How should i spend this money?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
2000 Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should i spend this money?????

Ok so here is the story...please bare with me, last saturday night i was dropping my friend off at a party in boulder,CO and i guess this "night ride" vehicle hits me from behind and gives me a little love tap but i didnt even feel it and i drove off. The next day my friend tells me that he saw this car hit me and he tried to flag me down but i left. So i check out my car's back bumper and oh snap:

so there is not much there, if you look closely there are two strips of white paint/scratches about 3 inches long....but the favorite part of my car is that sexy ass...so i dont want any scratches on it. Anyway i call night ride, for those of you who dont know, night ride is a service provided by the university of colorado for those students that have had a few beers at the end of the night and could use a FREE ride home. I told the manager of night ride, that at 130 in the morning at this location one of your cars bumped into me, and i have a witness...so the manager checked it out and found a nightride car was there at that location at the exact same time, he asked the driver of the car...and i dont really know what the driver said, but now im supposed to meet with the driver and the manager on sunday, and you better believe im bringing my witness! I went and got an estimate yesterday at the best body shop place i could find (recommended by the acura dealership) and they said to repaint the bumper it would cost 668 dollars ....so now to my question, (sorry it took so long, hope the story was enlightening)
what should i do wit the money if and when i get it (i better get it )
In order of my preference:

1. Fix up my sound system (get speakers and wires for subs)

2. install my xs headers that have been sittin in the closet for 6 months because ive been broke

3. drop my car (either springs or coilovers, may be to poor for coilovers)

4. actually fix the bumper ( )

5. something else
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
headers + more perf mods
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
No offense but if you're not going to get your bumper fixed then don't take the money. I hate when people do that sh*t. I rear ended this dude because he stopped short. So yes...my fault but also his becuase he just jammed on his breaks...anyway...i had no problem fixing his bumper for it. He drove a total Piece Of Shit pickup..all rusted out and the dude FLIPPED out saying he was gonna call the cops. So i end up paying him 700 bucks for a new bumper (he gave me three different quotes and that was the cheapest one) to avoid the insurance company route. Needless to say i drove by the dudes house a few times a few months after...and just as i expected he never got the bumper fixed and just took my money. Now that is so f*cked up and wrong. Needless to say that there is more wrong with his car now than just his bumper. F*ckin Jerkoff. but then again..thats just my two cents....do what you want.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM
2000 Acura TL

Originally Posted by CHEWKNOW
No offense but if you're not going to get your bumper fixed then don't take the money. I hate when people do that sh*t. I rear ended this dude because he stopped short. So yes...my fault but also his becuase he just jammed on his breaks...anyway...i had no problem fixing his bumper for it. He drove a total Piece Of Shit pickup..all rusted out and the dude FLIPPED out saying he was gonna call the cops. So i end up paying him 700 bucks for a new bumper (he gave me three different quotes and that was the cheapest one) to avoid the insurance company route. Needless to say i drove by the dudes house a few times a few months after...and just as i expected he never got the bumper fixed and just took my money. Now that is so f*cked up and wrong. Needless to say that there is more wrong with his car now than just his bumper. F*ckin Jerkoff. but then again..thats just my two cents....do what you want.
good point man, i totally feel you. in my old car i hit a corolla, made 800 dollars worth of damage which included a headlight that cost 50 bucks at a junkyard and a few scratches on the bumper, i tried to pay out of pocket but 800 was too much for me. But do you guys think that wasting the money on something else and then fixing the bumper in the summer (which is when im planning on doin it) with my own money is much worse than fixing the bumper now? Plus i feel a lot better knowing that nightride is an organization owned by CU, and i really dont care if i take a crumb from CU's bread factory. If this kid who hit me wants to pay out of pocket, no doubt i will cut him a deal
Old 02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you need money to install the header? all i would need here is heat lol... damn winter!

but your bumper looks like its just a scuff you could buff it out? maybe not i cant really see the damage from the pics
Old 02-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Instructor

I have an idea, use the money that they are paying you to...what a concept...repaint the bumper!! If you use that money for anything else then you are nothing but a crook.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Trust me, as someone who's in law school and who is currently clerking/interning for/as in-house counsel for an insurance firm, you won't get $668 dollars.

Or atleast any properly running company will not offer to pay $668 dollars. Most likely, since the car that hit you was owned and run by Colorado University, they'll have insurance. They'll probably file an insurance claim and ask you to file an insurance claim with your insurance company. Thus you won't actually get money, and you'll have to pay the deductible for your share of repair costs (depends on the policy of your insurance co.)

In fact, if you really did get it estimated at $668 dollars, you should've contacted the police and filed a report. Not to mention you should've called your insurance company. But $668 seems really inflated for the cost of refinishing the bumper. I just had my entire back bumper repainted and had my Wing West rear lip painted for $500 after taxes. And even then, many people here said that was I paid too much... and I believe it. From the look of the pics above, they'll probably be able to feather in the scratched areas and just have to reclear the bumper. I don't know why that would cost $668. Unless you have other scratches in the rear bumper that you were trying to get out as well... which of course should not be covered by nightride since they didn't cause those other scratches.

Dude, if by some odd chance you get cash, get your bumper fixed. I hate reading things where people get into a minor accident and ask for a cash settlement, and then expect to use that cash else where. I deal with it all the time at work.

Honesty is a virture that is truly lost in today's society. (Hell.. and I'm a soon to be lawyer saying this shit.)
Old 02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
@ slide or die @

well said. but suppose the other guy thinks like us and tells you, "well, have the body shop bill me" he's still having to pay nomarajuat! it does NOT cost $670 to repaint your rear bumper either.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Instructor

if the guy has to pay out of his pocket than dont do it but if its an organization or something then actually fix your bumper dont use the money for something else..... if you use the money for something else i wouldnt say your a crook but it wouldnt be right
Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 PM
2000 Acura TL

thanks for the input guys....you all are right, and i shall see what happens, if nightride actually decides to pay me through their insurance, then i will probably get the bumper fixed at the expensive place i went to, if the kid ends up having to pay, then i will try to find a cheaper place, hopefully around 2-300 hundred dollars. I think that the bumper does have to be repainted, because the marks look like they got pretty deep and buffing it out wouldnt work and niether would touch up, but i dont know body work and it could be done. Either way you guys are right, ive been on acurazine for about 6 months now, and all ive seen is acura owners trying to help eachother out, of course once in a while a jerk does come along (me for example) and tries to hustle other owners and it always seems wrong to me and usually someone sets them straight, so i should follow by example
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Just remember this...karma is a bitch and it will come back to bite you in the ass at some point in the future.

I am predicting that we will see a thread titled "Damn hit and run...my rear bumper is all messed up..."
Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 PM
2000 Acura TL

Originally Posted by noah82
Just remember this...karma is a bitch and it will come back to bite you in the ass at some point in the future.

I am predicting that we will see a thread titled "Damn hit and run...my rear bumper is all messed up..."
lol, ya you are probably right...im a strong believer in karma, when i hit that corolla wi my old car...i could have just drove off cuz it was in a dark parking lot with no one around, but i knew it would come back to haunt me, plus i hate people who hit and run
Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Ev an' Tec

Originally Posted by noah82
I have an idea, use the money that they are paying you to...what a concept...repaint the bumper!! If you use that money for anything else then you are nothing but a crook.
Before you think about Night-Ride as a chance to make some bucks for your ride, consider this...

What happens next semester if they decide their insurance premiums are too high, and they cancel the service? Then all those drunk students have to drive home from the bars 'cause there's no night-ride. And then one of them totals your car (including whatever new part you added with the $700 you made).

Now, I know it doesn't work that way, and no matter how high the insurance premiums get (or how careless the night-ride drivers they hire are), the university will still probably maintain the service because it's cheaper than the damage done by a bunch of drunk drivers.

But you get the idea, whether it's about killing the goose that laid the golden egg, or simply being careful about what you wish for.

Having said that whole rant, I still do sympathize with you about someone whacking into your car (even it it Mother Therasa were driving the Night Ride van!) But pullleaze use the $$ to make it right again!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraDreamin
lol, ya you are probably right...im a strong believer in karma, when i hit that corolla wi my old car...i could have just drove off cuz it was in a dark parking lot with no one around, but i knew it would come back to haunt me, plus i hate people who hit and run

that was a good thing you didnt, someone hit my dads van a couple of months ago it was parked at the end of my driveway at like 3 in the morning and messed up his whole front end.....probably a drunk driver!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

get the bumper fixed. i hate it when ricer kids would rather fix up the interior of the car and you step outside of that and it looks like shit. this is just one step closer to that.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Wish

naw... KARMA IS BAD.. and i feel u but put urself in the other person's shoes..... what would they do? how would u feel....

that being said..u can always get a new bumper.. bill him for it. and then sell it hehe if u stil want to get some compensation for it.... since that will be through his insurance... it shouldn't matter since he DID make the mistake and there is no such thing as sudden braking. i'm sorry.. but if u kept a proper distance while driving... that shouldn't matter at all.. and don't forget, ur driving a TL... if u can't stop faster then the car in front of u WITH PROPER DISTANCE.. u need ur brakes checked...

yes Sudden braking assholes are bitches to deal with .. but keep ur distance.. (oh by the way.. i love being a hypocrite like the one i am since i tailgate nearly 90% of the time and i awlays get mad when the person in front brakes)
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Kilos of yayo in

I don't see what the big deal is. If someone damaged my property and gave me money it is up to me if I want to repair the item or spend it on something else. After all THEY damaged my property. Giving the money back because your not repairing this certain part is a joke. Take responsibility for your actions and pay up if you damage someones property and its really none of your business what they do with the money. Its theirs now. Now if I ding you and you take a bat and start smashing stuff to blame it on me to get more money, well that is just plain wrong. To the original poster if you do get money and can live with the damage and or repair it yourself. Go to town with that money!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
but the favorite part of my car is that sexy ass...so i dont want any scratches on it.
4. actually fix the bumper ( )
I don't really care what you do with the money, but aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Just curious.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
i got quoted 150 per bumper from my local acura dealer
Old 02-10-2007, 11:44 PM
2000 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I don't really care what you do with the money, but aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Just curious.
i think some of the guys got me wrong...i definitely plan on painting the bumper...i dont want those nasty scratches on it, i was just contemplating if i should do it now or later in the summer.

150 for a bumper from acura? thats not painted tho right? the paint would probably cost a lot
Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rubbing compound, polish, wax, done!

As for the money, save up for some quality suspension
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
i think some of the guys got me wrong...i definitely plan on painting the bumper...i dont want those nasty scratches on it, i was just contemplating if i should do it now or later in the summer.

150 for a bumper from acura? thats not painted tho right? the paint would probably cost a lot
Well, if you have the patience to wait, paint would cure faster and better in the warm seasons.

But like the poster above said, try rubbing compound and polish. The pictures aren't 100% clear, but it looks like it was just scuffed. Try that first.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Wish

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco
I don't see what the big deal is. If someone damaged my property and gave me money it is up to me if I want to repair the item or spend it on something else. After all THEY damaged my property. Giving the money back because your not repairing this certain part is a joke. Take responsibility for your actions and pay up if you damage someones property and its really none of your business what they do with the money. Its theirs now. Now if I ding you and you take a bat and start smashing stuff to blame it on me to get more money, well that is just plain wrong. To the original poster if you do get money and can live with the damage and or repair it yourself. Go to town with that money!
exactly... i mean ya.. karma is karma but... i believe in ppl paying up for their mistake.. its up to u if u want to forgive them or not... maybe u can charge him less etc.. but he made the damn mistake of hittin u.. he is gonna pay for it... maybe its a very old shitty car that hit u.. a driver who is supporting his 4 children with a bad job.. then thats a different case.. tehn again.. there is a diffferent case all the time.. its up to u to make the decision...

like i said... he should've kept a proper distance... simple as that...
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
2000 Acura TL

so today i had a meeting with these 2 guys from nightride, one of them was the guy who hit me, and the other seemed like he did the managerial duties. They were both like 22 or 23. He apologized right away for hitting me and said that he didnt notice that he hit me, but thought he hit a different car. I showed them my bumper and we pretty much agreed that i would try and polish it out, if that didnt work we would try to negotiate something. It seemed to me as if they didnt even tell anyone higher up that this happened, im guessing because he could have lost his job, the guy who set the whole thing up recommended the same thing you guys did: wax polish with some rubbing compound, he told me if that doesnt work then if the price to repaint is not to high, the guy will pay out of pocket, if it is liike 600 then he will go through insurance. Can anyone tell me a good brand of polish wax to use, with a small percentage of rubbing compound right? Any applicator pad will work? And should i tell this guy to polish it, because the slight chance i may fuck it up and the guy doesnt want to pay anymore? The only reason im even thinking of letting me or him polish it is because he was nice enough to apologize and admit he was wrong. What do you guys think?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 PM
2000 Acura TL

here are some pics of the damage after i washed the car, hope this helps a little, thanks again for helping me through this guys!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Billy Sacco

If somebody damages something that is yours, you should be compensated, and with the compensation you should be able to do what you want with. What difference does it make to the person who shelled out the money? Either way they still have to pay for their mistake

Anyway, as far as taking out your scuff, get the following:

-rubbing compound
-meguiars scratchx
-polish
-a good carnauba (sp) wax

Take a towel with some rubbing compund and rub LIGHTLY on the scuff.. try to stay away from the paint around the scuff as much as possible. Once the scuff is gone, you will be left with a slightly faded/scratched area. Follow the directions for the scratch-x and then follow that up with a nice polish, and finally wax forprotection. The damage should go way without any problem.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM
4th Gear

nothing sell your car and get a real one or shoot yourself
Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
2000 Acura TL

wow...this guy is really something....can a mod just ban him already! id rather not say anything cuz it would be just to easy