Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:28 PM
luk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!

Anyone have a similar problem: when engaging Acura TL Type S in reverse the car occassionally jerks/makes a banging or bumping noise.

Here's the situation- wife and I purchased 2003 car brand new, presently it has about 14k miles, within the past 6k miles, a problem with the transmission surfaced, and it recently has been getting worse. When putting the car in reverse, it seems that the transmission delays in catching (just my uneducated conjecture). Symptoms? When engaging reverse, you can feel a bump and hear some type of banging or bumping noise, the car "lurches" or feels like its moving forward but the rpm doesn't jump. Usually occurs reversing on the slightest of inclines, usually occurs during the beginning of the drive, but has occured at other times.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
it could be the begining of the end for your tranny. i would bring it to the dealer to let them check it out
Old 01-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've experienced this too.. and ur right.. it happened to me on an inclined parking lot, while putting it in reverse. I read somewhere on this forum.. that this is normal of Honda cars to do.. this did happen with my 99 Accord .. which down the road... needed new tranny!! But do a search on this topic and u'll find lots of info ... about the noise while putting it into reverse. I also have an 03 and have about 10k miles on it righ tnow.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Help!

Originally posted by luk
Anyone have a similar problem: when engaging Acura TL Type S in reverse the car occassionally jerks/makes a banging or bumping noise.

Here's the situation- wife and I purchased 2003 car brand new, presently it has about 14k miles, within the past 6k miles, a problem with the transmission surfaced, and it recently has been getting worse. When putting the car in reverse, it seems that the transmission delays in catching (just my uneducated conjecture). Symptoms? When engaging reverse, you can feel a bump and hear some type of banging or bumping noise, the car "lurches" or feels like its moving forward but the rpm doesn't jump. Usually occurs reversing on the slightest of inclines, usually occurs during the beginning of the drive, but has occured at other times.
My '03 TL-S makes a "popping noise" when putting it into Reverse but I thought that this was normal?