Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:56 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!!!

My brother is travelling cross country with his 2001 TL. Right now he's in the middle of nowhere, and he said his transmission fluid is leaking and it smells like it's burning on the engine. Everytime he stops to check the transmission fluid level is high and there's just a little transmission fluid underneath the engine. Is it safe to continue driving? He doesn't want to get stuck.

Any ideas on what to do??

If you're willing to talk to him, e-mail me at pvs57@netscape.com your telephone number and I'll have him call you...

...or post a response NOW!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would continue driving so long as you ARE SURE it is tranny fluid AND you check the tranny fluid level every 10-15 minutes (use your judgement). A small leak will be blown by the wind onto the exhaust pipes/catalytic converter and smell like hell, as well as leave a cloud of smoke due to that if the leak is big enough.

The leak wouldn't phase me to drive on if it were a small one.

If he feels the SLIGHTEST difference in how the car shifts, STOP!

You are SURE it is tranny fluid, right? Did a kleenex into the puddle and it should come out reddish. If it's brown its oil.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:07 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

I called him and he said it still smells, but only when he stops.

And he's SURE it's the tranny fluid...
Old 08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
same thing happens to me. i have little red drips (kinda like my car is on its period) underneath the car. it smells when i come to a slight stop (like traffic lights and stop signs) but its nothing. my tranny is still running smooth and i havent had a problem yet.

it started doing this a while ago when my car mileage was reading around 75000, but now its on 82,000. so after 7,000 miles its still smelling like tranny burns but its still shifting smooth. so you guys shouldnt have too much of a problem.