HELP in maryland. what is the tax on a type s, title, ALL charges. I AM CONFUSED!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 01:38 PM

Exclamation HELP in maryland. what is the tax on a type s, title, ALL charges. I AM CONFUSED!!

i am very confused. is there a luxury tax on the type s in maryland? if so, how much is it. and is that on top of the state tax of 5% how much do the tags and title, license cost? and ANY OTHER CHARGES BESIDES THE PRICE OF THE CAR ITSELF
Old 05-08-2001, 01:39 PM

i am a FIRST time car buyer by the way!!

Originally posted by madskills:
i am very confused. is there a luxury tax on the type s in maryland? if so, how much is it. and is that on top of the state tax of 5% how much do the tags and title, license cost? and ANY OTHER CHARGES BESIDES THE PRICE OF THE CAR ITSELF
Old 05-08-2001, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I don't know about Maryland, but in NY the luxury tax is for any purchases over $40,000 and you only pay the amount over $40k. For example, if you buy a car for $42k, you only pay taxes on the $2k. So basically, there's no luxury tax on a TL in NY. As for other fees, well it varies, but it shouldn't be more then around $300 for tags, title and license fees.

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 05-08-2001, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I live in Maryland and just got my TL-S 2 weeks ago from Frankel Acura in Cockeysville. I was shopping around for about 2 weeks, and I should say that Frankel Gave a good price. There is no luxury tax for the TL as far as I know, I didn't find it in my contract. 5% tax is added, but you have to bargain with the dealer so they include it in your final drove-out price. Tags go for about $140, somewhere around that.

There are no other charges, unless you decide to lease.
Make sure you get lots of freebies, like spoiler, wheel locks, moonroof visor, floor mats.

If you decide to go to Frankel, ask for Joe Noah, he is a very nice guy. He's not like the rest of the salespeople. He's not pushy.
Make sure you do a little bit of bargaining with the General Manager also (Ralph).
Tell me how it went

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean Blue Pearl. Underbody Kit, Spoiler

"260 Horsepower of maximum performance. This is BLUE SUNSHINE!" - Thunderkiss '02
Sweet!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 04:18 PM
Instructor

hi! i live in ellicott city..and im also in the market for the TLS...any other recommendations for the choice of dealer? my dad went down to acura west and they said that the price of the TLS is "100% non negotiatable"...maybe cause he went early in may..how much did you get ur TLS out the door for from frankel acura if u dont mind sharing.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:24 PM
tls260

Wink

thats to bad because i live in catonsville outside of ellicott city, I bought my car there, and I got 5% off retail on a silver tls with nav., without tax I paid 32,000 dollars.as well as a zero down deposit. I bought my car three weeks ago and still have not paid anything. However I got a united buying service discount, thats how I acheived a great deal, good luck searching.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:29 PM
tls260

Wink

thats to bad because i live in catonsville outside of ellicott city, I bought my car there, and I got 5% off retail on a silver tls with nav., without tax I paid 32,000 dollars.as well as a zero down deposit. I bought my car three weeks ago and still have not paid anything. However I got a united buying service discount, thats how I acheived a great deal, good luck searching.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:29 AM
Instructor

is there a certain salesman thats easier to deal with when getting a good deal at acura west?
Old 05-09-2001, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Never go to the salesman, if you have the balls. Go straight to General Manager.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:53 PM
Instructor

I knocked off about $600 off the sticker, plus got the spoiler, moonroof visor, wheel locks. It took about 1-1/2 weeks to get it because they were all out of Aegean Blues.
I'm still waiting for my underbody kit that is on national backorder.
You should always talk to different dealers trying to tell them that you got a better deal at another dealership.
This is my 3rd new car that I bought. I got all my tips on buying from my cousin who is a dealer.

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean Blue Pearl. Underbody Kit, Spoiler

"260 Horsepower of maximum performance. This is BLUE SUNSHINE!" - Thunderkiss '02
Sweet!!!
Old 05-09-2001, 11:27 PM
tls260

I actually went straight to the manager, however the car is in high demand so they might not give a discount. When I bought my car(tls silver w/nav), they had to get it from another state or something, and took a couple of weeks to get. From this dealership they did not have any tls w/nav, in stock ,but they did have plenty of the regular tls w/o nav.They might give you a discount on the regular tls, however the tls w/ nav is hard to get so do not count on a discount. I haven't been back to the dealership since so I don't how many tls's they left. Hope you get a good deal!