I am now a member of the disgruntled tranny club.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Angry I am now a member of the disgruntled tranny club.

For all you disbelievers, I am now a pissed believer. My 2002 TL with 36,000 miles, tranny died today. I knew it was coming as there was some serious slippage when the gears changed into 3rd only. No others were affected. I was driving for about 5 minutes and had stopped. I then proceeded and when the gear shifted into 3rd, it just revved up and the TCS and CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. I limped home and they are picking up the car.

I will keep you updated.

BTW, I am 40, my wife 39, my kids do not drive my car, I do not drive it hard, I rarely use the sport shift and Acura changed the tranny fluid at 24,000 miles.

Any other Canadians had their tranny go as the dealers say this tranny is not a big issue. BS.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear man aleast you got the warantee on yoru side now...
Old 10-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Racer

Sorry to hear about the tranny..
I'm also a 40 year old owner of a '02 TL I'm the only one that drives it and I just baby it..
Its got under 11k km, had it for almost 1 1/2 year now.
So I guess I plan can only play the wait and see game...
Old 10-17-2002, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Changed mine too

My 02 TL-P needed a tranny change at 20K, dealer service was fine, rental sucked (Chevy Malibu), got my car back in 6 days.

Been reading the Edmunds' Town Hall discussion boards about this issue as well, had a question that no one seemed to answer, so I called Acura Customer Service about 30 minutes ago. Not even the service manager could give me an answer, only thing he could say was that Acura hadn't published anything about it.

My question: With the replacement of the original transmission with a remanufactured unit, has the issue that caused the failure in the first instance been addressed, or was the replacement transmission identical to the initial component?

Meagan at Acura told me that the remanufactured unit was redesigned to address the initial problems. I asked if this was published by Acura/Honda (in writing) anywhere, and she was unsure.

So I now have a verbal (useless) assurance that the tranny won't die again, or at least won't die for the same reason as before.

And what about the extended warranty (7yr/100K)? By logging onto Acura's Owner Link website I found out that I was covered, but I have yet to receive anything in the mail, and although the service mgr had heard about the extended warranty, he did not know if Acura/Honda had made it official. This was 2 weeks ago.

Did anyone receive a different response from either the dealership or Acura customer care on these issues?

Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about the warranty. Everyone should be covered. When I had my tranny replaced, I called the Acura Client Service and told them about my tranny. This was a week before they issued an extended warranty. They have my vehicle with the tranny replacement on file so there is no way they won't warrant my car if it fails again.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Well, its confirmed, my tranny is dead and requires replacement. Surprise, surprise, they are on backorder, and they have no clue when they will get one. Anyway, I call today and ask about my car and thet say my tranny needs replacement. I say okay, I need a rental now. They say (Acura 2000 in Brampton), speak to the service manager tomorrow. I say, uh no, I want to speak to him today as I need a rental and they say call him in 20 minutes, and I am like, good sympathy and service especially after my tranny is screwed. I finally talk to the service manager and hes all appologetic and is surprised I was told to talk to him the next day. I got a 2003 Corolla with wind windows that I cannot operate as I forget how. Not a bad car though, but its no TL.

Funny, the service manager plays dumb about the problem with the transmissions, but does not deny there is a problem when he finds out I am knowledgeable, but does not know about the extension of the warranty.Hmmm, don't you hate being lied to. Anyway, I think I may get rid of the TL and get an MDX OR Pilot. We will see if the switch is financially viable.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Comptech Freak

oh...it happens on ur car??

um...now i am scare
Old 10-17-2002, 10:24 PM
10th Gear

Dragon....

I was looking to get 200K miles on this car, and will hit 100K on my '02 by early-2005, so I'll be out of warranty long before the 7 yrs are up.

I will feel more confident about reliability/durability if Acura/Honda could tell me that the problem that caused the original failure has been addressed. But everyone is "playing dumb."

I guess I'll have to pray.....in the meanwhile, I'm considering listing in the Autotrader and in the South Florida newspapers to see if I can at least break even on this car. If I can, I may check out the other Japenese competition, IS and G.

If I'm gonna lose, I've got to figure how much of a loss I can take.

Hope I get some good news...from somebody, anybody.......