How Many Miles When New TL Delivered!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by smoothnyc
well me personally ..i know its next to impossible but i want 0.1 miles on my car when i pick it up on friday...i see sales people at the dealer drive the heck out of car just to go 50 feet...i told my salesman that i dont want the car if it has more than 5 miles on it...he told me i should be getting it with almost no miles...im comfortable with 4 miles or less...only cause i wanted to be the first one to test the engine
I don't think you are going to get it with that type of mileage. Remember that the Technician will have to check the car out before it is delivered to you. This could be driving the car to test the cruise control brakes A/C & engine response ect. You will get a new car Inspection sheet that has the stuff the Technician should have checked. I know that ACURA says somewhere the cars will be deliverd to you with no more that an X number of miles on it. It also depends on where they take the cars for dealer prep. My other 2 Honda Accords that I got brand new from the same dealership each had more miles on them. The 90 ACCORD had 15 miles & the 94 ACCORD had 40. I think they drove the 94 from another dealership because it had a destination placard to another dealership. That other dealership is about 20 miles from the other one straight down the road. This car was on the lot so I did not order it but it was brand new. This was the 1st shipment of the 1994 ACCORDS. Honda had just released the new design that Thursday & I was at the dealer that Saturday.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine had around 7 mi. I test drove it for 5 mi and
the contract stated 12 mi. When I checked out
the car, the car still had white plastic sheet on
and gas tank was almost empty. I helped
the salesperson to peel them all off.

-- william
Old 03-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I had 17 miles on my TL when I first got it
Old 03-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Chien

hmm.. check ur contract... there should be a note saying ur car should be under certain miles when deliver....
Maybe in Canada, but not in CA AFAICT...what I mean is that the contract will state how many miles are on the odometer at time of delivery (meaning, when you sign it--not when the car is first brought to the dealership) but nothing that states that the mileage must be under a certain figure.

Tony
Old 03-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: How Many Miles When New TL Delivered!!!

Originally posted by deeyes
Hello All,

I want to know how many miles on your TL when it was brand new delivered?

My dealer is convincing me to get one with 30 miles on it. I am thinking it should had been test-drove.

Because last time my new Maxima only has 5 miles upon its delivery.

Your comments please!

I had 4 miles....
Old 03-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Instructor

7 miles when i got mine, then the guys from the dealer took it to get a full tank of gas and washed etc, then i saw the mileage somewhere in the 20's!
Old 03-21-2002, 12:47 PM
Instructor

When I picked up my car it had 3 miles on it
Old 03-21-2002, 02:02 PM
Drifting

7 miles on my car when it was new.

I'd never get a car with more than 8-10 miles on it because of several reasons:
  • It was probably driven very hard (break-in period, anyone?)
  • It may have been a loaner or a demo car.
  • It may have had a problem that had to be fixed by driving it to the body or paint shop.
  • It may have been ferried from one dealership to another (no doubt by a pimply 17-year-old who drove it to redline all the way).
  • It may have been a return from a dissatisfied customer.
  • It may have been taken out on a joyride (especially true for high-horsepower cars).
Old 03-21-2002, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Miles...

Mine had 6 miles on it. I was surprised considering how popular of a car the TL-S is.

Kegrun
Old 03-21-2002, 02:17 PM
Racer

My TL had 58 miles on it..... it was driven from one dealer to where I was buying my TL cause some dumb ass sold my car at lunch (I forgot my title for my Volvo, so I returned to the dealer next day and my silver TL was gone... ) That's why I got WDP and no navi...... silver had navi
Old 03-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daverman
I'd never get a car with more than 8-10 miles on it because of several reasons:
So I guess that means you'd never buy any used car...

On a more general note--how do you guys determine at what point how many miles on a new car is too much to even consider buying? Like I was saying, is there any statistical data which correlates the mileage point at which anything more than X number of miles on a new vehicle at time of purchase means higher probability or possibility of problems?

Hypothetically speaking, someone could have revved the heck out of the engine, let it run on idle for an hour, do burnouts, or whatever without necessarily putting lots of miles on a new car.

Again, I'm not saying that it makes no sense to buy a vehicle with very little mileage, but to imply that buying one with more than let's say 20 miles is absolutely asking for trouble is sorta stretching it. Like I said, ask those people who posted tranny or engine failures on this board...

Tony
Old 03-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Advanced

7 Miles. It still had all the protective plastic on the car and the seats.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tdoh

On a more general note--how do you guys determine at what point how many miles on a new car is too much to even consider buying? Like I was saying, is there any statistical data which correlates the mileage point at which anything more than X number of miles on a new vehicle at time of purchase means higher probability or possibility of problems?

Hypothetically speaking, someone could have revved the heck out of the engine, let it run on idle for an hour, do burnouts, or whatever without necessarily putting lots of miles on a new car.

Again, I'm not saying that it makes no sense to buy a vehicle with very little mileage, but to imply that buying one with more than let's say 20 miles is absolutely asking for trouble is sorta stretching it. Like I said, ask those people who posted tranny or engine failures on this board...

Tony
If I can remeber there is something from ACURA that states that new car will not have no more than X number of miles on it at time of delivery to you. Its around here somewhere.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by FTM-1
If I can remeber there is something from ACURA that states that new car will not have no more than X number of miles on it at time of delivery to you. Its around here somewhere.
If you can find it, I'd be interested; in the meantime, here is how CA defines "new vehicle":

CVC 430--a new vehicle is one constructed entirely from new parts that has never been the subject of a retail sale; registered with the department; or registered with the appropriate agency or authority of any other state or other political entity.

Note that nowhere does it mention anything about how many miles such a vehicle can have before it is no longer considered "new". IOW--a brand-new vehicle with 2000 miles on it can technically be considered new if it had never been sold even once during the time that it accumulated all those miles. Your only fair recourse if you're contemplating buying a high-mileage new vehicle would be to negotiate a lower price; if you do decide to buy, you cannot demand that the dealer note that said vehicle is not new, nor insinuate that the dealer fraudulently sold you such a vehicle as new.

Of course, YMMV in other states but somehow I think that other states would probably define a "new" vehicle similarly.

Tony
Old 03-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
7 miles.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Cruisin'

55 miles on it. they did a dealer transfer from a dealership about 20 mles away. it was all good! just give it a thorough look over before making your final decision.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by tdoh
I have different criteria for a used car. I'd pay a whole lot less for it, for one thing, and any recurring problems that the car has would likely be apparent in its service records (which I will always demand to review), etc. We're talking about new cars here. Different thing.

It's possible, but not likely. However, plenty of miles on your "new" car makes it likely that it has been driven without regard to the break-in period.

Again, I'm not saying that it makes no sense to buy a vehicle with very little mileage, but to imply that buying one with more than let's say 20 miles is absolutely asking for trouble is sorta stretching it.
I'm not saying it's asking for trouble, but I do think the first 1,000 miles of the car determine the next 60,000 miles more than any other period. Does it mean that a 50 mile "new" car will always have more problems than a 5 mile car? No, but it makes it more likely that it's been abused before it was delivered to you.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i had about 20 miles on my TL-S....most of which came from when they took the car to the tint shop to get my car tinted.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Mine had 30 but that was because it my dealer drove it from the other dealership. I would never get a car that was test driven.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Mine had 2 miles on it!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:52 PM
6th Gear

I need to stop driving

1 month and 4 days ago my car had 6 miles on it ......today 4,428
Old 03-25-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro

Mine had 5 miles. It was on the feature "stage". The one I test drove had 100 and something . The center arm rest was popping up on its own! I didn't feel right about that one. The salesman let me take it on my own because I am a repeat customer; and I just ragged it out down the highway (just like the guy before me did, I'm sure ).