I finally did it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally did it!!!

I removed my intake resonator yesterday....I was a little nervous about it...but it really was that damn easy! Took me 45 minutes total....the sound now at WOT is much more exciting...although...some people have noticed a little gain...maybe I'm crazy, but I don't feel that much of a difference in power...should I be doig anything differently? All I did was remove the resonator, the little scoop that comes out on top right by the battery, and the rubber tube connecting the resonator to the bottom of the airbox...I still have a stock filter...this rocks!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to hear. I love the sound of the car without the resinator.

You have a 2000, right? a good cheap mod to do to your car and to the '99, is got to the dealership and order a 2001-2003 cupholder. it fits easily into our cupholders (two tiny plastic tabs to cut off with sissors or xacto knife) there is no comparasion between the two. the '99s and '00s suck crap, they are sooo shallow, and I have spilt an entire coffee in my cupholder because of it not holding the drinks properly during breaking. I was able to take out the felt in the center console to clean out the whole thing.

Any way the Mod is like 8 bucks canadian so probably 5 bucks US, I just had to pre pay for the part because it was a special order.

Nice work on the DIY, you did it by yourself??
Old 04-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
welcome to the resonatorless club
Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Money is funny.

Yah, I did it myself...felt good..hahahayeah, the cupholders DO suck...especially that little 1/2" deep cup that is supposed to be for cans...doesn't fit anywhere for anything...if it's that cheap then maybe I will do it...thanx for the heads up! Yah man...the car sounds great now...I'm not even sure if I really want a CAI anymore...just enough sound for me!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
welcome to the resonatorless club

hahaha...feels good to finally get down and dirty and do my first mod myself...I'm going to go home and rotate my tires today and see if I can figure out how I want to drop it now...
Old 04-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
hahaha...feels good to finally get down and dirty and do my first mod myself...I'm going to go home and rotate my tires today and see if I can figure out how I want to drop it now...
I can drop your car for you for $100, i did mine myself it took a copule of hours.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I removed my intake resonator yesterday....I was a little nervous about it...but it really was that damn easy! Took me 45 minutes total....the sound now at WOT is much more exciting...although...some people have noticed a little gain...maybe I'm crazy, but I don't feel that much of a difference in power...should I be doig anything differently? All I did was remove the resonator, the little scoop that comes out on top right by the battery, and the rubber tube connecting the resonator to the bottom of the airbox...I still have a stock filter...this rocks!
congrats on the new and improved sound. Im like you, I dont think I will even spend any money on a CAI. You will probably get some more sound/HP out of a K&N. Not much by any means, but I know I felt the difference when I did mine.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Money is funny.

ya ousig, it definitely halped me make up my mind!!!

lx4life: Where in eastern PA do you live? I might have to take you up on that...only thing is...I still have to decide wha I wanna get...I've heard the HR OE springs lower about 1-1 1/2 inches...which sounds good to me...I don't want it too low...I just want to close the gap between the tire and the fender a little...so that when I put a bodykit on it won't look so high up...plus...I need to know what to do about my shocks? I don't think I can afford to upgrade my entire suspension system yet, so I need to figure out what's reliable and ot, and what works well with the OEM shocks...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Rock Star

pooh what did u replace it with and how....and where did u get the materials?????
Old 04-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Money is funny.

nym31mp: Which are you referring to? What I replaced the resonator with or my springs? As for springs, I haven't done anything yet because I'm still in the research process. I'm still lookin...but for the resonator, I just took it out. That's all. Left the stock air filter in there and everything....As far as the matertials, there's a DIY on one of the threads...just do a search for "resonator removal", that's what i did to find them. The DIY's tell you all the tools and everything you need. I hope that answers your questions!!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Racer

Hey pooh, where do you live? I'm right outside Harrisburg and want to pull my resonator...only I don't have tools....or a driveway.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Money is funny.

Hey Elementz: I live in King of Prussia...literally 4 minutes behind the King of Prussia Mall...if you don't know where that is, it's about 20 minutes northwest of Philadelphia. Tools are very handy to have...you might wanna invest in some...lol....I made do with a flathead and philips screwdriver, a ratchet and sockets, a 5 inch extension for the ratchet, and little baggies to separate which bolts came from where. If you are worried about not having space, I gurantee you'll be fine. I did it the parking lot of my apartment complex (which is about 8' x 5'/ parking spot), which is pretty packed and close knit. I didn't even have to jack it u p, everything you need to remove is right5 up front, or right inside your wheel well....easy stuff. check this thread....this is where I got all the info I needed...http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page.../resonator.htm

And don't worry about it being too tough...this was the first time I did anything to my TL, and it was easy as hell to do. If you have any questions or something, please feel free to pm me or something...I'm always more than happy to help when I can!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Advanced

ya ousig, it definitely halped me make up my mind!!!

lx4life: Where in eastern PA do you live? I might have to take you up on that...only thing is...I still have to decide wha I wanna get...I've heard the HR OE springs lower about 1-1 1/2 inches...which sounds good to me...I don't want it too low...I just want to close the gap between the tire and the fender a little...so that when I put a bodykit on it won't look so high up...plus...I need to know what to do about my shocks? I don't think I can afford to upgrade my entire suspension system yet, so I need to figure out what's reliable and ot, and what works well with the OEM shocks...
Hey pooh i live rigth out side of lansdale near quakertown if you are famialiar with rt309, I f you remebr my car at the meet i had H&R OE's on my car with the 19's. Its a nice drop not to low but just right .
Old 04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

Doesnt it feel weird to take off your front bumper? Thats the only reason i havent removed my resonator, cant come to make myself take the bumper off.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

the more you take off your bumper, the easier it gets. Now it takes me 5 mins to remove my bumper
Old 04-22-2004, 11:37 PM

I can take off the bumper blind folded now. right steve!
I have done it at night in the rain as well, no joke!! just parked the nose of the car in my garage. no problem now....
Old 04-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I removed my intake resonator yesterday....I was a little nervous about it...but it really was that damn easy! Took me 45 minutes total....the sound now at WOT is much more exciting...although...some people have noticed a little gain...maybe I'm crazy, but I don't feel that much of a difference in power...should I be doig anything differently? ...
I still have a stock filter...this rocks!
Congrats...now add this sticker and you'll be set.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Money is funny.

hahahahah....I want the K&N sticker too...put it on my hood so everyone knows I have an extra 50 horses now...lol...lx4life...I will most likely take you up on your offer for lowering...it might not be til closer to the middle of summer though, is that still cool? I live in King of Prussia right up the road from the mall, so I thin kit will only take me 25 minutes or so to get to your area...lemm eknow what you think!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahahahah....I want the K&N sticker too...put it on my hood so everyone knows I have an extra 50 horses now...lol...
I wasn't joking.

You'd want that sticker on the filter cover somewhere because in case you ever take your car in for service, it'll inform the guys that you do NOT have a disposable filter. It had nothing to do about "showing-off".
Old 04-23-2004, 03:52 PM
A$IAN_CHICKEN

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
the more you take off your bumper, the easier it gets. Now it takes me 5 mins to remove my bumper
You gotta teach me Steve... shoulda learned from you at the last meet I went to....
Old 04-24-2004, 03:37 AM
i

i dont think removing the resonator adds any horsepower at all...

im gonna do the removal until i buy a CAI, those give more hp and nicer sound over just the k&n filter.

Thanks for the encouragement btw pooh
Old 04-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

we bought the aem cai and tried to install it ourselves but couldnt then we took it to a shop and the guy told us it didnt do much better for mileage and that is what my dad wanted (better mileage). now we just returned it today and those ppl take 20 % off the price and give you the rest back, i think well just take off the resonator (again) and buy a k & n filter, sucks right
Old 04-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Money is funny.

edgalang....hahaha...mah bad...I didn't even think about that application. I guess it IS a pretty smart idea to not let them throw away a non-disposable filter...hahaha...those crazy service guys...

moahdriven: hahaha...no prob...I like to help encourage people on...usually people tend to be too scared to do something they never did before...I was too...but it took me about 5 minutes to read the DIY and understand it...and once I got under the car and saw everything I need to take off...piece o cake!
Old 04-25-2004, 04:52 AM
NBP and lovin it

yea that DIY is awesome, i did a removal and drop today. Had a few little runs in, like removing the bumper b/c i didnt want to screw anything up so took me a bit of time, but otherwise no problems. The car sounds great now, everyone is jealous ahahaah. Best mod ive done, costs nothing to do!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Advanced

hey guys

I might take the plunge too where did u guys get the diy instructions was it on this site or another?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacs21
I might take the plunge too where did u guys get the diy instructions was it on this site or another?
the link is actually in this thread... about half way up.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Gee thanks I dont know how I missed it. Thanks OUsig. I got another question. some people say u have to remove the bumper while this one guy said all u have to do is turn the tires to the left and remove the inner bumper? How did u do it?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Elementz: I live in King of Prussia...literally 4 minutes behind the King of Prussia Mall...if you don't know where that is, it's about 20 minutes northwest of Philadelphia. !!
Sh*t I was in KOP a few weeks ago, should've looked you up....
Old 04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacs21
Gee thanks I dont know how I missed it. Thanks OUsig. I got another question. some people say u have to remove the bumper while this one guy said all u have to do is turn the tires to the left and remove the inner bumper? How did u do it?

Thanks
its easier to remove the bumper to remove teh resonator. dont be scared to remove it, with the DIY instructions, its easy
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro

trust me, i'm usually afraid to do anything to my car and the bumper removal was really as simple as everyone sais. just be carful when it first pops off that you dont scratch the fenders with the sides of the bumper. and dont forget to disconnect the fogs if you have them

i just removed my resonator last week.

questions
1. does the K&N add any more sound (in addition to resonator removal)?

2. when people say that the ct icebox sounds like stock, do they mean it sounds like a stock tl with or without the resonator?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:03 AM
i

felt good to take off the bumper and remove the resonator myself, with darkfox's help tho (easier with 2 ppl), but im still gonna go for the AEM CAI...prolly the V2
Old 05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Cruisin'

scoop? rubber tube? it didn't say anything about the scoop or rubber tube in the DIY guide. ???
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 PM

the DIY guide was for a Type-s, there is a slight difference with the resinators and the tubes bringing the air in to the resinator and the air bringing the air out of the resinator into the airbox. in the types- there is a "H" shaped pipe so the air can actually go right passed the resinator and into the airbox as well as air going through the resinator. in the non type-s there is a intake tube into the resinator(scoop) and the rubber tube goes from the resinator into the airbox. so there is no way for th air to bypass the resinator in a regular TL-p like there is in the type-s (the "H" shaped tube - STOCK ).
Old 05-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Drifting

what does it sound like without the resonator? it doesn,t sound like one of those rice burner lawnmowers you hear going down I-5 does it?