How to remove the oil jet kit????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove the oil jet kit????

I think my tranny if going... 3 weeks after I got the kit
Can someone tell me if I can remove it by myself???
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 PM
SH-AWD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PhillyTL-S
Why bother, the jet kit isn't the cause for your trans. failure.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Instructor

yea it is...don't care what they people say, look at the pattern
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by em17henry
yea it is...don't care what they people say, look at the pattern
no its not. 2 very seprate issues. you can remove the oil jet kit but you will need the old parts back. when they inspect your tranny for the bad part that the oil jet iss supposed to save, they arent looking for the other problem which cant be inspected. my tranny was bad when i brought it in and they said the 2ndgear shaft was still good and nstalled it for me any way.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't remove the kit, if it fails they will put in another tranny. why the hell would you remove it? Acura apparently has done some research and if putting the kit in would cause failure they would not be installing them.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

its extremlyeasy to remove, you will need the old drain plug and the old crosover pipe, unless you plug the "T" end of the new crossover pipe. but i agree with GoldTL
Old 11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoldTL
don't remove the kit, if it fails they will put in another tranny. why the hell would you remove it? Acura apparently has done some research and if putting the kit in would cause failure they would not be installing them.

Yeh, right...they really care….
My tranny was fine, perfect... I never redlined on it or else but after they installed the kit and it started slipping and acting weird
I decided to take it out.
Can someone help me with this?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Racer

what's so bad about redline? it's not bad to redline, but to hold it there of course it is. I'd like to hear what acura has to say when you tell them you took out the oil jet kit...lol
Old 11-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoldTL
what's so bad about redline? it's not bad to redline, but to hold it there of course it is. I'd like to hear what acura has to say when you tell them you took out the oil jet kit...lol

I dont give a sh.t waht they will say... all I know that I started to have problems after they installed that POS and I am not the only one here in this situation
Old 11-09-2004, 11:37 PM
my girly girl

i agree wit philly ,

2 days ago my tl was fine (2000) and i brought it in for the recall to install the oil jet kit,
today, i started to feel a change in the driverin acceleration, it started jumped from 3-5 rpms very faastly until reached over 40mph then it was fine. I am goin to acura tomorw and causin a f*ckin scnene like no otha. My car was fine before i brought it in to them and they messed it up (the way i see it ), I am goin to have the manager drive it and tell stright out that the tranny started slippin after i got the car back.
see wut they say
Old 11-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Racer

I am taking mine back on Monday...
I know that our trannys are not perfect but this is not the first case I see (including me)when the perfectly fine tranny that worked before, started to fail within few days or month after the dealer installed the jet kit.
Dont you think something is not right here...?

P.S. mackntheacc: "it started jumped from 3-5 rpms " - I have the same problem....
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
im the best

even if you dont believe that they care, they wouldnt install something that would cause failure. wtf would they do that? i just had it done 2 days ago, so far no problems. no problems before that either. there are alot of people complaining about problems after the jet kit install but there are alot of people complaining about it before. and with 2 separate issues...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Maybe the dealer installed the oil jet kit wrong on ur car. Not really sure what they would have done wrong to cause the tranny to mess up ... Unless of course you've got a transmission fluid leak, which would explain the slipping.

I have noticed that my tranny shifts are much firmer since the oil jet was installed. Even after the car has been warmed up it seems to shift harder than before I had the oil jet.

Uninstalling the oil jet kit would definitely be a bad idea, as Acura could use that as an excuse to void your warranty on the tranny.

And for those of you who are planning on going in to Acura and raising hell ... Everyone makes mistakes. Perhaps you should try asking nicely first? I'm not saying that if they won't look at the car or are blaming you for a problem they created that you shouldn't be angry. But if you go in there and just tell them nicely the car doesn't drive the same since the oil jet was installed ... Who knows, maybe they'll take care of you without any problems. Just seems stupid to get all worked up over these kinds of things.
The following users liked this post:
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, so now you are having problems after install. Take the damn thing back and have them look into it. It's under warranty. If you mess around with a recall repair, they may tell you to go to hell and that you shouldn't of messed with it because now your tranny warranty is VOID!
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree with LiQiCE and CJITTY - Take the car back and have them deal with it. You touching it could cause more problems with Acura than it's worth. I would ask that they provide you with a loaner right away while they keep the car and be considerate. Raising hell from the moment you walk in will only put them on the defensive, and could work against you.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

it cant be installed wrong for starters. it can only go in 1 way

and like i said. your tranny could have been dying for the last month and now its finally starting to go. the part they inspect for the oil jet kit has nothing to do with failing.

i dont mean to sound like a ass, but what are you going to do? pull it out? its not going to make the tranny better. the 3rd gear clutch pack is shot if it is. if the tranny is dying bring it to the dealer, dont try to remove it your self. but if you feel the need to, i already told you how a few post's up. but by you removing it acura may opt to not cover your tranny?
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced

If you want the jet kit outta there then make the dealer remove it. Don't give them a reason to deny your warranty.

BTW - Now that I have the jet my shifts are smooth almost to the point of feeling like it's nearly slipping. Silky smooth is okay for "family" driving but it should shift hard if I'm on it.
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Racer

Can I tell them that I don't want the oil jet kit installed??! =P Coz alot of you ppl are complaining...but I will see.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will removing the jet kit = VOID Tranny warranty ?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The tranny failing after the install of the kit is nothing more than coincidence. It would have happened with or without the kit. My tranny went from good to bad in the span of a few minutes/miles, without any kit.

Yes a few people had their trannies fail after the kit was put in, but its nothing more than coincidental timing. Better lubrication of various parts of the tranny will not cause an early failure.

These kits have nothing to do with our major tranny issues anyway. The failing 3rd gear clutch packs we experience, are not adressed by these kits; They were developed for a different issue.
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
The tranny failing after the install of the kit is nothing more than coincidence. It would have happened with or without the kit. My tranny went from good to bad in the span of a few minutes/miles, without any kit.

Yes a few people had their trannies fail after the kit was put in, but its nothing more than coincidental timing. Better lubrication of various parts of the tranny will not cause an early failure.

These kits have nothing to do with our major tranny issues anyway. The failing 3rd gear clutch packs we experience, are not adressed by these kits; They were developed for a different issue.
THANK YOU!
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bottom line is this. Acura has stated that a recall is in place to help prevent tranny issues. They install a kit free of charge to hopefully help you out. You go and start messing with a recall repaired/installed part or deny getting the jet kit installed, DO NOT be surprised if Acura gives you the finger and denies your warranty. I mean, although the tranny is not perfect before or after the recall, you have to be aware of losing all rights with warranty should you go messin with shit. Leave it alone, take it back to the dealer. At least that way, you have recourse to get a new tranny if it fails or fails again. Does this make sense to anyone else but me? Call me crazy I guess. It's simple common sense if you ask me.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Bottom line is this. Acura has stated that a recall is in place to help prevent tranny issues. They install a kit free of charge to hopefully help you out. You go and start messing with a recall repaired/installed part or deny getting the jet kit installed, DO NOT be surprised if Acura gives you the finger and denies your warranty. I mean, although the tranny is not perfect before or after the recall, you have to be aware of losing all rights with warranty should you go messin with shit. Leave it alone, take it back to the dealer. At least that way, you have recourse to get a new tranny if it fails or fails again. Does this make sense to anyone else but me? Call me crazy I guess. It's simple common sense if you ask me.
i agree 100%.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Yep.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
it cant be installed wrong for starters.
My comment was in reference to the service bulletin which states to check for transmission fluid leaks after installing the oil jet kit. If the car was slowly leaking tranny fluid, it could cause some slipping during shifting.

I guess it wouldnt really be installed 'wrong' per se. But it wouldn't be right either
Old 11-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Anyone know the torque spec for the jet bolt? Is it the same as the original filler plug?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
My tranny was fine, perfect... I never redlined on it or else but after they installed the kit and it started slipping and acting weird
There is no point to take out the oil jet. If your tranny has already started to slip, the clutch packs are failing. The only solution is to get your tranny replaced. The replacement tranny will also have the oil jet, only inside the tranny.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Racer

take out the oil jet kit = stupid

no offense but it's only going to cause you more problems if you remove it (problems in the tranny and with the dealer)
Old 11-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
My comment was in reference to the service bulletin which states to check for transmission fluid leaks after installing the oil jet kit. If the car was slowly leaking tranny fluid, it could cause some slipping during shifting.

I guess it wouldnt really be installed 'wrong' per se. But it wouldn't be right either
oh, because it can only go in 1 way, the only thig i can think of that would be wrong is if they didnt tighten a clamp enough

as to rking Anyone know the torque spec for the jet bolt? Is it the same as the original filler plug?

which bolt you talking about. the oil jet slides into a modified bolt with a hole into it. i would imagine that would be the same as the factory filler plug. the bolt that actually holds the jet kit in doesnt have to be that tight, (if i remember right) mine was around 13ft/lbs
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Your tranny would have broken sooner or later even without the oil jet kit.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Aw c'mon! Take it out! Sound like you know what you're doing! You da man! Show 'em!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:51 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you remove this jet by yourself, not only will acura totally null and void any warantee you have on the car, you will be giving up your right to ANY litigation you may have to take in the event of an accident related to tranny failure because you dicked with it yourself. i would not touch it if i were you. bottom line is our trannies suck. i never had any problem with mine until one morning it started whining. it drove great up to the day i had the new tranny put in. you can never tell with these.

SSTS
Florida Wen (09-12-2023)
Old 11-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
How do you add tranny fluid not with the oil jet installed?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bxscig
How do you add tranny fluid not with the oil jet installed?
with out the jet kit you remove the 17mm bolt on the top of the tranny.
with the jet kit you remove the 12mm bolt that holds the jet kit in and pull straight up. its in the normal fill hole on the tranny
Old 11-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Racer

i think it was pure luck.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nick04tl
i think it was pure luck.
more like bad luck
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
This has been a very amusing thread to read...thanks for the entertainment. As stated by several others, do not remove anything that the dealership installed, it will give them a reason not to warranty anything. Take your car back to the dealer and have them look at it. Dont be stupid about it, they are already in the wrong (or responsible) for the tranny recall. I'm sure they would have no problem nailing you for something if you removed the part yourself.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Kollage is funn!

and also, i just got it done...thank goodness, so far everything's fine....BUT.....if it DOES act up, why can't you just take it back and have them look at it....i'd take it back in a heartbeat...

OH BTW....for you guys that have been to PARK AVE ACURA in NJ.....the place is freakin AMAZING....they have a FLEET...yes a FLEET of brand new 04 TLs loaners (could be 05s....dunno).....it's amazing. ANYWAY-......just let them look at it. i know they aren't the smartest, (they told me the reason my gas pedal was sticking was because of an improper floormat)......(it wasn't the floormat).....
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Oil Jet kit ..could it cause the tansmission to fail or color of fluid to change?

Quick Reply: How to remove the oil jet kit????