HID Theft Deterrent - Data Dots - Nissan did this, did Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
vtec, yo. lol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Theft Deterrent - Data Dots - Nissan did this, did Acura?

I think it's a good idea, I mean they will still steal it and sell it...but the people who buy it will be screwed Better than nothing at all

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=261569

The metal brackets actually go under the light housing and are anchored to the frame. Looking at the tech installing it, it is no longer as easy as popping the housings out with a crowbar. It can still be done, but the housings would be destroyed. I know you guys will say this doesn't matter since they just go after the bulbs and ballasts, but still, the longer the thief has to take, the more chance he'll get caught. The only problem is more damage to hood and fenders if a thief really wants the lights.

Here is the letter Nissan will be sending out to 02-03 Maxima owners.

Dear Maxima Owner,

Nissan and the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) have some important information about protecting your Maxima and helping to fight crime. Please read this letter carefully.

Why you have recieved this letter

Our records show that you own a 2002 or 2003 Maxima. Nissan is working with NICB and various law enforcement agencies in certain areas in the Northeast United States to help reduce incidents of thefts of headlights from these vehicles. The headlights use an advanced technology Xenon lighting system that has been targeted by criminals in some major metropolitan areas in New York and New Jersey. Vehicles with Xenon lighting made by other companies have also been affected.

Nissan has worked with law enforcement to develop a program to help reduce the chance of headlight theft on the Maxima and to help catch those who participate in these crimes.

Nissan's theft deterrent and police support program:

Nissan has developed a three-point program to assist law enforcement and to reduce the chance that your Maxima will be the target of headlight theft.

First, new securing devices for the headlights have been designed to help
discourage theft. Your Nissan dealer wil place these on your vehicle
at no charge.
Second, at the same time the securing devices are installed, a new type of
identification technology called "DataDots" will be applied to the headlights.
these will have a unique identifying number that links your VIN. Not only
should this help track thefts, but also help in the prosecution of those who
are caught with your property. In addition, "DataDots" stickers will be
applied to the headlights and front door windows so thieves will know they
risk being caught and be less likely to target your car.
Finally, Nissan is implementing this in areas around New York and New Jersey
to reduce the likelihood that these crimes will move to other areas where
they are not now occuring. Not only are customers in these states being
contacted, but also Maxima owners in CT, MA and eastern PA will recieve
this letter.

No program will eliminate all auto-related crime, but Nissan, NICB and local law enforcement agencies believe these steps should help reduce theft and catch those who are responsible.

What you can do to help.

Schedule an appointment with your Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience to have the securing devices and "DataDots" placed on your Maxima. There will be no charge to you for this service. It should take about 1 1/2 hours, although your dealer may require your vehicle for a longer time based on work schedule.

And consider this question from police: If your neighbor participates in this program but you don't, whose Maxima will more likely be at risk? Help us help you and your community to make this program a success.

Other tips on protecting your vehicle from theft:

The enclosed brochure from the NICB provides additional useful information about vehicle theft and how to prevent it.

If you have questions:

If you have questions about this program, you may contact Nissan Consumer Affairs Office.

Thank you for doing your part.
Credit: Nismo3point5 on maxima.org
Old 11-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Pro

Acura should have done that 2 years ago... slackers
Old 11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Instructor

We need to all start calling customer service and demanding the same.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:25 PM
vtec, yo. lol

just received the letter today and made the appointment with my dealer for next thurs

i hope acura does something for you guys
Old 11-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Instructor

If the Ballast is the main purpose for taking out the lights. Then Stealing the Lights in the 03 TL's is useless. Why you ask The ballast is not located on the actual housing but on the Firewall behind the actual engine for those 03 owners you can check for yourself and you'll see the Ballast is located behind the engine almost in the middle of the passenger and driver seat and the other is near to it. So the only thing Theives get if they steal your lights.... is a Housing and a Bulb. a Useless bulb.. unless they pop the hood and take the Ballast too
Old 11-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Rock Star

Acura Needs 2 get on the ball cuase im sick of havin 2 worry every fukin time i part my TLS.........................
Old 11-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have an 03 TLs and I didn't realize the ballasts were located away from the lights! Sweeet! Since you can't tell really the difference between an 02 and an 03, these c*cksucka's will still probably try to punk our lights and tear up our stuff anyway.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:48 AM
Instructor

CJITTY you're probably right...I'll have to get a vanity plate that says "ITS A 03"
Old 11-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Racer

From what I have heard, it is much easier to steal lights from the Maxima then from Tl's. That is why Nissan is issuing those "theft recalls"

You can check Yahoo!'s message board for both autos, there are lots of folks complaining their headlights got taxed: none for the TL message board.

I think just by design, manner in which they are engineered in being attached to the vehicle, Maxima's are just too feasible, easier than the TL.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Just wondering who was your source of this info...I checked my TL and saw 2 black boxes. How do you know that's the ballasts.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by lhl10
Just wondering who was your source of this info...I checked my TL and saw 2 black boxes. How do you know that's the ballasts.

The Dealer pointed this out to me. I went in for an alignment and aske him a couple questions about the lights being stolen. and he told me I shouldn't worry I have the 03. so I asked why is that and then he showed me.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Instructor

i have a '02..but cjitty your right....you really cant tell the difference between the 02 and 03 except for the onstar antenna.....damn thiefs!!! rememeber when parking in a shopping mall lot always park ass 1st...makes it harder for thiefs!!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Instructor

i hope acura will do the same... i had my lights stolen... one of the posts are mine regarding stolen HID's and believe the feeling of that is just heart breaking!!! I say everyone on this forum starts calling customer service to request acura to do something about this!!! LET'S BE PROACTIVE!