Help Me Understand...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Understand...

So I'm most likely buying a TL Type-S from a independent non Acura dealer, the car is going to have less than 50,000 miles on it so to my understanding the car is still under Acura warranty?

What am I excluded from if I don't buy the car from a Acura dealer, some sort of certified thing? Would the car still be under that 7year (I've heard 10 years also) 100,000 mile power train warranty? And if I am excluded from some exclusive Acura dealership only thing is there a way to get the car certified if that sort of thing exists?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Before signing on the dotted line, it is ALWAYS a good idea to take the car to a mechanic OF YOUR CHOICE to have it inspected for any potential problems or damage. This can save you A LOT of heartache in the near and distant future. Used cars are a gamble and you don't always get what you pay for ---- look into the car's history/maintenance and have it looked at.

My

Edit: Just noticed your sig.... You've got an 850? I drove a '92 960 for seven years.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced

I did a carfax on the car and I guess it came back clean, I didn't see anything bad, even though I hear carfax's aren't really too dependable.

Just from what the carfax told me, I got absolutely NOTHING important, it basically confirmed the miles on the car, told me that the car was bought for $16,500 at a wholesale in Central Florida with around 36,000miles on it...ok, so? But yeah, I guess if I really wanted the car I could probably take it to a dealership and have them check it out and get it certified before I actually buy it, or is that a no? I'm new/young to this whole car buying process so I do need help (Obviously)

But yeah the Volvo was great, a nice sleeper but too maintenance savy...Dropped 3 trannies, electrical problems like none other, real rattley, squeaks everywhere, too delicate for the street's of Atlanta. The times the car has been in perfect running shape though, it's an absolute marvel to drive, but I think it's time to part with it, it's been to 3 different shops and no one can figure out what's wrong with it. The turbo runs wayyyy hot, the car gets 5mpg, oil smells like gas, smoke comes from the dipstick and I think it's just time for it to go even though I would love to keep it.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned

Carfax is worthless trust me there are entirely to many shady individuals and mechanics who don't report accidents, major problems, etc get it checked out by a mechanic 25-50 dollars now could save you thousands in the long run.

I forgot to mention that about a year ago I purchased a 96 SC300 five seed with 38k miles on it. Thats right 38k not 138k. I'm in Missouri and the car was in New Jersey, I saw a couple of the pics and the car seemed to be absolutely flawless. I even went so far as to run a Carfax and arrange to have it picked up by a Lexus dealer in that area. The lexus dealer looked over the car and assured me that everything was 100% perfect except for the tires and 1 or 2 fluids. With that I purchased the car and had it shipped. Upon arrival it was dark and I didn't notice what would be a several thousand dollar problem. The next day in the sun I noticed something funny about the paint. Upon further examination I discoverd my Pearl white SC was about three different shades. It looked like a retarted monkey had painted it. Grant it i'm a perfectionist and many people didn't notice, but it pissed me off. I decided to repaint and sell the car I immediately found a buyer and I was going to end up making about 800 bucks on the car. After fixing the paint and adding a spoiler, I was driving it home for the last time, that's when the clutch went out. Needless to say that pissed me off as I had to drop about 800 bucks on the car. In the end I only lost a couple hundred bucks but the whole ordeal was ridiculous.

Bottom line take it to YOUR mechanic and have it checked out!!! Don't buy site unseen unless it is new.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the advice, will do

My questions from the 1st post still stand
Old 12-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noahkk17
My questions from the 1st post still stand
Unless you're specifically buying a certified pre-owned acura from an acura dealer, you're not missing much...except maybe (I mean maybe) the expertise of the acura-trained mechanics. Also, if you're buying a car with less than 50K miles, you'll be eligible for the AcuraCare 7-yr/100K extended warranty, assuming you want to shell out the dough for it. I bought an '02 from a BMW dealer a year ago and bought the extended warranty from an Acura dealer online for $1200, no questions asked and no problems.

Good luck and welcome to Acura family, you'll really enjoy the Type S...lots of car for the money.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Drive fast & swerve

one more thought...I was told if the car has a salvage title, you can't purchase the AcuraCare extended warranty.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Advanced

If a car is pretty much repaired and fixed from some sort of accident that means it has a salvage title right?

So I really wouldn't have to worry about that I guess?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Drive fast & swerve

Originally Posted by Noahkk17
If a car is pretty much repaired and fixed from some sort of accident that means it has a salvage title right?

So I really wouldn't have to worry about that I guess?
Here's what some insurance companies have posted on their website regarding salvage titles:

"A salvage vehicle is any title bearing vehicle that has been declared a total loss from Fire, Vandalism, Collision, Theft or Flood"

This is not a car that you'd want to own unless you're looking for a sweet car, cheap and don't care about the warranty matters.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IndyTypeS
Here's what some insurance companies have posted on their website regarding salvage titles:

"A salvage vehicle is any title bearing vehicle that has been declared a total loss from Fire, Vandalism, Collision, Theft or Flood"

This is not a car that you'd want to own unless you're looking for a sweet car, cheap and don't care about the warranty matters.
Salvage titled cars can be almost totaled so i would stay away from them if i was you check out ecocar.com for instance and you can witness first hand a salvage titled car.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Racer

Noah if the car has a regular title and is still under acuras 50k warranty then you will be covered and have to go to the nearest Acura dealer when u have a problem so just hope theres one near by, the only thing covered past 50k will be the tranny for 100k nothing else unless u get some kind of extended warranty
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Thankyou AcuraTL203, you made it sooo simple, haha...Rep points!!!

I would hope I don't pull into a Acura dealership in a car with a salvaged title, how smart would that be to have a TL on a tow truck and ask the dealership to certify my car haha.