Hit & Run Accident...what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hit & Run Accident...what to do???

I was on my way home from work and was stopped at an intersection when the light turned green we were on our way till the car in front of me slammed on there brakes. Of course I couldnt stop in time and rear ended her. They stopped in the middle of the intersection when I flagged her to make a left and go into a parking lot. As I went ahead of her and pulled in I jumped out to check out my front end and its pretty beat up. When I looked around the car in front of me is no where to be found.

My question is what should I do? I could file a report but than it will come up as a point for me and I really cant afford anymore points! But Im also affraid she might have reported me as a hit and run even though other cars and Im sure they seen me pull into the parking lot of Safeway. Should I call it into the insurance company? Should I file a report or should I just pay for it and keep it from insurance and DMV?

Damages seem to be front bumper, bent hood, maybe the radiator support beam may need replacing too I dont know. It was a hard hit and dont know what else could be involved?

What should I do????
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I think she was the one who did the running... which is strange.
Is there anything leaking? Does the car still run ok? If so I think you should bring it to a shop to get a quote on the repairs without calling insurance company first. I am not too familiar with this kind of stuff so let the others on the boards help ya out more on this!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:30 AM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think technically you're at fault for that accident, cuz u rear-ended her. Not too sure why the other driver fled...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:52 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I concur, this accident is your fault because you are supposed to keep a save distance between your car and the car in front of you. The driver in front of your probably had no license or no insurance, that's why he'she took off. If you want to report this to your insurance company, you can always lie about how the accident happen....although personally, I wouldn't do it as it constitutes fraud but hey, I am not you
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the car in front of you enter your lane or was it always there?

If it was always there you will be at fault.

How much damage?

I would wait a month and if you don't hear anything then decide how you want to proceed with fixing your car. If you think there's a chance they got your licence plate I would wait longer.

Hypothetically, does your car look like it might have been hit in a parking lot?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Registered Abuser

You could file a report, tell the cops she cut you off or driving wrecklessly.....Remember she left the scene of the accident, so it's your word against hers.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TLofNYC
You could file a report, tell the cops she cut you off or driving wrecklessly.....Remember she left the scene of the accident, so it's your word against hers.

I think it is better for you to report it, plus you dont get any points. At least here in NYC, everyone is at fault no matter what it is just a matter of how much. She probably didnt have insurance or something or didnt have a license. I think just to protect yourself from what else she may do after she consulated more people.

Your word against hers and she left so that is a for her
Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You were at fault here, so i say you got away lucky
Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
I think she was the one who did the running... which is strange.
Is there anything leaking? Does the car still run ok? If so I think you should bring it to a shop to get a quote on the repairs without calling insurance company first. I am not too familiar with this kind of stuff so let the others on the boards help ya out more on this!

Yeah thats what I think is weird is that she ran and I hit her. Go figure. Car is fine I drove it home with no leaks. Just have a dinged up bumper and hood.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
I think technically you're at fault for that accident, cuz u rear-ended her. Not too sure why the other driver fled...

I know I was at fault but they just took off. Im like wtf? I bet you they didnt have insurance and thats one of the main reason they bounced.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hemants
Did the car in front of you enter your lane or was it always there?

If it was always there you will be at fault.

How much damage?

I would wait a month and if you don't hear anything then decide how you want to proceed with fixing your car. If you think there's a chance they got your licence plate I would wait longer.

Hypothetically, does your car look like it might have been hit in a parking lot?

Im at fault no matter what. I hit them but with them taking off on the scene kind of makes me wonder. Anyway damages from what I think looks like hood, grill, bumper and maybe radiator support beam. Im going to swing by a body shop today and see what they quote me. And yes I could get away with saying that as well.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
I concur, this accident is your fault because you are supposed to keep a save distance between your car and the car in front of you. The driver in front of your probably had no license or no insurance, that's why he'she took off. If you want to report this to your insurance company, you can always lie about how the accident happen....although personally, I wouldn't do it as it constitutes fraud but hey, I am not you
Im not saying it wasnt my fault. I know it was but Im trying to figure out what I should do since they left. Im just trying to keep from getting another point. Besides at least I stayed knowing it was my fault.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLofNYC

Yeah thats what Ive been told before as well but I dont know.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bxscig

I think it is better for you to report it, plus you dont get any points. At least here in NYC, everyone is at fault no matter what it is just a matter of how much. She probably didnt have insurance or something or didnt have a license. I think just to protect yourself from what else she may do after she consulated more people.

Your word against hers and she left so that is a for her

Im pushing towards doing that. I called it in last night when I got home but they said I had to be in the city borders for a cop to come out. So I was thinking of just doing that and reporting it to the insurance company as a hit and run. Im pushing into doing it that route but I know there going to get me at fault.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ArN 2000 TL
You were at fault here, so i say you got away lucky

Yeah I know but at least if they stayed I would have the comfort of knowing things have been taken care of and knowing it was my fault I would have been like whatever. But in this case I dont know what the hell to do without another car involved. I did have a witness in the car though.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

if you report it your gonna be at fault. even tho she slammed the brakes your "supposed" to keep enuf room between cars so you can stop in time. the other person i guess didnt have insurance or was illegal or something
Old 05-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
if you report it your gonna be at fault. even tho she slammed the brakes your "supposed" to keep enuf room between cars so you can stop in time. the other person i guess didnt have insurance or was illegal or something

Yeah I know either way Im f-cked. So Im debating if I should just fix it on my own and eat the cost on it. Or if I should protect myself and file a report today in the city I was in and than make an insurance claim.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

say she reveresed into u at a parking lot and took off , that way u reported the accident and you also arent at fault. either way your insurance co is gonna rape u if they have to pay. report it but dont admit any kind of fault, u can always say u came out of a store and it was messed up or at a bar, if your deductable is 500 or over get the estimate first then go from there to see if its even worth filing
Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Doesn't really belong in 2nd gen TL forum.
Post this in car talk.
Thread closed.