Hum noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:48 AM
3rd Gear

Hum noise

Hello, I am a new proud owner of an 2002 Acura TL Type-S. I am just wondering, I have been doing more research on the car and found out that a lot of the TL's had transmission problems. I am worried that my new baby will have problems too. I got a carfax on it and nothing showed up on it. Everything was clean on the carfax. Now my question is, how do I know if the previous owners had the tranny replaced?

Also after driving it a few times, I noticed that when I am parking, I hear a medium loud Hum noise coming from the engine. I haven't got a chance to really pin point it but it sounds like the noise is coming from the Air box or somewhere around there. I did a little research and found that one person has a solution to it but I need a log on account to read it at http://www.iatn.net/techmail/summaries/2007/05/25/ if anyone can log on to this please copy and paste it for me. I also found the other thread about the humming sound but really no solution https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60902 and I didn't replace anything in the car yet and probably won't. If you have any suggestions on both issues, please help!!! I have always thought highly of Acuras since my second car was an Acura TL 2.5 and it ran forever with no problems at all. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
Old 06-21-2008 | 03:20 AM
Team Owner

http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
Old 06-21-2008 | 09:46 AM
3rd Gear

ok, so I pin pointed where the noise is from and it is from the air box and like the other thread, when I shut off the engine I get a "whoosh" sound. So when I am idle it makes the humming noise and when I shut it off the "whoosh" sound is there. I am not too worried also but would like to know how to minimize the sound.
Old 06-21-2008 | 12:41 PM
Advanced

The original owner might have taken out the air intake resonator. I did and when idling I get the hum and the "whoosh" sound when i turn the engine off. I don't think there is much you can do if that is the case. An older member may be able to help you out more.
Old 06-21-2008 | 09:53 PM
TL-S driver

Do you have a regular filter or a CAI? when the engine is cold, my CAI does the woosh when you turn it off. I had an air bypass valve but it kept splitting and would have a really loud hum. It was from the hole the broken piece. Check to see if you have a hole in your intake and make sure the is an actual filter in the box.
Old 06-22-2008 | 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

well after trying to live with the noise and a busy ass Saturday I had since 8am yesterday and with no time to look at it, I decided this morning to look at it and I guess when the dealership did service for it, they didn't clip one of the bracket so the air filter was a bit loose. I unscrewed the two screws and reseated the filter and made sure the bracket was clipped on. Now the sound is totally quiet and I can barely hear it. I would just like to thank everyone that helped out and gave me ideas what to look for. So yeah, problem solved, I was just too busy yesterday to mess with it but now its all gravy!!!!. Thanks again to all that tried to help!!!!
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah when I got my car about 3 months ago I swapped out the intake and thought I broke my car somehow due to that stupid humm noise. If you think thats bad, do not even think about putting on an intake, its even 10x louder, especially if its a cold air intake.