I Almost Lost!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Almost Lost!!

Raced a Civic SI Hatchback, 2001 maybe not sure. CAI and Exhaust. We lined up at a red light, didnt know if he was going to race, but once light turned green he floored it in 1st gear so when I realized I did the same. Since he kind of a got a 1 second head start, he was in front of me by like 1/4 of a car legnth. It remained like this till I was approaching 2nd gear VTEC range, once VTEC kicked in, I gained the 1/4 car legnth and then my nose was in front a little, and now came 3rd gear. I remained with my nose ahead for most of 3rd, and once VTEC engaged again, I started inching forward again, but then he had to brake because there was a car in front of him.

But to me I was kind of disappointed, I know that I dont have any engine mods, but I just didnt expect that type of resistance from a Civic SI. I guess I'm a victim of my own cockiness... but I must admit though, this CIVIC SI put up more of a fight then any of the BMW 3.25's and 3.30's did... thas for sure!!

Also I attribute some of the power loss for me due to the fact that he gunned it from a red light where as I gunned it after reaching 5mph, which is considered a street start and knocks off about 2 seconds on the 1/4 mile time.. so I'm assuming if we gunned it both at the same time I would've took off. Also, anything passed 80mph, I think our TL-S would've started walking on the Civic SI because of the 6 cylinder to 4 cylinder ratio.

If anyone has times, they can post on the Civic SI I really want to know... cuz I'm kind of shocked.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM

It could of been a sleeper and had major work under the hood. (ie Engine Swap, Turbo, etc..)
Old 07-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Drifting

You gotta love the sleeper Civic's
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Banned

Type-S Lady ... so uhh race anybody yet after you put in your supercharger? I'm sure we're all curious to hear some ass kicking stories.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by ajNYHC
Type-S Lady ... so uhh race anybody yet after you put in your supercharger? I'm sure we're all curious to hear some ass kicking stories.

Yes any good kills....NYDESI that civic had to have been a sleeper.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Yes I have and the main reason I don't post them is because #1 the stories are either not believed #2 and I have hard time telling honesty the link of cars I've beat them by. You know what I mean? I mean, everything happens so fast, while trying not to kill myself, stop my knees from shaking, looking out for the cops and gloating at the same time it's hard to say I smoked him, or I beat him by this far. So I kind of just keep them to myself or come back and share the news with my friends here in town. I raced a member on this forum last week same car, same color, CAI and exhaust. I just wanted to see just how bad it would be. It was bad, we went from 4 different light and everytime he was so small in my rear view mirror. It made me proud to own a an S/C'd TL-S. Anyway, I've beaten a 330, 540 auto, Camry XLS (I know I wasted gas), LS manual, RSX-S, IS300, Hydai Tibrun(I know I tow that name up) he had just rolled off the lot. It was red and still had the paper tags, I had fun with that one. I think he was still learning to drive the manual. An Intrepid (don't laugh). I would love to see how much I'd lose by with the new 300M Hemi, still looking for one of those. I did get a serious beat down by a Lexus LS430, I my goodness, it was if I was standing still. I had the nerve to try him at that, I had the serious big head. Well needless to say this old guy put me in my place, that big boat can move!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll get em next time after you put some more mods on =)
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Team INSPIRE Canada

Sleepers are a pain in the @ss, my mechanic just dropped a CRV engine into his 91 civic.
just imagine the torque that'll come outta those wheels!

It'll be scary off the line!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

yea a CRV engine. (hear the sarcasm) y not a tl engine?
Old 07-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Team INSPIRE Canada

Originally Posted by shady1
yea a CRV engine. (hear the sarcasm) y not a tl engine?
believe it or not, i dont care! but it looks tight! both tight in looks and in fit!

put it this way, the car as we speak is getting a hood scoop mounted just cuz the hood can no longer close!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Drifting

I remember 2 years back when a del sol was getting a CRV dropped in it. The guy spent crazy money on the swap and the gains were not so horrific. But then it was just the fact that you had a CRV motor in a del sol. I'm sure now people have figured out ways to get a little more gains out of it. But it still nothing to scream about. Trust me, there a few running around here and their still not as popular as the frankenstein swap.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:23 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
I would love to see how much I'd lose by with the new 300M Hemi, still looking for one of those. I did get a serious beat down by a Lexus LS430, I my goodness, it was if I was standing still. I had the nerve to try him at that, I had the serious big head. Well needless to say this old guy put me in my place, that big boat can move!

was the LS430 modded?? cuz if not then you shouldnt have lost.

also do you mean 300C hemi? cuz i dont think the 300m has a HEMI engine

if you are in fact talking about the 300C hemi you should beat it they are not that fast.. around 14sec at the 1/4.

btw do you have any pics of your engine?

thanks

@cUr@-TL
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Type S Lady is like the most modest person here.... she keeps all her kills to herself.... and doesn't share with us.... (your selfish :P )

man, women are so different than guys..... I would have gotten out of the car and jumped on the hood and danced after every kill...... but, that is just me......

And I agree, you should have been able to take the LS430, maybe you met a GS430, those badboys can shuffle.....or was the LS430 in fact modded.... 300M you should take out no problem.... I think you can take a 300C, they are not fast like @cur@ said....
Old 07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Desi --

That was a sleeper for sure. I raced a moderately modified newer Si a couple of months ago. I paced her for a bit (a cutie, too ), then she gunned it from 40-45 mph. I was in second in SS, but the RPM was too high to drop to 1st, so I lagged from the rolling start. But as soon as I hit VTEC, and hit third, then VTEC again, it wasn't even a race.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:41 PM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Raced a Civic SI Hatchback, 2001 maybe not sure. CAI and Exhaust. We lined up at a red light, didnt know if he was going to race, but once light turned green he floored it in 1st gear so when I realized I did the same. Since he kind of a got a 1 second head start, he was in front of me by like 1/4 of a car legnth. It remained like this till I was approaching 2nd gear VTEC range, once VTEC kicked in, I gained the 1/4 car legnth and then my nose was in front a little, and now came 3rd gear. I remained with my nose ahead for most of 3rd, and once VTEC engaged again, I started inching forward again, but then he had to brake because there was a car in front of him.

But to me I was kind of disappointed, I know that I dont have any engine mods, but I just didnt expect that type of resistance from a Civic SI. I guess I'm a victim of my own cockiness... but I must admit though, this CIVIC SI put up more of a fight then any of the BMW 3.25's and 3.30's did... thas for sure!!

Also I attribute some of the power loss for me due to the fact that he gunned it from a red light where as I gunned it after reaching 5mph, which is considered a street start and knocks off about 2 seconds on the 1/4 mile time.. so I'm assuming if we gunned it both at the same time I would've took off. Also, anything passed 80mph, I think our TL-S would've started walking on the Civic SI because of the 6 cylinder to 4 cylinder ratio.

If anyone has times, they can post on the Civic SI I really want to know... cuz I'm kind of shocked.
if you engaged VTEC in 2nd gear, you should have went into 3rd gear still engaged in VTEC or almost engaging. If your RPM's went low enough that you had to go through your entire 3rd gear, you lost because you shifted too early. That and it probably was a sleeper.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:06 PM
TLStar

Civics

Civics are great to work on ('97 Civic..RIP) and there are so many things u can do with them. I have a video from a race where a Civic beat a Corvette!! Obviously it's not stock but it sure showed that American Muscle what imports are capable of with the right swaps/tuning.
TL's weren't made for the fast and furious scene but it can still kick ass!!
It's all good Honda/Acura, we're all one big happy family!

Old 07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by goldendragon576
if you engaged VTEC in 2nd gear, you should have went into 3rd gear still engaged in VTEC or almost engaging. If your RPM's went low enough that you had to go through your entire 3rd gear, you lost because you shifted too early. That and it probably was a sleeper.

Wait what?? I dont get it... explain please??
Old 07-08-2004, 02:04 AM
Banned

2003 Civic Si HB
0-60...7.7 seconds
1/4 mile...15.7 seconds

Taken from Car-Stats.com (http://www.car-stats.com/stats/shows...tsgivenid.aspx)

You should have smoked him man! If it were a sleeper you would've heard it's turbo/supercharger kick in when he shifted gears... Other than that I've YET to be beat by a Civic. I know there are some out there (like 1 out of 200) with 300+ whp.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
was the LS430 modded?? cuz if not then you shouldnt have lost.

also do you mean 300C hemi? cuz i dont think the 300m has a HEMI engine

if you are in fact talking about the 300C hemi you should beat it they are not that fast.. around 14sec at the 1/4.

btw do you have any pics of your engine?

thanks

@cUr@-TL
It was a big boat Lexus that was a four door and very nice. I thought it was the LS430, burgundy I think. It was no contest for sure guys. The 300M comes in like various additions with the limited addition of some type of Hemi motor w/340hp if I'm not mistaken. I know on paper it's got me beat, I just gotta find one. My pics were posted on here back in February under Type S Lady's S/C'd TLS. I don't know if their still on here or not.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by indoMFP
Type S Lady is like the most modest person here.... she keeps all her kills to herself.... and doesn't share with us.... (your selfish :P )

man, women are so different than guys..... I would have gotten out of the car and jumped on the hood and danced after every kill...... but, that is just me......

And I agree, you should have been able to take the LS430, maybe you met a GS430, those badboys can shuffle.....or was the LS430 in fact modded.... 300M you should take out no problem.... I think you can take a 300C, they are not fast like @cur@ said....
I just went on the Lexus website, it was a GS. Man, those things are not cheap$$$
Old 07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
It was a big boat Lexus that was a four door and very nice. I thought it was the LS430, burgundy I think. It was no contest for sure guys. The 300M comes in like various additions with the limited addition of some type of Hemi motor w/340hp if I'm not mistaken. I know on paper it's got me beat, I just gotta find one. My pics were posted on here back in February under Type S Lady's S/C'd TLS. I don't know if their still on here or not.
Yeah if you raced a GS 400 or 430 than forget about it, there is no messing with those guys. Jap Rockets from the factory!! The torque that it puts out from factory alone is so much more.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bacardi151
2003 Civic Si HB
0-60...7.7 seconds
1/4 mile...15.7 seconds

Taken from Car-Stats.com (http://www.car-stats.com/stats/shows...tsgivenid.aspx)

You should have smoked him man! If it were a sleeper you would've heard it's turbo/supercharger kick in when he shifted gears... Other than that I've YET to be beat by a Civic. I know there are some out there (like 1 out of 200) with 300+ whp.
Your right... I didnt hear any intercooler or anything kciking in... cuz this was one of the few times that I had all 4 windows including sunroof open... so I would've defenitely heard it. He only Intake and exhaust, cuz thas what I heard for sure.

I really think it has to do with the fact that he gunned it from stand still and I gunned it from like maybe 10mph onward. Like you said the car can do 0-60 in 7.7 secs... and our car can do 0-60 in about 6.2 secs, but if you punch the gas from 10mph -60mph it would take usa bout 8 secs I would think.. and that is why I almost lost. Also this would explain why I would have to wait till vtec range to keep inching ahead of him.

And another point to add.. if he was heavily modded like you gusy suggest like a sleeper car, then I should've been beaten worse than I was. Cuz like I said.. I didnt lose... I almost did.