HELP- intalling headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 06:20 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP- intalling headers

Hi all, i'm doing my headers right now, i took both head shield out, but im having trouble reaching the header nuts on the back side of the engine. Also, i'm having trouble loosing the nuts that hold the down pipe to the intake...and im not that weak either.

Im sure i have the mechanic skills, im an A/C tecnician, i did my injen 2pc CAI and spark plugs, even though they were easy. Im not too sure about the strengh i heard those bolts are at 180lbs...

Any suggestions anyone has please tell me. Thanks in advance YO!!!

peace.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i found on the back header bolts, i did most of my work from underneath, they give you a pretty good gap to work from. I had my front wheels up on ramps. I know what your saying on the the nuts, mine were tighter than hell. hopefully you have your extentions long enough where you can get some leverage. if you cant get enough torque, use a cheater bar, (piece of pipe or something). if that doesnt work spray it with wd40 or something, & let it sit for a while. If that doesn't work, carfully use a mapps torch & heat the nut in question. the exhaust straight pipe to muffler was the one i had trouble with, man those bolts where tight, took everything i had.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Go pick up a can of PB Blaster and soak the nuts with them for about 20 minutes. Just don't let that stuff sit on your skin for too long or inhale it.

I would strongly recommend taking out the STB, though. It gave me so much more room to maneuver in when I was doing the rear header.

By the way, you said something about nuts that hold the down pipe to the intake??
Old 06-10-2004, 12:57 AM
@ slide or die @

hehe i was in a rush, i ment exhaust...sry...

*Edit: apologizing in advance for my horrible grammar...im 17, venezuelan and 4.5yr in US. 1240SAT though. 760m/480e

Ok its now 1:55am and its done. I started working at 6:30 with 4 friends and 2 of their girlfriends, we worked at a 20%pace (fun) untill 10:30 when they left because mamas called them and so i went on with my little brother...

I didnt get to read your suggestions untill now. I didnt raise my 2 front wheels on stands and worked from under a lot, i had my brother on the top...Oh, it was hell doing the headers in my garage at nightime, what a pain to pass the light around. To make a long story short, I HAD HUGE FITMENT PROBLEMS!!! first i thought i got the wront headers but then i realized that the downpipe alignement with the headers was like 1/2' off!! i had to use INSANE brute force AND USED the jack to raise the car to help me out too!!! anyways, i got the screws in, tightn them as hard as i could but you can still see how its a little off on the front headers.

Oh, as i was loosing the nuts from the DP to the CAT, i F'd one nut so i had to take the CAT off too and now i dont have a CAT, i'm taking it tomorow to the shop i work at and getting that sucker out...

After, i turned the car on just to see what the CATless headers sound was like...when the engine ignited, it made HUGE and LOUD tractor-like VVVVVVRRUUUUUMM! and then it sounded like a diesel pickup truck. And ugly sound but ill get the CAT back on tomorow...

As pure adrenaline said, taking off the strut bar mighta been a nice idea since i but myself 100000000000000x times with the bottom of it + it made hard to get to the bolts/nuts...

Haha i shorted out this WAY too much, if you have questions or comments let us know since i think this forum its loosing its "HOW AWESOME IS MY CAR" feeling and changing into the whole "THIS CAR SUCKS" theme.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Dragging knees in

Your grammar is fine. Nice test scores, by the way. The math-to-English score ratio is typical in foreign students.

Did you get OBX headers? Because I just did mine a couple of weeks ago, and I also had some fitment issues. But I used a hydraulic jack to lift the down pipe, pulled it forward as hard as we could, and dropped in the bolts.

When you said it was 1/2' off, did you mean 6 inches or half-inch? If they were off by 6 inches, and you have OBX headers, then please tell me that you put the header with the label on the rear. The header withOUT the label goes on the front, unlike all other companies. Stupid ass OBX. I hope it isn't the case, because if you did what I think you did, then you are in danger of cracking the welds, not to mention twisting the headers when the engine is hot.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:01 PM
@ slide or die @

YES obx, AND YES dumbass OBX put the labels on the wront places haha. The first time, i put it on the front and then, after i tightened BOTH SIDES, i noticed the starter was in the way of the rear and some other thing blocked the front from ever reaching the DP so i switched them...that took like an hour!!!

With the headers on the wrong positions it was impossible to even make contact with the DP. But when i switched them, the DP was still 1/2" (inch) off, and i did a lotta force to get them in, infact, im sore today. Is this dangerous to my welds/car/MYlife?

i just got the stripped nut off and im getting ready to mount the kitty back on..ill check on the post then.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Cool. I was afraid that the header with the label was put on the front and it was off by 1/2 foot (6 inches) and you forced it on. That's what I was talking about.

You lucked out, though, with only half an inch off. Mine was off by at least an inch. But it should be fine.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:50 PM
@ slide or die @

good to know itll be fine...i just came back from the test drive and dang, the intake, iridium plugs and headers do a pretty good difference..just not the turbo effect i dreamt of...

Anyways, i had trouble hooking the CAT from the DP to the exhaust and exhaust to DP...i had to twist the Ypipe with the help of 2 friends and the car JACK! so that the screws went in...the alignement was off by 2-3cm!! i got it in and tightn it TIGHT AS IT CAN GO, so it'll never fall off...the only risk ill run is the exhaust pipe breaking or even worse, the welds breaking off.

Nice talkin to you, this proyect was a nice rush of Adrenaline...seems nobody else knew what was going on or felt like sharing ideas exept you and dale...peace bro...

For all those out there that want to do headers should read this thread and DEFINITLY have the right tools, strengh, patience and atleast 2-4 friends who know what their getting into.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by etxxz
good to know itll be fine...i just came back from the test drive and dang, the intake, iridium plugs and headers do a pretty good difference..just not the turbo effect i dreamt of...

Anyways, i had trouble hooking the CAT from the DP to the exhaust and exhaust to DP...i had to twist the Ypipe with the help of 2 friends and the car JACK! so that the screws went in...the alignement was off by 2-3cm!! i got it in and tightn it TIGHT AS IT CAN GO, so it'll never fall off...the only risk ill run is the exhaust pipe breaking or even worse, the welds breaking off.

Nice talkin to you, this proyect was a nice rush of Adrenaline...seems nobody else knew what was going on or felt like sharing ideas exept you and dale...peace bro...

For all those out there that want to do headers should read this thread and DEFINITLY have the right tools, strengh, patience and atleast 2-4 friends who know what their getting into.
Nice talking to you, too. I don't have an explanation as to why the exhaust system is twisted, though. That's just weird.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, I forgot to mention. After a few days, make sure you tighten the bolts on the headers again. The gaskets expand and shrink, and need some time to be properly seated. If you don't tighten the bolts, you will have leaks.

Enjoy the headers.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:53 PM
@ slide or die @

awesome...thx!

and now, the thread dies...
Old 06-12-2004, 01:56 PM
@ slide or die @

Yo pure, my engine light came on yesterday afternoon...do you have the same problem?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I got 99 Problems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck, post pics or do a rite up for us DIYer's. it would help a great deal.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by etxxz
Yo pure, my engine light came on yesterday afternoon...do you have the same problem?
Nope. My car isn't throwing any codes. Are you sure you put the O2 sensor back in properly??
Old 06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
@ slide or die @

sort of i didnt have the adjustable tool |_| in handy and i had a bad urge to test drive...but its in pretty good..ill try tightning it.