Honda/Acura to offer 100k Warranty for CL/TL trannys

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb Honda/Acura to offer 100k Warranty for CL/TL trannys

Well, it's been posted on acl.com as well as the TL section of the board... so I figured I'd put it on here too. My guess is that he story from the LA Times probably helped this along... for that you can all thank EricL from acl.com!!

Extended warranty information from Autoweek... click here!!

Extended warranty information from USA Today... click here!!

Extended warranty information from Honda themselves... click here!!
Old 09-20-2002, 11:01 AM
eCo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article doesn't name TL-S specifically (just TL), but surely they're included. This is a very good move, and really one they needed to make.

eCo
Old 09-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by eCo
Article doesn't name TL-S specifically (just TL), but surely they're included. This is a very good move, and really one they needed to make.

eCo
well, the TL-S and CL-S are models/variations of the TL and CL respectively... so you're covered
Old 09-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank God,

This deals with my issue of getting an extended warranty just to cover the tranny.

Thanks to all who have been so vocal and active in this issue.

BTW - Out of curiosity, I still would eventually like to know what the real underlying problem was.

RUF
Old 09-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Instructor

only covers transmission

nevermind. I just read this part:

Honda says the extended warranty, which covers the transmission only, affects about 1 million vehicles. It says 1.6% of those vehicles have had to have transmissions replaced.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by eggbert
So I guess it's coverage for everything?

Not just powertrain?

Extended everything (well, maybe not for those who already have extendeds - refund?) would be great.

I've always had AC troubles with hondas/acuras.

No... it just covers the tranny....

From the Autoweek article:
"The extended warranty will cover affected transmissions for seven years or 100,000 miles. "
Old 09-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Advanced

No, transmissions only go out on people that use sport-shift and red-line their engines all the time.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally so now I can get a SC and mod away without hearing that my high HP numbers are why my tranny will fail.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Instructor

I wonder if Honda Canada will offer the same warranty?

Dirk Diggler.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by Gibrango
No, transmissions only go out on people that use sport-shift and red-line their engines all the time.
Don't even get me started, the transmission failure has to do with a known, admitted, faultly design from Honda. It has nothing to do with the way you drive the car

edit: Oh, I didn't let the images load so I didn't see your smiley, sorry if I took your post the wrong way and disregard my response
Old 09-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
I wonder if Honda Canada will offer the same warranty?

Dirk Diggler.
That's a good Q, call them and find out
Old 09-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Instructor

The AutoWeek article says 'some' 2003 TLs and CLs. I sure hope I receive one of those letters in the next few weeks...
Old 09-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ScotTLTypeS
The AutoWeek article says 'some' 2003 TLs and CLs. I sure hope I receive one of those letters in the next few weeks...
hmmm.... that's a tough call.

1) Hope you get a letter, which means you're covered.. but also means your tranny could fail at any time

2) Hope you don't get a letter which means you should be clear, however, should you have a problem, you don't have the extended warranty (although if your tranny did fail... I'm sure they'd cover it)......
Old 09-20-2002, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by juniorbean

hmmm.... that's a tough call.

1) Hope you get a letter, which means you're covered.. but also means your tranny could fail at any time

2) Hope you don't get a letter which means you should be clear, however, should you have a problem, you don't have the extended warranty (although if your tranny did fail... I'm sure they'd cover it)......

You're probably right on both points!!!

1) Maybe I don't want to get the letter.

2) Now that they've stepped up to the plate on this issue, they probably would cover it anyway.

I feel better now...
Old 09-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

ScotTLTypeS =

BTW all... I added another link... to Honda's News Room....
Old 09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro

Talking

finally some good news about the tranny! All this talk about tranny failures is making me paranoid. Its good to see Honda backing their product, hopefully they'll do more to fix the problem as well.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I do not think the extended warranty is an acceptable solution. Honda/Acura should've issued a recall and replace transmissions in question. I would not feel comfortable driving a car with a transmission ready to quit at any moment at 80 mph.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

what about 99 tl people?????
Old 09-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I too have a 2003 TL-S, manufactured in June of 2002 ... I don't know if I want the letter or not!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro

Does this cover Canada too?
Old 09-20-2002, 08:12 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Good news about the tranny! Who cares what the percentage is, as long as they fix it. HOWEVER, I think that it had to be higher than 1.6% on the TL-S, from what we've seen here.

But, as I said, this will at least get us all through the prime of life for our cars. I guess the thing that always worried me most was that the tranny would die (again) in the off warrnaty period.

:-jon
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro

I asked this question in the TL forum, but no reply. Does this extended warranty on tranny only apply to people who have problem with their tranny now? Or does it apply to all the mentioned models regardless the current status of their tranny? In other word, if my 2000 has 50001 miles and the tranny fails, will it be covered by this extended warranty? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

ALL TLs covered(the years mentioned, anyway), regardless of prior failure history.

It's good to know that Honda has stepped up to the plate on this. It makes me feel much better about keeping the car.

And, yes, I DO think the current failures to date had to do with driving style (not necessarily talking about redlining, either) and mods. Mind you, that doesn't make it right, BUT, if you think that adding a supercharger should have no effect on the longevity of a transmission, well, then, I don't know what to say.

Todd
Old 09-20-2002, 10:27 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by oblio98
Good news about the tranny! Who cares what the percentage is, as long as they fix it. HOWEVER, I think that it had to be higher than 1.6% on the TL-S, from what we've seen here.

But, as I said, this will at least get us all through the prime of life for our cars. I guess the thing that always worried me most was that the tranny would die (again) in the off warrnaty period.

:-jon
Good point. I bet the the other Honda products with less horsepower didn't have the number of failures the CLS/TLS went through. This also means that 1.6% is spread over the ENTIRE lineup. The Honda Oddyssey easily outsells the TL/CL combined so the TL/CL combo probably had more failures than even 3.2%.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro

You know what, when majority of the publics know about this, no one will want to buy our car by the time we sell them, (over 100K or 7 yrs). only way is to trade and get ripped off by dealer.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:15 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by T Ho
And, yes, I DO think the current failures to date had to do with driving style (not necessarily talking about redlining, either) and mods. Mind you, that doesn't make it right, BUT, if you think that adding a supercharger should have no effect on the longevity of a transmission, well, then, I don't know what to say.

Todd
And what would you say to my failure. I only have suspension and cosmetic mods and yet I had a devastating failure.

The failures have nothing to do with the driver. Not only do the gathered stats on this and other sites back this, but my dealer and Honda stated that fact also.

-copland007
Old 09-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Instructor

That really sucks for the ones (me!!) that have already purchased the 7 year, 100k mile warranty because they were paranoid about the tranny when they bought the car!!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro

There will be many other things that break, it's worth it.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:49 AM
Instructor

This is still a poor excuse on acura part. I mean ok now you got the warrenty... and IF your tranny does go out, its free.. well thats good news.. but how about how most have to wait almost A MONTH for it? So basicly you are without a car for a month or so. Still doesnt tickle my pee pee
Old 09-21-2002, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be nice to hear what is excatly wrong with the tranny's. Honda is on the right track and they will surely come up with a more durable tranny. The number of tranny's that may now be repaired under the extended warranty could easily double. I seldom if ever use SS mode and would not even remotely consider my driving habits abusive to the car, I still have the original tires at 44K. Having now had two units replaced, I have to think that something else is the root cause.

I wonder if the VSA feature may be a problem. Is this a feature in the reg TL and other models. Both times just prior to the tranny going the VSA would go on and off constantly.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by LiQiCE
I too have a 2003 TL-S, manufactured in June of 2002 ... I don't know if I want the letter or not!!!

How did you find the exact manufacture date of your vehicle. ? Is it encoded in the VIN # ?
Old 09-21-2002, 04:23 PM
alg
3rd Gear

I was at my dealer today for the new owners clinic. The service manager told me all Tl and TLS are covered regardless of manufactured date. i.e. all the way to 2003.

If they selectively extend the warrent to only a certain VIN # cars it should be a recall situation.i.e, they know that there is a known identifiable problem which has been later been fixed on other models. This would be bad PR f they admit what the cause of hte problem is. Extending a warrenty would not be a solution - customers should demand a recall.

There position seems to be there is a higher than normal incident of failure on these cars, but it is random and small % that they wish to back this up by extending everybodies warrenty.

Alg
Old 09-21-2002, 08:31 PM
TL
Instructor

I don't think we should be satisfied with the extended warranty. Think about it....will an extended warranty save your life if your tranny acts up on the highway? Does it ultimately address the safety hazard? Unfortunately, the answer to both is no.

Like someone said above, the figures for the TL/CL are most likely skewed. A safety hazard should be recalled. It's a real pitty that Honda may have to recall our trannys...as it will cost them lots. However, that's the way business goes.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 AM
Instructor

Props to Honda. It takes balls to extend a warranty on a known faulty part. Honda must have localized the problem and determined how many cars it will likely affect. Maybe they have insurance that protects them from manufacturing blunders.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:52 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Pascal Type-S
Props to Honda. It takes balls to extend a warranty on a known faulty part. Honda must have localized the problem and determined how many cars it will likely affect. Maybe they have insurance that protects them from manufacturing blunders.
No, it takes balls to recall the problem. If they have localized the problem and determined how many cars it affected, then they can do a recall and save these people from a possible disaster! Extending a warranty costs them a ****LOAD less money than a recall. This is the cheap way out and they are not helping anybody (yes, they may be saving people some money.) This is not a fix.......just a crappy band-aid. If they had insurance for manufacturing blunders, then it would pay for an f'ing recall......This sucks ass. I already paid for a 100k mile warranty, so this does me no good whatsoever!! If my tranny dies on the highway and I get in an accident that injures me or anyone else, you can bet your ass I will have this whole forum on paper and a nice lawsuit against honda.......They've basically admitted there is a problem by this warranty extension. They basically are saying.....Let your tranny fail, live through the accident, and we will replace your tranny!!!! I personally don't think this warranty extension is anything but a con job to make customers think honda is a good company. What about all those people who own a TL, etc., and have no idea there is a possible tranny problem? Now, they will get this letter and wonder why their tranny is getting a warranty extenstion.....that would tell me that there is a definite know problem!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Racer

Honda has done the right thing for both the customer and for its reputation as well. It will compensate the customers with the tranny problems and give those of us who own them a little peace of mind... but this is not over just yet. It will surely end up a full-blown recall...
Old 09-22-2002, 09:23 PM
DHB
Instructor

Originally posted by ScotTLTypeS
Without having to wait to see if I get a letter or not, I sure would like to know if our March 03 TLS is among the possible tranny failure candidates. Any news on the VIN or tranny serial numbers that may be affected?
Old 09-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by NY03TLS

How did you find the exact manufacture date of your vehicle. ? Is it encoded in the VIN # ?
No the manufacture date is written down somewhere on the car... it was either under the hood or on the driver's side door ... I forget which one.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Man... there is no pleasing you guys huh?? Why would Acura recall a total of 1.2 million cars when only 16k have had problems. Regardless of if Acura is padding the numbers or not.... however you look at it it's less then 2% failure... which is below the industry standard for reported problems.

I think this is a good move by Honda/Acura. Of course it's a CYA move... but a good move regardless. Something like this will probably cost Acura in the neighborhood of $750k or so... just to notify the owners. A recall would be waaay to expensive and it's not justified right now. As for the trannies failing on the highway... it is dangerous.. I'll agree with that.... but it's also been an isolated occurance. From what I've been reading it's been happening at lower speeds... some while just accelerating from a stop. If it was like Ford/Firestone.... then it would be a different story.....
Old 09-23-2002, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Too little too late...

And Juniorbean, I was traveling 75-80 mph on the highway when my tranny failed both times...I just hope no one gets killed from this. It's obvious Honda is willing to take the risk...I suppose they figured the risk of a resulting wrongful death lawsuit costs less then a recall...

Quick Reply: Honda/Acura to offer 100k Warranty for CL/TL trannys