Here is your WATERSPOT solution!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 10:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Here is your WATERSPOT solution!!!!

I saw the discussion on the H2O spots on the car after you wash it. I had the same problem with my work. I own a small company, and we detail business jets. It would take 30 miuntes to wash it, and 2 hours to dry it off so there would be no spots!! I had a friend tell me about de-ionized water. So I went out and bought a set of DI tanks, and now, I wash the planes, and the walk away without even thinking out drying it off. It dries off spot free!!!! I tested the tanks on my partners black Jeep, and it did the job. You might end up with 2 or 3 spots total, but my goodness, that is nothing. Also, another option would be to get some good water, like a Britta water filter, and put the filtered water in a 2 1/2 gallon garden sprayer. Then, when you finish with the wash, spary it all over the car. That really works well too! It's eaiser than it sounds. The real key to no spots is just keeping the car wet. After you finish washing one side, keep spraying it so it does not dry. You can get those tanks I was talking about from a water supply store, I get mine from Culligan. When the tanks go bad(after about 900 gallons depending on the original water), I call the Culligan Man, and the next day I have a new set of tanks delivered. There are 2 tanks in the system, and the cost is $125.00 total for both tanks. Request the fiber glass tanks instead of steel tanks. They are 1000% lighter than the steel ones. Finally, the tanks are routed by a standared hose from the outside fawcet to the tanks, and from the tanks to a standard hose used to wash. Any questions email me milesreed2@aol.com Good luck!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2001, 04:59 AM
Banned

No offense...but you could just go with distilled water...water spots are created by mineral deposits left from water drying. You can easily rig up a distiller (all it does is evaporate, collect the evaporated water, and then you can go use a powerwasher). Or if you like...just get 4 jugs of distilled water at your local store...use 1/2 in a bucket with soap...use a sponge and soap up your car (the Zaino car wash soap is what I use). Then just use 3 1/2 buckets to wash the car off. Or take it to a car wash...soap it up, wash it off...then just pour distilled water over the car...that way you'll only need maybe two jugs of it. Same effect...total cost? $0.75 per jug.

Austin519
Old 11-12-2001, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Great idea, except those bottles of water weigh a ton, and my back is already sore from bending over and detailing the car already... oww!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Austin519
No offense...but you could just go with distilled water...water spots are created by mineral deposits left from water drying. You can easily rig up a distiller (all it does is evaporate, collect the evaporated water, and then you can go use a powerwasher). Or if you like...just get 4 jugs of distilled water at your local store...use 1/2 in a bucket with soap...use a sponge and soap up your car (the Zaino car wash soap is what I use). Then just use 3 1/2 buckets to wash the car off. Or take it to a car wash...soap it up, wash it off...then just pour distilled water over the car...that way you'll only need maybe two jugs of it. Same effect...total cost? $0.75 per jug.

Austin519
Looks like you hit it right on the nose; for those of you who wash your cars at home--did you consider the possibility that your water (I assume tap/spigot water) may be a bit too hard, or perhaps picking up mineral crud coming out of your garden hose? Hard water will definitely leave water spots if you let it evaporate.

Like Austin519 said, you can use distilled or purified water, or if you're really the paranoid but lazy type, you can install an inline water softener on your outdoor spigot. Of course, if you go this route just make sure you don't over-soften the water--otherwise, you'll get way too much suds, plus the water itself will feel a bit slimy to the touch.

Tony
Old 11-12-2001, 06:21 PM
Banned

Tdoh:
Good idea..you can grab a $40 Pur filter just for that.

daverman:
"Great idea, except those bottles of water weigh a ton, and my back is already sore from bending over and detailing the car already... oww!"
Haha then why is your old back washing cars by hand in the first place Lazy bum!

Austin519
Old 11-12-2001, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Austin519
Haha then why is your old back washing cars by hand in the first place Lazy bum!
Don't make me come over there and... ow... let me sit down a minute.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

got evian?

Hey, maybe EVIAN would work wonders on the car. A luxury car deserves the best water right?

Or Perrier? The bubbles would do it good in scrubbing all those nooks and crannies.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Burning Brakes

If you take your car to the car wash you should find one with a spottless rinse. I think its filtered water of some sort. I used one today and had virtually no water spots. I also live in a city with mad hard water. It sucks!