Help Identifying Mystery Icon on Navi Screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Mystery Icon on Navi Screen

For those of you familiar with the TL Navi, please advise. I am trying to determine what the little red icon on the navi screen is. I have looked through the manual , to no avail. THe icon is about the size of a capital letter "I" in 12 point font. It has a little hook on top. THe icon is red. I have driven to these points to no avail. There is nothing there worth noting.

Please help if you know.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Help Identifying Mystery Icon on Navi Screen

Originally posted by Lauderdale TL
For those of you familiar with the TL Navi, please advise. I am trying to determine what the little red icon on the navi screen is. I have looked through the manual , to no avail. THe icon is about the size of a capital letter "I" in 12 point font. It has a little hook on top. THe icon is red. I have driven to these points to no avail. There is nothing there worth noting.

Please help if you know.
I am not familar with that type of symbol. What version DVD do you have 2.04 or new 2.05? I just upgraded to 2.05 version from 1.09 DVD that came with my 2000TL almost 2yrs ago. I see alot of new stuff that was not on 1.09 version. I noticed that the ACURA DEALERSHIPS sign symbols are now blue color. With 1.09 they were red also the gas station symbols have name brands TEXACO, EXXON,SHELL, MOBIL. This made like this on 2.03 version but 1.09 just had red pump symbols. I am curious as to what you are talking about. Can you give me a location that this might appear & I mightt can get it to come up on an area map screen. Someone posted something about a little RED like flag symbol like like on a golf course flag that marks the hole. If you can post a location & give me the address that this symbol comes up on the map screen. We can be sure that someone here will get to the bottom of this mystery.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:03 PM
Instructor

I am using the 2.03 (or 2.04) version of the Nav. Your'e right however, now that I think about it, the icon does resemble the flag on a golf course. These icons are everywhere here in South Florida however. Ive thought they were cellular towers, amongst other things, however its none of those.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Possibilities:

1) Gay bar
2) Anthrax toxin distribution center
3) Good place for a transmission failure
4) Zaino Answer Center kiosk
5) "Is this a good price" answer center
6) CAI Center of Excellence
Old 10-08-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Road Rage
Possibilities:

1) Gay bar
2) Anthrax toxin distribution center
3) Good place for a transmission failure
4) Zaino Answer Center kiosk
5) "Is this a good price" answer center
6) CAI Center of Excellence

"Never say a humorous thing to a man who does not possess humour. He will always use it in evidence against you.'

Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree (1853–1917)

Old 10-08-2001, 07:09 PM
Instructor

That was funny.

Darla -- are you implying that I do not possess humor?
Old 10-08-2001, 07:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Who knows what Humor lies in the Hearts of Men?.....The Darla Do!
Old 10-08-2001, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

That was funny.

I don't think she meant any harm... this was just the closest-to-apropos quote she could find
Old 10-08-2001, 07:44 PM
Cruisin'

RED MARK

Just took a slow road trip (450 miles) to rush the brake-in, and used the navi extensively. I'm using sys. 2.04 and the only thing I can think of is when the navi is set to show GAS stations a red dot will show to represent TEXACO gas stations. It actually shows a red dot with a small T in the center.

Glen
Old 10-09-2001, 08:56 AM
Pro

That was funny.

Lauderdale TL,

No implication of that at all. In fact, being a member of this community probably connotes a greater than average sense of humour .
Old 10-14-2001, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is it the Icon flag symbol for a school located in an orange colored area.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:55 AM
On the way!

Little red icon on screen

I believe those little red flags represent schools and churches.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Little red icon on screen

Originally posted by fla-tls
I believe those little red flags represent schools and churches.
If so, then I guess all those major cities I drive through (SF, Oakland, Sacramento) must not have any schools or churches, because I see no icon of any kind distinguishing either one. And yes--I can point out plenty of places on the navi map where a school or church is located, and I normally drive at 1/8-mile scale in urban areas; so unless there is some hidden setting that will activate icons for schools or churches, I don't think that the red flags represent either one of them. However, I may give you the benefit of the doubt, as I hardly use my navi at 1/20-mile scale; did the red flag icons show up only at that scale or do they show up at 1/8-mile scale also (I can't see why they wouldn't show up at 1/8-mile, as just about all other icons, e.g. gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, Acura dealership all show up at 1/8-mile scale)?

Tony
Old 10-14-2001, 08:35 PM
Banned

The red flags only seem to show up inside one of color-coded areas on the navi screen. Just like the white hospital zones have a red cross in the center, I've noticed the flags appear in the green (park) zones and the yellow (shopping/school) zones. The flag isn't always in the center, so I'm not sure if it represents the main building at the given piece of property or what. Has anyone seen a flag *outside* of one of these colored areas? I think you need to be zoomed 1/8 or 1/20 to see them at all.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Darla

Lauderdale TL,

No implication of that at all. In fact, being a member of this community probably connotes a greater than average sense of humour .
Thats the first post from Darla in a looooooong time that wasnt a quote that I can recall. Come on Im sure you could have found an appropriate quote if you tried.
Old 10-27-2001, 06:27 AM

I have had the same question. Had to try to focus closer to see what it was. I noticed it on yellow or orange-yellow areas when I passed a college or a school. My assumption was that it represented a school building with a flag on top.

Hads
Old 10-27-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

Thats the first post from Darla in a looooooong time that wasnt a quote that I can recall. Come on Im sure you could have found an appropriate quote if you tried.
As requested, Mr. Hyde:

"Humor, a good sense of it, is to Americans what manhood is to Spaniards and we will go to great lengths to prove it. Experiments with laboratory rats have shown that, if one psychologist in the room laughs at something a rat does, all of the other psychologists in the room will laugh equally. Nobody wants to be left holding the joke."

Garrison Keillor

Old 10-28-2001, 09:38 PM
Banned

Okay, I checked out UMass Amherst here in MA. The campus is all yellow (pretty good-sized campus) and the flag is off to one end as opposed to being centered in the campus "area." I drive to where the flag is and I come to the Whitmore Administration Building, which is the main building on campus where everything gets done (or at least that's what's supposed to happen in there). So my *theory* is the flag represents the building within a given area (park, shopping area, campus) that is the headquarters or main office building. The only exceptions I see are the hospitals, where the red cross is always centered. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:54 AM
7th Gear

Originally posted by pianoman41
Okay, I checked out UMass Amherst here in MA. The campus is all yellow (pretty good-sized campus) and the flag is off to one end as opposed to being centered in the campus "area." I drive to where the flag is and I come to the Whitmore Administration Building, which is the main building on campus where everything gets done (or at least that's what's supposed to happen in there). So my *theory* is the flag represents the building within a given area (park, shopping area, campus) that is the headquarters or main office building. The only exceptions I see are the hospitals, where the red cross is always centered. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
I'd like to add to this and guess that the "administration" building is the actual physical address given to whoever inputs the data for the dvd, therefore, the icon represents the actual street address. Any thoughts?

J
Old 10-29-2001, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by flightlvl

I'd like to add to this and guess that the "administration" building is the actual physical address given to whoever inputs the data for the dvd, therefore, the icon represents the actual street address. Any thoughts?

J
Sounds plausible to me.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

That sounds good to me.