HID Bulbs on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
HID Bulbs on Ebay

Hi All :

I have a headlight out and I've been researching the fix and cost. Of course thinking simply changing out a ~$10 bulb solves it, but oh no, Acura had to go all fancy with HID.

I've been looking at prices of bulbs and there seems to be two mainstream manufacturers, Sylvania and Philips. Sylvania seems to be around $80 and Philips around $55. Philips I can buy a 2-pack which I can't seem the find for Sylvania.

I looked on Ebay and there are some traders selling Philips D2R bulbs for ~$35 and in the item description they go into great detail about how $90% of the HID bulbs on Ebay are fakes which causes them to have to sell theirs for a lower price to compete. They state very clearly that these are genuine Philips bulbs and not knock offs. Oh course the more they confirm they're legit, the more suspect they seem.

Anyone had any dealings with Ebay HID's or Philips HID's ?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
6MT NBP UA7

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Go with Hidbulbzrus or MotiveMods.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought my OEM Philips/Osram bulbs on eBay. They're real. I don't remember the seller, but I got a pair for $80.

Look at their feedback.

Or if you want to save some money you can get bulbs from HIDextra.com. They have pretty good quality bulbs for abut $35/ pair.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to our new sponsoring vendor!
whats your ziner price on a set of D2 bulbs?

many of us use www.hidextra.com unreal low price-
bright light from the 5000k I run now, used to have kaixen 6k
ships from hayward ca same day if you order early- next day arrives in us mail
Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
welcome to our new sponsoring vendor!
whats your ziner price on a set of D2 bulbs?

many of us use www.hidextra.com unreal low price-
bright light from the 5000k I run now, used to have kaixen 6k
ships from hayward ca same day if you order early- next day arrives in us mail
Just to forewarn, HIDExtra does not have D2R bulbs anymore. They have D2R listed on their site still but I recently learned that they treat all their D2 bulbs as universal for D2C, D2R, and D2S. That's a no-no on their part.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Go original like Soria. I think I took mine home off ebay for like 60 for two.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by smartypants
Hi All :

I have a headlight out and I've been researching the fix and cost. Of course thinking simply changing out a ~$10 bulb solves it, but oh no, Acura had to go all fancy with HID.

I've been looking at prices of bulbs and there seems to be two mainstream manufacturers, Sylvania and Philips. Sylvania seems to be around $80 and Philips around $55. Philips I can buy a 2-pack which I can't seem the find for Sylvania.

I looked on Ebay and there are some traders selling Philips D2R bulbs for ~$35 and in the item description they go into great detail about how $90% of the HID bulbs on Ebay are fakes which causes them to have to sell theirs for a lower price to compete. They state very clearly that these are genuine Philips bulbs and not knock offs. Oh course the more they confirm they're legit, the more suspect they seem.

Anyone had any dealings with Ebay HID's or Philips HID's ?
I'm going to try hidbulbzrus. The last set of philips bulbs I bought were fakes. I only know this now, after looking at the comparison on their site. The philips bulbs from my normal supplier are real, but expensive. They look like the real ones on hidbulbzrus. The ebay ones look like their example of a fake. I'm convinced. Time will tell, but it may take a long time. The known good philips or osram bulbs I've used are still in use after 5 -6 years. I'll probably use the fakes on my daughter's or wife's car just to see how they do.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
I'm going to try hidbulbzrus. The last set of philips bulbs I bought were fakes. I only know this now, after looking at the comparison on their site. The philips bulbs from my normal supplier are real, but expensive. They look like the real ones on hidbulbzrus. The ebay ones look like their example of a fake. I'm convinced. Time will tell, but it may take a long time. The known good philips or osram bulbs I've used are still in use after 5 -6 years. I'll probably use the fakes on my daughter's or wife's car just to see how they do.
How can you tell that they are fake? What is wrong with the fakes? Do they not work at all, shorter life span?

When you guys are talking about replacing bulbs are you replacing the part behind the bulb that ups the current?

Anyone know of a good place to get a replacement light, I guess you call it a cover or lens? My bulbs are ok, but my lights are so oxidized I can barely see through them. I tried one of those cleaners and it worked a little, but it didn't seem to last.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Racer

People don't finish their posts !!!

I've gone through all the posts regarding HID's starting and then dying. In fact this seems to be the most common problem. However none of the threads I've read ever clearly state what they did to resolve the problem.

So when others have the same issue, we have no idea what worked for them.

....very frustrating.......
Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Originally Posted by smartypants
I've gone through all the posts regarding HID's starting and then dying. In fact this seems to be the most common problem. However none of the threads I've read ever clearly state what they did to resolve the problem.

So when others have the same issue, we have no idea what worked for them.

....very frustrating.......
There can be a few different resolutions depending on each person's case. If one light is out, the single cause of the issue can be narrowed down by swapping each part (i.e. bulb, ballast, ignitor) from one headlight to the other and figuring it out like that. So you won't know for sure by reading other people's answers until you test it out yourself. In my case it was a bad ballast, years ago. I replaced everything with an aftermarket kit. And just recently, it was a bad bulb. If it is just a bulb, get 2 new ones as they should be replaced in pairs.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
to the OP:
it's hard to find actual D2R replacement bulbs on ebay that are genuinely D2R. many ebay sellers actually list that they offer D2R even though they really are sending you D2C bulbs. it took me forever looking but in the end i couldn't find genuine D2R for cheap so i just settled for C. i ended up paying $30 for a pair of 8000k replacements and they have been working fine for months now. the pic below shows the D2C on left and D2R on right. only significant diff is the glare shield on the D2R.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Srb
There can be a few different resolutions depending on each person's case. If one light is out, the single cause of the issue can be narrowed down by swapping each part (i.e. bulb, ballast, ignitor) from one headlight to the other and figuring it out like that. So you won't know for sure by reading other people's answers until you test it out yourself. In my case it was a bad ballast, years ago. I replaced everything with an aftermarket kit. And just recently, it was a bad bulb. If it is just a bulb, get 2 new ones as they should be replaced in pairs.
I'm fully informed (thanks to the many folks who offered help on other posts) on how to swap out the bad side to the good side, even though getting at all the components seems unnecessarily difficult to get at. Who knows why, but you have to drop the bumper cover to get at the ballast. It would be nice to know that a similar symptom was resolved by eg. swapping the bulb.

One last line in their thread is all it would have taken.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a pair of 6000K D2R bulbs on eBay for around 5 bucks from Hong Kong. They've been on for about a month or so and still running well.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Srb
Just to forewarn, HIDExtra does not have D2R bulbs anymore. They have D2R listed on their site still but I recently learned that they treat all their D2 bulbs as universal for D2C, D2R, and D2S. That's a no-no on their part.

Good to know, I don't need D2R anymore but still.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Racer

Symptoms were one low beam was turning off after about half a minute.

Finally got around to swapping out the bulbs and found the problem was........the bulb. The problem moved to other side once I exchanged sides. Also, "the snorkel" does come out by simply pulling up. However, mine was really stuck really fast so I had to use a claw hammer leveraged against the battery. Also saw the bad bulb had a orangy colored filament, different from the good one.

I'm going to buy two D2R bulbs (recommended by everyone) from Amazon as I don't trust Ebay and the prices are comparable.

Now I just have to get them home from Florida.....
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I came across a pair of bulbs for $4 CAN with free shipping on ebay. Couldn't believe it and they made it to my door! Exect same bulbs as all these HID suppliers locally sell. They have worked flawlessly for 5 months now.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Srb
I just ordered D2R bulbs off their site and got bulbs labeled D2ANPAU111. I'm not sure what these are or if they will even fit. WTF? Anyone know if I can use these?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Srb
00 ssm

Originally Posted by creativecasey
I just ordered D2R bulbs off their site and got bulbs labeled D2ANPAU111. I'm not sure what these are or if they will even fit. WTF? Anyone know if I can use these?
That's just a part number I think. They should be D2 bulbs. They're pretty much D2S bulbs. If you have an 02-03 tl then they should work fine. If you have a 99-01 then you will have a good amount of glare if you use those bulbs. Send them back if that is the case. They really need to remove the D2R listing from that website because they don't carry those bulbs. They believe that they are universal for any D2 bulb, but in actuality they are not universal for cars designed to have D2R bulbs. I don't recommend HIDExtra anymore because from my viewpoint their quality has dropped from a few years ago. Looking at the bulbs from before and now I can see the difference. Hopefully the ballasts aren't worse either. Sucks because I thought they were a good source to have but not so much anymore.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UneekDevo
I came across a pair of bulbs for $4 CAN with free shipping on ebay. Couldn't believe it and they made it to my door! Exect same bulbs as all these HID suppliers locally sell. They have worked flawlessly for 5 months now.
See the other posts that indicate most HID bulbs on Ebay are fake. However, for $4 who cares if they fail in a year or so.

Do they look exactly same and are they as bright as OEM ?