A horsepower question for all the pros here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 07:16 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A horsepower question for all the pros here!

So, like everyone on these threads, I’m looking for more horsepower and a better handling car. After reading many of your posts (and thanks for all the terrific info!), I’m looking at buying sticky tires, CAI, headers, exhaust, and a performance chip from either Jet or Dinan.

My big questions are:

Without the chip, the car should hit 300-310 hp. This is good. Jet will have a chip by September and of course I’d welcome another 10-20 hp. Does anyone think performance chips are worth the $$?

Have I described a good setup or is there a better configuration for more hp?

Are there companies that do for Acura what Dinan does for BMW? I know shops will custom-out the performance-based aspects of Benz, Bimmers, and Vettes. Is there such an animal for Acura?

Thanks in advance! Ben

------------------
2002 TL-S, Black w/underbody kit, spoiler, nav, wood trim, 35% tint all-around.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Pro

Better tires will help, but if you really want the car to handle, get the Comptech springs and sway bars. As far as HP, there are no chips yet, but forget the CAI and the exhaust as they will not add much. The TL-S exhaust is already tuned. Just get the headers

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-15-2001, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very light forged wheels and very sticky ultra performance tires will do more than you can imagine.

I'm getting around 305HP at the crank, and the lighter wheels did more for my overall speed. The MXM4 tires squeel like pigs on new pavement and are impossible to get good traction on take-off on anything but sandpaper like surfaces. Add the dramatic change in wet, dry, and multi surface traction, and some killer tires (like the Toyo T1S Proxies, S03s, RE-730s) and you will at least "hook-up"

What good is the power, when you just burn the tires up. With my current rubber, the VSA light barely comes on with a good take off. With the stock tires, it would light up like a Xmas tree!

Note: Don't confuse the lower weight of wheels for going on a diet. 50 lbs of total lost wheel weight feels like 2 people got tossed out of the car. The car also feels faster in 90 degrees with a full tank, than at 30 degrees with an empty tank. I did this before the headers, sways, and AEM!!!
The car also sticks like glue and I've killed some "hot" cars.

Old 06-15-2001, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW -- the headers and AEM are felt mainly in 5000 - 7000 rpm.

The light wheels are felt through the whole range!
Old 06-15-2001, 07:37 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I think chips are pretty well dialed in these days from the manufacturer - if there were 20 "free" HP available Acura would hand it over. The spark curves are already optimized, although a bit more advance in the midband would provide a torque increase, which is a benefit.

However, there are issues of knock, too much enrichment (which can lower power and cause fried valves and melted catalysts), etc.

I have light wheels and have noticed a bit of improvement in "dartability".
Old 06-15-2001, 07:52 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Roadrage, what kind of wheels do you have and/ or recommend?

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 06-15-2001, 09:39 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Road Rage:
I think chips are pretty well dialed in these days from the manufacturer - if there were 20 "free" HP available Acura would hand it over. The spark curves are already optimized, although a bit more advance in the midband would provide a torque increase, which is a benefit.

However, there are issues of knock, too much enrichment (which can lower power and cause fried valves and melted catalysts), etc.

I have light wheels and have noticed a bit of improvement in "dartability".
Even though I too am interested in a Chip, I agree with RoadRage. I'm not setting my expectations too high and will just wait to see their dyno results before I make my move.

My guess is that the chip may produce 7-15HP depending on how conservative Acura was with theirs.

Old 06-15-2001, 12:49 PM
7th Gear

Cool

All great advice, many thanks! The tires recommended, Toyo TIS Proxies, So3s, RE-730s, anyone prefer one to another?

As for headers, I’m thinking Comptech but are there others that are better or equal costing less?

I have an underbody kit so I really don’t want to go any lower with springs, even if it is only a 1-inch drop. Good tires will sate my appetite for destruction. However, the sway bars…. what do they do and are they worth it?

If a chip gives me 15 or more hp for 1k or less, I’m in. Does anyone have any clue about autoshops that can perform a car overhaul for an Acura like Dinan does for for BMW, Shelby for Mustang, or Callaway for Vettes? Thanks, guys, Ben

------------------
2002 TL-S, Black w/underbody kit, spoiler, nav, wood trim, 35% tint all-around.
Old 06-15-2001, 09:08 PM
Advanced

How much do the light wheel/tire combos weigh compared to stock?
Old 06-15-2001, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I agree with Road Rage. Chips for the most part wont give much gains on a car like ours. They will give much more power on a car like the A4 where the ECU controls the amount of boost to the turbo. I have hard too many stories of people who have spent hundreds on chips that either produced none to minimal gains and I have also heard of several that have actually produced less power than stock on a dyno. So I'd spend the money elsewhere.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde

TL Type-S Forum Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
Old 06-16-2001, 01:22 AM
Pro

I am not sure if this tranny has open differential. if it does, I am looking forward for a LSD.
Old 06-16-2001, 04:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by sboje:
How much do the light wheel/tire combos weigh compared to stock?
The SSR Competitions in 17x8" +48 weigh 14lbs. The Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* weigh 23.8 lbs. Total for one revised wheel is:
14 + 23.8 = 37.8 lbs.

Jens over at Park Ave Acura, said he weighed the CLS wheels (I'd love to know what your TL-S wheels weigh -- I think they are lighter with the 1/2" less width!) at 26 lbs.

The stock tires MXM4 in 215/50-17 weigh 25-26lbs.

So, stock is 51-52 lbs each.

SSR + Toyo 37.8 ~= 38 lbs

Each wheel 51 - 38 = 13 lbs / wheel less.

Old 06-16-2001, 04:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by KJ32:
I am not sure if this tranny has open differential. if it does, I am looking forward for a LSD.

Rick Case said they had a LSD to put in the TLS/CLS. WE shall see. A Acura engineer said that we have an open differential -- no limited slip!

I wouldn't be my life on the TLS, since I don't have the HELMS for it, and the "expert" said the open diff stuff in regards to the CLS.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:22 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I posted a wheel weight link a while back - I think my SSR's weighed in at 17.5 #'s.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc have done many tests of aftermarket performance chips over the years. The results always seem to be the same -- very, very small gains in acceleration (maybe a tenth 0-60) and not much to the top end. I suppose it would be different from car to car, but my opinion -- not worth it.

There was also an article in Road & Track a couple of years ago about an HKS Accord V6 Coupe w/ 277 hp. I remember that the work had been done in L.A. so I assume there is an HKS shop there but I don't know if they do TLs. Might be worth checking into though.

Also, I e-mailed Jackson Racing to see if they had a supercharger application for the TL-S. They told me that they thought Comptech was working on one. That's something that might really improve low-end power and performance. Anyone else heard about this?