How to use the ss (the right way)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 09:47 AM
tls260

How to use the ss (the right way)

Today i was out driving my dads tls the temp. was around 35 degrees, if that mattered, any way for the seamless shift you must accelerate, then as you shift lay off the gas, then right back on the gas, i did this three or four times and if you time it right its like an f1 car......almost but its a lot better than just having it floored and shifting..........
maybe i just shifting the right way now

Old 03-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heel toe. Seriously... I use it commonly in manuals that I drive.
But, it helps a lot when using SS and downshifting. Nothing like
that horrid jerk when you go from mid rpm 3rd to high 2nd. Toe
on the brakes... give a little gas... ds into 2nd and you're in nice
and smooth.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no need to lift when shifting in SS...
Old 03-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Closer
heel toe. Seriously... I use it commonly in manuals that I drive.
But, it helps a lot when using SS and downshifting. Nothing like
that horrid jerk when you go from mid rpm 3rd to high 2nd. Toe
on the brakes... give a little gas... ds into 2nd and you're in nice
and smooth.
You've got to be kidding me. The throttle is electronically controlled on the TL and the puter will blip it up to match the RPM of the next gear--no need for heel-to-toe.

All I do when downshifting (while braking, as in a turn, I assume) is to lay on the brakes, and tap the SS knob about 1/2 second before I expect the shift to occur. Right before the shift actually takes place my foot is already off the brakes and back on the accelerator. If you do it right there's no jerk. If you want to e-brake that way, just take the pressure off the brakes for a split second as the shift happens, then lay it on again. Works every time!
Old 03-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Re: How to use the ss (the right way)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tls260
[B] i did this three or four times and if you time it right its like an f1 car......almost but its a lot better than just having it floored and shifting..........

Serious question??? ever drive an f1 car???and if so how fast you get it to???IF THE ANSWER IS NO:flamer:
Old 03-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You people seriously need to spend some quality time watchin' Speedvision .. you'll appreciate just how funny you really sound.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PeterUbers
You people seriously need to spend some quality time watchin' Speedvision .. you'll appreciate just how funny you really sound.
I spent some time at auto-x and road racing. I know how funny I sound. :p
But, that 3rd to 2nd shift is way too hard for maintaining a fast line.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daverman

You've got to be kidding me. The throttle is electronically controlled on the TL and the puter will blip it up to match the RPM of the next gear--no need for heel-to-toe.
You're kidding yourself if you think the TL's transmission rev matches. The torque converter allows slippage so the transition from the current gear to the next lower gear is smooth, but it most certainly does not rev match -- there's not a manumatic in the world that does. I can execute downshifts in my 1992 Civic Si such that you wouldn't know the next lower gear were selected were it not for the sound of the engine when the throttle is blipped to match revs. That's not a testament to my superior driving, but it does speak volumes about the real flexibility a manual offers.

Granted SS is a lot of fun, but none of these manumatics give you the control of a true manual transmission.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: How to use the ss (the right way)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BLAZING_TL
[B]
Originally posted by tls260
i did this three or four times and if you time it right its like an f1 car......almost but its a lot better than just having it floored and shifting..........

Serious question??? ever drive an f1 car???and if so how fast you get it to???IF THE ANSWER IS NO:flamer:
Blazing, I was wondering the same thing but I didn't want to say anything. LMAO!