help w/ transmission, dealing w/ dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help w/ transmission, dealing w/ dealer

Ok, reading through some threads, I've come to this conclusion. The recall (which I'm going to take the car in for, which is why I'm asking now) is the dealership adding an oil jet kit or something to 2nd gear, but the main problem w/ the trannys is that the THIRD gear clutch pack craps out.

What is an oil jet kit, and what's a clutch pack??

Are they just trying to get a way out of the tranny issue, or is this really gonna help any?

I just wanna see if I can complain enough to just have them properly fix my shit and be done with it. Wether or not they do, at least I wanna let 'em know that I know what's going on (which i really don't, which is why i'm asking).
Old 11-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Holdin it down for MS

Originally Posted by bluetls02
I just wanna see if I can complain enough to just have them properly fix my shit and be done with it.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

The only way for them to completely fix our problems is to redesign the entire transmission with stronger parts. Cheap fuckers.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetls02
Ok, reading through some threads, I've come to this conclusion. The recall (which I'm going to take the car in for, which is why I'm asking now) is the dealership adding an oil jet kit or something to 2nd gear, but the main problem w/ the trannys is that the THIRD gear clutch pack craps out.

What is an oil jet kit, and what's a clutch pack??
No offense, but if you've read through some threads, you should know what an oil jet kit is and how it helps the second gear problem. I'll let others describe a clutch pack. I think of them as 'gears' in a manual tranny. You need a clutch pack for each gear in an automatic. The third gear clutch pack gets too hot, the parts fail, get circulated through the rest of the transmission and the tranny fails.

As has been stated, in a bazillion threads, which you read, right?

1. The dealer can not 'fix' your tranny it's a design problem. All they can do is install the oil jet kit and, if it happens, replace your tranny.
2. Whining to the dealer, or here, wont help. Would you like someone whining at you about a problem you can not fix or do anything about?
3. Honda isn't going to redesign the tranny. Someone at Honda made a bad design decision. Simple as that. Calling Honda all kinds of names won't help.
4. Not every tranny fails. Some have had 4 trannys others none.
5. There are no aftermarket trannys
6. You can't rebuild the tranny to be any stronger
7. '99s are less prone to tranny failures since they're a 4 speed, but they are still covered by the 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He's right... the dealer cannot fix a bad design. When I had my CL S, I would go back to the dealer and be polite since they were only doing their job. Tranny 1 , 2 etc oil jet.

What I decided to do was not buy exclusively from honda any longer because of the poor decisions that were made in the design stage. And the cheapness of the TL regardless of the look, etc. They made a sow's ear look like a silk purse. great for them.

They extended the warranty to avoid a lawsuit. It made perfect business sense for them. They were not being my good buddy. I usually keep my cars 150,000 miles. I decided to trade my CL at 80,000 because I did not want the 100k tune up and dealing with a tranny issue on my own after being on my 3rd. After learning about the problem, I was always driving around knowing that it was the weak link on the car and therefore was destined to fail early. In the end, the car's residual value was less for that reason. Burnt once shame on you... burnt twice shame on me.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Like the others said, the dealer cant fix the issue. they can replace a bad tranny with a rebuilt one, but they cant fix it. That is something honda has to do by redesigning parts.

The oil jet baisicly sprays tranny fluid on the 2nd gear shaft to help lub and cool it. If the 2nd gear shaft dies (which is the less than 2% that honda quoted in the results they and the NTHSA found) the shaft breaks and the tranny completly locks up rendering the car uncontrolable due to the wheels being locked up.

The 3rd gear clutch packs are just that. They are a series of metal plates and discs (just like a manual tranny clutch and flywheel but on a MUCH smaller scale) there are like 5 of each contained in a (drum #4 )(illistrated by the 3's and 6's below)

Old 11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Thanks for the detailed picture on what a clutch pack is. Honda needs to rethink their design and testing process before they release products into the market. They've lost a lot of loyal Honda/Acura customers due to these trannys.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
Thanks for the detailed picture on what a clutch pack is. Honda needs to rethink their design and testing process before they release products into the market. They've lost a lot of loyal Honda/Acura customers due to these trannys.
Dont know how it made it out since honda doesnt do any thing unless its going to make it past 200+k they havent lost nearly as many people as the forum makes it out to be. By extending the warranty they have infact kept alot of customers. Me included (if they can come out with a V8 or RWD)
Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikePA
No offense, but if you've read through some threads, you should know what an oil jet kit is and how it helps the second gear problem. I'll let others describe a clutch pack. I think of them as 'gears' in a manual tranny. You need a clutch pack for each gear in an automatic. The third gear clutch pack gets too hot, the parts fail, get circulated through the rest of the transmission and the tranny fails.

As has been stated, in a bazillion threads, which you read, right?

1. The dealer can not 'fix' your tranny it's a design problem. All they can do is install the oil jet kit and, if it happens, replace your tranny.
2. Whining to the dealer, or here, wont help. Would you like someone whining at you about a problem you can not fix or do anything about?
3. Honda isn't going to redesign the tranny. Someone at Honda made a bad design decision. Simple as that. Calling Honda all kinds of names won't help.
4. Not every tranny fails. Some have had 4 trannys others none.
5. There are no aftermarket trannys
6. You can't rebuild the tranny to be any stronger
7. '99s are less prone to tranny failures since they're a 4 speed, but they are still covered by the 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty.
Way to be informative and an asshole at the same time, good combo, thanks!!!