Help with Fog Light Mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Help with Fog Light Mod!!!

I Didn´t Looked Up if this was Already Responded, Sorry if this is a Repost.

Hi Guys:

I Want to Turn On my High Beams without my Fogs Automatically Turning Off??

Im not an Electrical Savvy thats why im asking for your asistance guys... i dont wanna mess up things.

This is the Diagram for the Fog Lights Circuit:

Since the "Fog Light mod Ver. 2.0" pretty much Disabled the Combination Switch No. 1 (The One turning the Low Beams on) The problem at Hand is the Combination Switch No. 2 (The One that Selects High Beam/Low Beam in the Diagram).

What i can understand from the Diagram by looking it is, Having the switch in Low Beams Position in the Combination Switch No. 2 gives the Fog Relay its Negative Landing but when we Turn on the High Beams this position changes to nothing disconecting the fog Relay from its Negative Landing (Thats why i suppose the Fogs Turn Off).

SO:

-If i put a Bridge in the "White/Blue" cable from the Fog Light Switch to the Chasis Ground would i defeat this Auto Off thing?

-Anything wrong with this Idea??

Thanks for Any Replys!! Much Appreciated.

PD: I now its Illegal to have everything turned On at the same time but i barelly use my High Beams but when i do, I dont like my Fogs Turning off.... So ill use this Wisely for Sure!.

Last edited by Skirmich; 12-16-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
from my experience with the genesis.

just cut that and splice into another negative.

i think. haha
Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
quit screwing with it unless you like chatting with the Police
You dont gain anything by running them both

OR put a seperate switch wired to ignition On -- so you dont accidentally leave them on and kill the battery-
then you can control fog lights by themself
Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Wink

@jjashaa

OK then ill try it Tonight, I wanna light up my new HID High Beams. I went with 5000K (Pure White) but they fire up so slow its a pain to quickly flash down incoming drivers

@01tl4tl

I Now its illegal but when i drive on the pitchblack Highway to YUMA (8th) its better to have more visibility than caring about small things, Also I Never use High Beams on City so i dont think its much of a Problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Solved and done!!!

I DID IT!!!! It was so Simple i think i did it the wrong way!!!!
BUT Everything turns On without a Flame lol ill Post Pics Right Away!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Exclamation Here it Is my Mini DIY:

So Basically to get the White/Blue Cable Mentioned Before since the Fog Relay is under the Right part of The Dashboard getting to its fairly Difficult, So figure out that the cable came directly from the combination Switch Using this Diagram:

Explained:
The Red Box seems to be the Conection when the Low Beam are on the bridge is set to give Negative feed to the (No. 9 Cable White/Blue) from (No. 11 Cable Negative Landing) but in the Yellow Circles show that when the High Beams are on the Switch Disconnects the No.9 and give it to (No.10 High Beam Dash Light) So the Black Circles show the Negative feeds No. 11 Gives all the Negative feed to this socket so i Think if directly Bridging this two would get my Mod done....

Getting the Lower Wheel Plastic off to get to the Combination Switch Socket:

Procedure:
Tap the White-Blue Cable

To the No. 11 Negative Feed:

Put all Together and Test The Final Results:

So Everything Works Flawleslly the Fog Mod Ver. 2.0 works like it used to, The fogs doesnt remain On at all without key, everything its like always except that the Fogs doesnt turn Off Now when the High Beams are On.

PD: Hope this Work for Everyone out There, And yes my car needs a Paint Job done lol.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice DIY man. Last I heard, someone cut the switch and gave it, its own relay. This is much easier.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Re:

@Finalcross
Some friend told me to put a Relay and such but i thinked it was just a hassle to put so much wires so i didn´t Do it, I tought that could be a simpler way to work it out and it did have it!!

But Honestly It was Much easier having the Repair Manual, Without it i would have been completely Lost here...

So i have test it the whole day No problems whatsoever.

PD: Im not an Electrical Wizard Here so Please do this at your own risk, This was Done working out my Little Electrical Knowledge and Figure out the Electrical Diagrams...

Last edited by Skirmich; 12-17-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
what Im trying to figure out:

If you want more light to see by, why not add real driving lights with pencil beam type forward projection?
My hi beams are pretty much worthless- when comparing lows to low plus hi, they point off in the trees somewhere, not on the road

fog beams are supposed to be low- in front of the car and pointed down so the beam doesnt reflect off the moisture droplets and blind you- they also have a wider pattern spread to illuminate the road lane lines- which happen to contain a special glow stuff in the paint so lights pick it out,,goes all the way back to moonshiners running off the edge of roads~ painted an edge line--actually called fog lines then...

another option for real lighting is install HIDs in the fogs
Do add a relay to protect the rest of the wiring if you do that- lots of power draw.
thats my 2 cents

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 12-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM

To 01tl4tl

I Already Have HIDs in Fogs as you can see in the Pictures with the Added Relay Kit to drawn power directly from the Battery...

The High Beams did it for me Normally tough have some PIAAs Halogen Bulbs in there it pretty much made anyone Lower their Beams for me. The New HID Kit for High Beams is 5000K (Pretty Near to Our OEM 4300K) So its Crystal White or Pure White like they call them in Ebay... Its Incredible how much they Light Up the Road tough since they start to "Charge" they dont light up anything at Starters but once they are "Charged" WoW the Difference its very Clear, Low Beams are Crap compared to High Beams....

Here´s My Battery Setup with the Big 4 done and the Relay Kit installed (Sorry for the Bad Pics, Thats taken with the PSP Camera):

Thanks for the Advice Anyways!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
quit screwing with it unless you like chatting with the Police...
You're saying using aux. lights w/ hi beams is illegal?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
...My hi beams are pretty much worthless- when comparing lows to low plus hi, they point off in the trees somewhere, not on the road...
You may have misaligned lights, or one or both filaments in the hi beam halogens has become misshapen.

[/QUOTE]Do add a relay to protect the rest of the wiring if you do that- lots of power draw. thats my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

The HID setup would probably draw less current than the halogens. Compare the ratings to verify.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooo this is awesom!! Ive done something like this to my legend. I use the hi beam spot as dtr s/hi beams/jdm fogs lol. I have it set up where when you turn on the car they light up but only at half voltage through a relay but when i hit the hi beam switch, the relay gives the bulbs full voltage. Most the time i have them on with my hids on half voltage as jdm fogs also running my fog lights down low. I have been pulled over cuz of it but proved the differences between hi and low and told him the car is supposed to do that lol. Truthfully i did it just for looks and plan to do it on my tl using this awesome diy.

Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
I Already Have HIDs in Fogs as you can see in the Pictures with the Added Relay Kit to drawn power directly from the Battery...

The High Beams did it for me Normally tough have some PIAAs Halogen Bulbs in there it pretty much made anyone Lower their Beams for me. The New HID Kit for High Beams is 5000K (Pretty Near to Our OEM 4300K) So its Crystal White or Pure White like they call them in Ebay... Its Incredible how much they Light Up the Road tough since they start to "Charge" they dont light up anything at Starters but once they are "Charged" WoW the Difference its very Clear, Low Beams are Crap compared to High Beams....

Here´s My Battery Setup with the Big 4 done and the Relay Kit installed (Sorry for the Bad Pics, Thats taken with the PSP Camera):

Thanks for the Advice Anyways!

Awesome DIY! Been wanting to do this for a while!! I have HID in both fogs and lowbeams but sometimes when Im in the middle of no where i want all 6 lights on!

Question for u,
BIG FOUR? Explain...
I was under the impression that is the Big 3. I just order my kinetic hc1800 (81AH!) and when I drop the battery in I was going to upgrade my Big 3. But i noticed there is 2 8gauge wires coming from the positive terminal, One to the alternator and the other to the.....? And did you keep the 8 guage and install 0 gauge with it or did you remove the factory power wires. And which positive terminal is that? I wanted to get one with the digital volt meter too.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:00 PM

About my Big4

Originally Posted by sl33kTL
Awesome DIY! Been wanting to do this for a while!! I have HID in both fogs and lowbeams but sometimes when Im in the middle of no where i want all 6 lights on!

Question for u,
BIG FOUR? Explain...
I was under the impression that is the Big 3. I just order my kinetic hc1800 (81AH!) and when I drop the battery in I was going to upgrade my Big 3. But i noticed there is 2 8gauge wires coming from the positive terminal, One to the alternator and the other to the.....? And did you keep the 8 guage and install 0 gauge with it or did you remove the factory power wires. And which positive terminal is that? I wanted to get one with the digital volt meter too.

Yeah Explained:
Both big Cables that come out directly from the top Terminal are;
1.- OEM Alternator Cable (I Think is 7AWG)
2.- 2AWG Starter (Thats where the name Big 4 Comes Out)**
For the Little Accesory cables are;
3.- One Positive feed for Relay Kit Fog Lights.
4.- One Positive feed for Relay Kit High Beams (Both 10AWG).

**Since i had lots of Leftovers from the Big3 (2AWG Cable) i thinked that the OEM Starter cable was a little bit out of place coming out of the terminal so I decided to change it anyways it didnt cost me nothing the car feels to start quicker it must be my imagination tough.

For The Lower Positive terminal i used 1 Meter of 1/0 "Stinger XPRT Series".
With a Kicker in Line Waffle Fuser with a 150A Fuse.

The Voltage Led Display got it from Ebay its called "X......" something i do not recall the name ill check it out later!! It cost me 25 bucks w/ Shipping.

PD: I did land to chasis the alternator itself aswell with 2AWG i did not take pictures of that tough....

PD2: Funny thing i do not have that much of Audio im using a Little Jensen AMP to power up a Single 12" Sub. I Did it for Future Proof tough.

Last edited by Skirmich; 12-29-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 PM

About Positive Terminal

The Brand is "XScorpion" i could not find it on Ebay, Tough i found these http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Battery-...item5d27c4aff8 that is the pair w/Positive Led display and Plastic Shield!

Hope it Helps, L8ters!

Last edited by Skirmich; 12-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.