How to get moisture out of the light casing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get moisture out of the light casing...

Hello folks,

I cleared my headlights last sunday and on monday i noticed that there was some moisture behind both lenses. Well, today i removed the high beam bulb and let the car sit in the hot california sun hoping that the low humidity and heat would dry out the lights and the moisture would be gone. Well, it worked almost. The right front light is fine, no condensation at all. However, the left front light still has moisture. I went to the gas station and tried using the air hose to blow air into the light housing hoping that would get the condensation off the lens. that didnt work. Then, i tried using a heat gun on the outside of the lens (all with the high beam bulb off to vent) and that didnt work either. So now i am in a grind. What the heck can i do?? Anyone have any ideas? Austin519 suggested using some of that silica dessicant but i havent a clue as to where to get any from. I dont have any new shoes just lying around and then there is the problem of how do i take it out of the light housing once its in. The only other alternative i can see is prying apart the light (again) and cleaning it out and reasealing it. That is a last resort type of thing. I dont want to do that for fear of damaging the casing. PLEASE HELP!! Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:16 PM
Peach Tea

man that must suck. seek professional help
Old 03-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

well if you have condinstation first of all than mean the headlight must have a leak so on a rainy day or when you wash your car there is a good chance of it happening again....but if you wanna get a quick fix..take out both lights and continue to blow air in one hold and out the other it will give a more complete cycling to vent out...., but good luck
Old 03-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Pro

i have similar problems only with my passenger side headlight..but then again i don have a tl..but try to RESEAL all the sealings....if you do that and if it still occurs..i guess ur stuck..
Old 03-20-2002, 03:08 AM
Pro

Try a hairdryer...

You say that you tried blowing air from a compressor into the lamp fixture? Air compressors are notorious for having moisture and oil contamination coming out of them. Unless a dehydrator is installed on the air compressor you could be adding more moisture to area than you are removing by airflow. As someone else suggested try blowing air in through one lamp hole and out the other. But, I would try to use a hair dryer to blow into the hole. I wouldn't go so far as to use a heat gun that is used to heat shrink tubing, as they get REALLY hot! You could end up melting some plastice, etc. AND BE REALLY SCREWED! But I should think that a hair dryer would be warm and Create low humidity. Start out warm and work up to warmer temps. It might take longer than you think to dry it out. Use some kind of tubing or funnel type of gag attached to the hair dryer to help insert and guide the air around inside of he housing. Hopefully this works, and hopefully the condensation doesn't re-occur.... GOOD LUCK!