How Much Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much Zaino

I'm sure this topic has been discussed at some point but I was not having a lot of luck with the search button.

I just tried Zaino for the first time and am very impressed. My question is how much Z-2 do you usually use for one coat? I called Zaino Bros and was told that 1 ounce will do the car three times. I think I was using about twice that amount. Has anyone been able to do it with that little and does it make a difference if you use more on each coat?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tlsblack
I'm sure this topic has been discussed at some point but I was not having a lot of luck with the search button.

I just tried Zaino for the first time and am very impressed. My question is how much Z-2 do you usually use for one coat? I called Zaino Bros and was told that 1 ounce will do the car three times. I think I was using about twice that amount. Has anyone been able to do it with that little and does it make a difference if you use more on each coat?

Thanks for your help.
The less you use the better. You only want a thin coat to be applied to the car ... The thicker you put it on the longer it takes to try and then when it does dry you're just wiping most of it off onto a towel anyways. When I use the Zaino applicator pad, I just make an 'X' in the pad. If you look at the pad standing up so its taller rather than shorter I would put the X at the top of the pad and continue diagonally down until I hit the other side. Repeat to form an 'X'. That usually takes up about 1/3 of the applicator pad. Then I apply that amount of the Zaino onto a large part of the car. I usually separate it out into the roof, the front (including the hood), the left/right sides and then the rear.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I get about 2 coats from 1/2 ounce. I use Z6 on a damp yellow pad to apply it. Z6 makes application a lot smoother. IMO, I've notice that 2 coats spaced out a couple of days is better than 6 coats (w/zfx) in 2 days. I believe in giving the Zaino a day or so to "cure".
Thinner coats come with time and practice.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
I get about 2 coats from 1/2 ounce. I use Z6 on a damp yellow pad to apply it. Z6 makes application a lot smoother. IMO, I've notice that 2 coats spaced out a couple of days is better than 6 coats (w/zfx) in 2 days. I believe in giving the Zaino a day or so to "cure".
Thinner coats come with time and practice.
Wow 2 coats from 1/2 ounce. I way overdid it. I did use ZFX and found it took a couple hours to cure in 65 degree weather.

When you say you use Z6 to apply it, do you mean that you squirt Z6 on an applicator and then squirt the Zaino on top of it?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
The less you use the better. You only want a thin coat to be applied to the car ... The thicker you put it on the longer it takes to try and then when it does dry you're just wiping most of it off onto a towel anyways. When I use the Zaino applicator pad, I just make an 'X' in the pad. If you look at the pad standing up so its taller rather than shorter I would put the X at the top of the pad and continue diagonally down until I hit the other side. Repeat to form an 'X'. That usually takes up about 1/3 of the applicator pad. Then I apply that amount of the Zaino onto a large part of the car. I usually separate it out into the roof, the front (including the hood), the left/right sides and then the rear.
Thanks for the tip. Good pictures - I didn't get close to your shine.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cleaned my car for over 5hours yesterday. I had purchased a SIMONIZE power orbital buffer a few weeks ago and used all of the pads that came with it except one. So yesterday I put on Meguiars Cleaner Wax 2 coats, Meguiars Polish 1 coat, Meguiars Yellow canuba wax (no.26), Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax 1 coat ALL BY HAND, I was too tired to even post last night.

Then because I had only one pad left for the buffer, I used the pad on the last and final coat applying the Gold Class wax. the power buffer put the wax on sooooo thin I had to look at the reflection and then buff over it to fade the reflection out, there was soo much less wax used with the power buffer. By hand the wax builds up when it dries, with the power buffer I was amazed on how little wax actually went on. but it worked great - think I am goint ot get more pads before I wax the car next, save a hell of a lot of time.

Will post pics soon
Old 04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow 2 coats from 1/2 ounce. I way overdid it. I did use ZFX and found it took a couple hours to cure in 65 degree weather.

When you say you use Z6 to apply it, do you mean that you squirt Z6 on an applicator and then squirt the Zaino on top of it?

Thanks
Yes, I take a yellow foam applicator, dunk it in water and ring it out so it's just damp. Then I give it a shot or two of Z6 and then put Z2/ZFX or Z5/ZFX. It just helps the applicator slide better on the paint from my experiences. After I apply and remove a layer, I then go around the whole car with Z6 and a towel, spraying and wiping it down. I helps add a little "pop" to the paint.

If it's taking a long time to dry, chances are it's on there a little too much. Worst case, your just wasting a little product here and there. No harm done.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I cleaned my car for over 5hours yesterday. I had purchased a SIMONIZE power orbital buffer a few weeks ago and used all of the pads that came with it except one. So yesterday I put on Meguiars Cleaner Wax 2 coats, Meguiars Polish 1 coat, Meguiars Yellow canuba wax (no.26), Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax 1 coat ALL BY HAND, I was too tired to even post last night.

I didn't think you could mix a carnauba wax with a polymer wax (Gold Class Liquid) ... ??
Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spent four hours yesterday detailing the car and let me tell you my right shoulder is hurting! I did two coats of Z5 w/ZFX and used probably 1-1.5 ounces (I guess in between what other members use). I also clayed the car and did a Dawn wash before doing the Zaino and finished it off with a Z6 coating. Car looks nice but all the little rock chips (front bumper and hood are littered with chips) makes it harder and harder to be diligent about detailing the car. I love the shine I get but no matter what I do the chips are a bummer! I'll post pics later.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:17 PM

Old 04-20-2004, 01:28 PM

shoulders burning.....shoulders burining.....in the morning..

This six min. editing FU(KING SUCKS!!! what a waste of time!!!!

The shine isn't tooo bad....I need a clay baring and to get some Meguiars NXT Wax, temp sold out around here.

This is what I used.

What do you think???
Old 04-20-2004, 02:00 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks pretty good. The beauty of a light colored car is that it looks clean longer but won't shine as nicely as a dark colored one. Your car looks nice and clean....mmmmmmmmmm!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 PM

The shine isn't tooo bad....I need a clay baring and to get some Meguiars NXT Wax, temp sold out around here.
Residual: where can you get the Meguiars NXT line in the GTA? ...thought could only get that online... ?

also, does the bottle say you are allowed to use carnauba wax *and* polymer wax (the Gold Class) on the car together?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

This six min. editing FU(KING SUCKS!!! what a waste of time!!!!

What do you think???
Looks great. I used to swear by Carnauba and I still think it looks great and lasts a long time. My problem is that I could not master getting it all off. I have not used it on my TL-S but I did on my prior car and, like magic, white streaks would appear in the weeks following the waxing. Especially in the cracks like where the doors, hood and trunk meet. It did last though.

One thing I have noticed with the Zaino is that getting it off was very easy and I have not yet found any traces of it a week later.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM

One thing I have noticed with the Zaino is that getting it off was very easy and I have not yet found any traces of it a week later.

Thanks I might try Zaino.

And with regards to the Meguiars NXT in the GTA. Crappy Tire (hahaha SC354 works there), Canadian tire on dufferin and 7 area HAD it. SC354 knows the guys there (he works at a different store), they had over 70 bottles of the NXT go on the shelf at 5 o'clock and by 8 that night they were totally sold out!!!! 70 bottles in 3 hours!!!

We are awaiting the re-oreder. I don't think any other Crappy Tire has the NXT, SC345 says the guy at that dufferin store has a nice Supra and is in charge of ordering products soo, he ordered the NXT right when it was available. Most likely that other CT stores will follow suit. I have heard of another store at dufferin and finch that might have it, but I think that is a custom auto place, not a chain store like Crappy Tire.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

If you're getting streaks with carnubas, try a Quick Detailer. I've been using Meg's Final Inspection and Zaino Z6 a lot lately. Meg's FI is an underrated product in my book. Just spray the streaked area and then wipe it down. After washing, it's also nice to go over the whole car with a spray and wipe down.
Zaino will dries clear, so it doesn't leave behind the residue.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:09 PM

Thanks I might try Zaino.

And with regards to the Meguiars NXT in the GTA. Crappy Tire (hahaha SC354 works there), Canadian tire on dufferin and 7 area HAD it.

Residual: Do you know which products from the NXT line they had -- was it the car wash solution or the NXT wax, etc... ? keep me posted - i'd run out and get some too if i knew they had it...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SK2003TypeS
If you're getting streaks with carnubas, try a Quick Detailer. I've been using Meg's Final Inspection and Zaino Z6 a lot lately. Meg's FI is an underrated product in my book. Just spray the streaked area and then wipe it down. After washing, it's also nice to go over the whole car with a spray and wipe down.
Zaino will dries clear, so it doesn't leave behind the residue.
Thanks for the tip. I have an Explorer that I have used carnauba on and will probably continue to. I will try the Z6 this summer when I do it. I think I will keep using Zaino on the TL for now.

Residual, I may try that NXT this summer as well. There is a non-chain auto parts store near me that carries it. They are not cheap but the guy at the store swears by the Meguiars line. One reason I used the carnauba historically is that winters are long here in MA and I could put a coat on in the fall and still get see water beads in April. We'll see next winter how the Zaino holds up.