Honda ATF DW-1 Drain & Fill review

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Honda ATF DW-1 Drain & Fill review

So I recently did a drain and fill on my tranny. I had my transmission replaced at Acura in Oct 2009 so its been exactly a year on the rebuild with about 17 000 miles already on the rebuilt tranny. So far so good the rebuilt has been holding up very well and its been very smooth, although it wasn't the same "feeling" as the original tranny things that I noticed on the rebuilt:

-Grade Logic seems to be ALOT more sensitive on the rebuilt, when going up hill the tranny will downshift fiercely and pull its way up, the same thing when going downhill the shift feels FIRM and can be felt in the cabin.

- Cold start shifts are hell, it feels as if my tranny fluid was filled was molasses. Tranny shifts very hard and sluggish until warm up then its back to normal.

Now having the ATF-Z1 filled up last year, when it was time this week to do my first drain and fill i decided to try out the new ATF DW-1. The DW-1 is interchangeable and 100% backwards capable with Z1, and can even be mixed.

Now heres where I got a bit scared, DW-1 has lower viscosity than the Z1 and also is a FULL Synthetic fluid versus the z1 that's semi-blend synth. Now I know lower viscosity and a FULL synthetic fluid on our POS trannys are not good news, but i decided to bite the bullet and try it out.

After the drain and fill I took the car for a spin. Shifts feel a tad bit smoother but I dont know if that was just my head. Although I can tell you for sure Cold shifts are ALOT smoother. It was about 32 degrees this morning and as I took off the tranny felt already as if it was already warmed up there was no more sluggish feeling that i'm accustomed to in the mornings.

Just giving you guys an update, I wouldn't recommend DW-1 on older trannies that are holding on for life stick with the trusted Z1 im sure the DW-1 is just for CAFE standars to squeeze out that 1-2mpg. My dealer told me that the use of Z1 in the shop is discontinued but they still carry bottles of Z1 for those older 15-20 year old Acura's that still depend on Z1.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MOBB
So I recently did a drain and fill on my tranny. I had my transmission replaced at Acura in Oct 2009 so its been exactly a year on the rebuild with about 17 000 miles already on the rebuilt tranny. So far so good the rebuilt has been holding up very well and its been very smooth, although it wasn't the same "feeling" as the original tranny things that I noticed on the rebuilt:

-Grade Logic seems to be ALOT more sensitive on the rebuilt, when going up hill the tranny will downshift fiercely and pull its way up, the same thing when going downhill the shift feels FIRM and can be felt in the cabin.

- Cold start shifts are hell, it feels as if my tranny fluid was filled was molasses. Tranny shifts very hard and sluggish until warm up then its back to normal.

Now having the ATF-Z1 filled up last year, when it was time this week to do my first drain and fill i decided to try out the new ATF DW-1. The DW-1 is interchangeable and 100% backwards capable with Z1, and can even be mixed.

Now heres where I got a bit scared, DW-1 has lower viscosity than the Z1 and also is a FULL Synthetic fluid versus the z1 that's semi-blend synth. Now I know lower viscosity and a FULL synthetic fluid on our POS trannys are not good news, but i decided to bite the bullet and try it out.

After the drain and fill I took the car for a spin. Shifts feel a tad bit smoother but I dont know if that was just my head. Although I can tell you for sure Cold shifts are ALOT smoother. It was about 32 degrees this morning and as I took off the tranny felt already as if it was already warmed up there was no more sluggish feeling that i'm accustomed to in the mornings.

Just giving you guys an update, I wouldn't recommend DW-1 on older trannies that are holding on for life stick with the trusted Z1 im sure the DW-1 is just for CAFE standars to squeeze out that 1-2mpg. My dealer told me that the use of Z1 in the shop is discontinued but they still carry bottles of Z1 for those older 15-20 year old Acura's that still depend on Z1.
#1 - if you "know its not good", then why use it? i'm sticking with Z1 until they no longer carry it or i can't find it.

#2 - the smoother shifts are there, but not because of the switch in fluid from Z1 to DW-1. it's because you have fresh fluid in there.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
mobb has a fresh rebuilt trans, and ok to use different fluid without much concern
in that instance
an old unit--stick with stock fluid
Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought that the Honda Z1 was a 100% conventional petroleum-based ATF. Is it true that it's a synthetic-blend??
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
my tranny is newish about 8k miles, and i plan on doing a drain 3 and add 3 pretty soon. ill give the new fluid a shot, im still under warranty.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 695 Likes on 537 Posts
the new fluid should be compatible, so I dont see why it would be a problem to mix the two?