How do you access the equalizer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How do you access the equalizer?

Does anybody know how to access the equalizer? I have an '00 with Nav and I want to get to the equalizer so I can access its subwoofer wires so I can connect them to my aftermarket headunit. I know I could run an RCA down the middle of the car, but since I have my dash already opened up for the new headunit, I thought it might be easier just to access the equalizer. I'm guessing its behind the navigation screen, but I don't know how to access it.

Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
...::AOA::...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the EQ is behind the heater controls, or if you have NAVI, its behind the screen. you have to take out the instument bezel (4 screws - 2 on top, 2 right under the odometer wedge, then just pulls out), and the screen (4 screws), and its in back. i dont think you can do what you want to do because of the ass backwards wiring of the bose stereo. the amp for the sub is behind the right rear seat (you have to remove the seat)... do a search, this topic has been discussed thousands of times....for what its worth, your best bet is to get an aftermarket sub and amp
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply. I will eventually get the new sub and amp, I just wanted to try this out for a quick fix. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm just planning on pulling the eq connector our and splicing in to pin 3 (for inside RCA cable), pin 10 (for outside RCA cable). And of course I'll splice the aftermarket headunit's remote start to A1 from the factory headunit's connector.

Does this not work?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im not sure thats going ot work. When you bypass the eq (which your going to be doing by sticking in a aftermarket HU) people have tried to do custom wiring to get it to work and havent. Im not sure after bypasing the eq the sub amp gets power any more. You will have to try it and see. If not you will have to test the rear amp to see if its getting power
Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
9th Gear

I'm basically just following the advice from the sticky it the DIY section, "Keeping factory sub when adding aftermarket headunit (99' - 03' TL)" and modifying it so it's accessed at the eq rather than the amp itself.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/keeping-factory-sub-when-adding-aftermarket-headunit-99-03-tl-326253/

It looks like the secret is to make sure to ground the grey (pin 8) wire coming from the eq as well.

I'll report back with my results.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
...::AOA::...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow kris, after reading that thread, i guess they were successful...i stand corrected. i still bet it doesnt sound as good as and aftermarket setup, but if youre looking for trunk space its a good alternative i guess
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Thats exactly what i thought. When bypassing the EQ you loose the way the signal/power go to the amp. You need to address that then it will work
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
9th Gear

OK, so it worked after trial and error and a little bit of luck...

I finally have the DEFINITIVE answer on how to connect the BOSE sub to an aftermarket headunit (I actually found it out by accident):

* Connect new head-unit to car's factory harness using Metra harness
* Connect Remote wire from harness to factory "orange" (or appropriate color) remote turn-on wire
* Connect RCA sub-out from head-unit to Bose amp's signal wires (at Bose EQ or at Amp) using wiring diagram
* NEW: Connect Remote wire from your headunit to the "Antenna Turn-On" from the Metra harness.

Basically, our TLs do not have a power antenna, so that pin actually tells the amp just to turn on, but not to start playing; sortof like its standby mode. The orange wire from the EQ just tells it to come out of standby mode and start playing. You'll actually notice that you'll hear little thumps when changing sources and skipping tracks. I bet the Bose EQ used to tell the amp to go into standby mode at those times.

I found this out by accident by trying to connect the "Antenna Turn-On" lead from the Metra Harness to the headunit's "Power Antenna" wire while in tuner mode. The reception didn't change whatsoever, but I heard a subtle little click where the amp should be. So I tried just putting the "Power Antenna" from the Metra harness to the "Remote Turn-On" wire from the headunit. I then tried connecting the RCA sub lines, but still nothing... but there was loud thumping when I connect the lines. I knew I was close. Finally, I also put the orange EQ wire to headunit's "Remote Turn-on" as well. That did it!

I hope this finally puts this to rest.

One more thing, you do not need to attach the grey "shielding" wire from the EQ to ground, but it does reduce the some ground loop noise.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I figured when bypassing the eq that it cut power signal to the amp on the find!