AM
Instructor

In Arizona, the traffic law says that you can't have anything besides red or yellow lights in the back and yellow and white (headlights) in the front. Anything out of that color spectrum is illegal. I have never heard of an officer issuing a ticket for an illegal light though. Here they usually just give you a repair order and a warning.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:57 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by bigman
Take a before and after pic of them on and removed. Take a receipt saying that you had them removed and show them to the judge. Maybe he'll take the ticket away. And stop putting rediculous things on your 30000 car
Picture?? for what?? you don't need pic. You just take that out and go to the police department or CHP and have them inspect it and sign on the back of the original ticket.

and right! stop putting funny things on 30g car.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:34 PM
Drifting

I saw tons of cars in Japan with blue lights.
I guess it is not illegal there.