How do I use Porter Cable polisher?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I use Porter Cable polisher?

Guys,

After a search of this forum, Porter Cable seems like the one to buy. So... this Xmas I'm going to buy one for myself as a gift. But I just have few questions:

1. With the polisher, do I still need to apply polish or/and wax by hand first?
2. Do you re-use the pad or use a new one everytime you polish or wax.
3. The Zymol wax people talking about, is it "Zymol Cleaner Wax" or actual Zymol wax?

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Try going to www.autopia.ws...wonderful forum
Old 11-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: How do I use Porter Cable polisher?

Originally posted by kchao2000
Guys,

After a search of this forum, Porter Cable seems like the one to buy. So... this Xmas I'm going to buy one for myself as a gift. But I just have few questions:

1. With the polisher, do I still need to apply polish or/and wax by hand first?
2. Do you re-use the pad or use a new one everytime you polish or wax.
3. The Zymol wax people talking about, is it "Zymol Cleaner Wax" or actual Zymol wax?

Thanks guys for your help.
If your not experienced with working with a motorized polisher .... i would just stay away from them .... in the un trained hand they can do alot more harm then good.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Racer

It depends on which Porter Cable polisher you're talking about.

I use the Porter Cable 7424. It's a random orbital polisher NOT a rotary polisher. Leave the rotary polishers to those who have been trained to use them.

The 7424 is the same polisher you can see used at www.meguiars.com on their informational video on polisher use.

Meguiars got Porter Cable to make it and then started charging over $200 for it. I got mine brand new for ~$100 after doing some searches for the non-Meguiars labeled version.

You do need to buy the Meguiars polishing pads for it. They're about $6 each. Use a different pad for every product. I use one for the cleaner and one for the polish. Wax should always be applied by hand.

You can't screw up with this polisher. I took a black car full of swirl marks and brought it to a mirror finish in one FULL day. Obviously your choice of products will make a difference as well. I only use Meguiars to date. I'm considering Zaino but have been very happy with my Meguiars products.

YMMV. Don't be afraid of using an orbital polisher. Be VERY afraid of rotary polishers!!

Good luck and ask any questions you may have! I've done this a bunch.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Racer

Re: Re: How do I use Porter Cable polisher?

Originally posted by NsX Pilot

If your not experienced with working with a motorized polisher .... i would just stay away from them .... in the un trained hand they can do alot more harm then good.
I'm thinking to get the Porter Cable 7424. Is it really hard to learn how to use it?
Old 11-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Racer

Go to www.meguiars.com and watch their online video.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bozzchem
It depends on which Porter Cable polisher you're talking about.

I use the Porter Cable 7424. It's a random orbital polisher NOT a rotary polisher. Leave the rotary polishers to those who have been trained to use them.

The 7424 is the same polisher you can see used at www.meguiars.com on their informational video on polisher use.

Meguiars got Porter Cable to make it and then started charging over $200 for it. I got mine brand new for ~$100 after doing some searches for the non-Meguiars labeled version.

You do need to buy the Meguiars polishing pads for it. They're about $6 each. Use a different pad for every product. I use one for the cleaner and one for the polish. Wax should always be applied by hand.

You can't screw up with this polisher. I took a black car full of swirl marks and brought it to a mirror finish in one FULL day. Obviously your choice of products will make a difference as well. I only use Meguiars to date. I'm considering Zaino but have been very happy with my Meguiars products.

YMMV. Don't be afraid of using an orbital polisher. Be VERY afraid of rotary polishers!!

Good luck and ask any questions you may have! I've done this a bunch.
a orbital polisher will only do less damage ...but being that this person seems to be an expert go ahead and use one im sure he will pay for your damages if you do any harm to your paint.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:06 PM
Racer

I have the 7424 and it works great, I apply the wax by hand and remove it with the 7424. Also, it's pretty hard to screw up the paint with this polisher.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Racer

A search in google of 'hand polishing vs. buffing' or something similar will get you started in your research. Here is the first article I found:

http://www.automotivedetailing.com/articles/buffer.htm

With some common sense and the use of high quality products, your chances of damaging the paint are pretty slim. Could you damage it? Sure. Drop a buffing pad on the floor and then start using it. Buff nice and hard on edges and corners. Leave the buffer in the same spot for a few minutes, etc...

I'm no expert. I use high quality products and a little common sense when I buff my vehicles.

Maybe you could do some searches on the "dangers" of using a random orbital buffer and post your results.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

im not tryin to flame anyone here so dont get me wrong i just think its better to do it by hand till you are familiar with detailing. I personally wouldnt want to try it till i watch someone else use one......or if i had a car that i could use as a guinea pig to pratice on first.

This was posted as one of the best deals on the porter-cable polisher

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest
Old 11-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Racer

Originally posted by NsX Pilot
im not tryin to flame anyone here so dont get me wrong i just think its better to do it by hand till you are familiar with detailing. I personally wouldnt want to try it till i watch someone else use one......or if i had a car that i could use as a guinea pig to pratice on first.

This was posted as one of the best deals on the porter-cable polisher

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm thinking to get one and try it on my '97 Altima which almost has 140k miles on it. Then I'll go try on my wife's '96 Civic which she is planning to get rid of it next year. Until I feel comfortable with machine polisher then I'll use it on my TL-S.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

I did a lot of web searching before buying the 7424. It has not let me down. The chances of damaging your paint are minimal as long as you use common sense. First, go to some recommended sites to read about its use. Second, use the right foam pads. Yellow is suitable for polishing and waxing with minimal abrasive action. There's also a black pad for layering polish on a previously waxed surface. Third, use a seperate pad for each product and always hand wash them after use. Fourth, use the lower speeds. Yeah it goes to 6,000 rpm but unless you are doing some serious compounding keep it at 1500 to 2500 rpm. Fifth, use the right products. I use nothing but Mequiars professional line ( in the tan bottles). Stay away from their consumer line in the red bottles. You'll get great results starting with their Swirl remover and progressing to their Mirror Glaze #7 polish and #26 High-Tech Yellow wax. Finally, don't drop the machine on your car! I'm serious, thats the highest likelihood of damaging your finish with this polisher. That's it. Just relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Your car will look showroom new. BTW, Coastal Tools had the best price, hands down.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:13 PM
Racer

OK, let me get this straight?

a orbital polisher will only do less damage ...but being that this person seems to be an expert go ahead and use one im sure he will pay for your damages if you do any harm to your paint.
I don't remember claiming to be an expert.

AND

Without meaning to(?) you've flamed me without ever even trying to use a buffer YOURSELF.

I've used many different types of buffers on many different cars with GREAT success. If you've done it YOURSELF and can state facts, than that is what this is all about. If all you're doing is stating your opinion, then make sure you make that clear. I have NO intention of steering someone in the wrong direction. I don't want anyone fuc*ing up their finish!!

The use of a buffer is not to be taken lightly. It has to be done with the right tools and the right products...simple!! I'll put my buffer applied work against hand applied work ANY time!!

I don't think it's possible to compare the two. You do the car by hand effectively - 2 days. I do the car effectively with the buffer - 8 hours. Again, I'm no expert, but I don't need to be. I'm not using a high speed rotary buffer...that can ruin a paint job in two minutes....I'm using a random orbital polisher with the PROPER products that can produce an incredible finish in one day.

Don't steer someone away from the better way to do things just because you don't THINK it's the better way. If you KNOW and can VERIFY your statement....then more power to you.

I KNOW and can VERIFY mine. I made the mistake of showing what I could do and had everyone wanting me to do their cars for them. It doesn't work that way. When it's your car...you'll spend the time and effort to make DAMN sure everything is right. When it's someone elses car, you just want to get done and go watch the game.

Cheers all,
bozzchem
Old 11-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Racer

PLEASE, go to this link and watch the online power polishing clinic.

It's the best ad for use of a buffer I've seen. After watching it, do a search for the Porter Cable 7424. It's the buffer they're using in the video but you can get it for about $100 or so vs. the $250 they want for the "Meguiars" version!!

http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm

PM me if you need more info on how to properly use this.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Racer

BTW, you'll need the "Real Player" to watch this demonstration. You can get it at www.real.com. You'll have to do a little bit of searching to get the free version of the player...but you can get it and the video is a worthwhile watch.

I don't know how I can make this easier for you.

I can tell you that I don't work for Meguiars, Porter Cable, or any other car auto manufacturer of aftermarket crap.

All I want to do is help you make your cars finish as good as you can.

I'm a new TL-S owner ( 2003 Anthracite Metallic @400 miles) and I just want to share the info that I know. I trust you'll do the same for me in the future
Old 11-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by bozzchem
PLEASE, go to this link and watch the online power polishing clinic.

It's the best ad for use of a buffer I've seen. After watching it, do a search for the Porter Cable 7424. It's the buffer they're using in the video but you can get it for about $100 or so vs. the $250 they want for the "Meguiars" version!!

http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm

PM me if you need more info on how to properly use this.
Thanks dude. I already checked.