Hello TL crew

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello TL crew

Hey everyone - I'm new to this TL forum. Anyhow, nice posts you guys have, real civilized compared to some of the other sites around. I'm considering buying a TL but would like to know about how reliable/problem-free it is. While everything I've heard is good, I wanted to hear straight from the owners. I noticed almost no posts regarding probs, so my guess is that you're real happy with your cars. Amyhow, any input re: problems or potential trouble spots would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, as far as service goes, Downtown Acura and Acura of NorthToronto SUCK ASS!!! I am VERY SERIOUS!!!

S. Lee Acura up North in Aroura a bit better,but still got lousy service. Althought with much better attitude!!!

Some say Sherway Acura is good, but I personally think they are just okay, a lot like S. Lee Acura.

The build quality of the car SUCKS!!! I got tons of rattle & squeak. On top of all that, my engine ECU is F up, too. The Engine Check Light pop up all da time!!! The lastest problem that I have encounter is that my sunroof leaks when I go through touchless carwash!!! And I am not talking about a drop or two. The water spray in through the sunroof and was right on my face and my girl's face... Damn, her 93 Volvo 850 Turbo didn't have that problem and it's 8 years old...

With all that been said... I have to say that the TL drives great compared to a lot of cars out there. The double wishbone suspension all around really makes some difference.

Oh, and Acura West at London Ontario got the BEST service. HOLYCOW they really treat me like a VIP!!! But that's 2 hours away from Toronto...

P.S. I am not bashing those dealers in Toronto for no reasons, and I sure hope that my poorly build TL is an isolated incident. However many other people have got the same problems.

Sunroof rattle is common, Seatbelt buckle squeak. The ECU comptuer bug is known to happen on a lot 2000 TL. They got some tranny issues as well...
Old 01-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Racer

Hi, welcome here... I am in Toronto too... anyways... don't buy ur car in Acura of North Toronto...

here are some threads u can read about the problems..

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=27969

oops... I thought I could find more but no... there was one I remember which lots of TL owners here complained about the problems.... if u got time, try to find it....
Old 01-26-2002, 12:58 AM
Drifting

I think GKat is talking about problems on the car, not at the dealership.

Here's a short summary: The TL is a remarkably reliable and well-built car in general, and a fantastic value for money. It will give you years of both comfortable and spirited driving pleasure.

That said, there are some common problems that can be easily fixed by the dealer. These include creaks and rattles of various sorts (seat belt and moonroof squeaks are common).

Then there is the rumor of a transmission problem. This problem seems to be isolated to a handful of people, but may mean that a bad batch of trannies were produced. Stay tuned for details.

Most common complaints about the TL are: paint is too fragile (but all new cars are like that, darn EPA types!); the ride is too tall (get lowering springs), there's too much body roll (get swaybars), the tires suck (yes, they do), and the wheels are too narrow (yes, they are).
Old 01-26-2002, 01:44 AM
Racer

Welcome GKat. JD Powers rates the TL #1 (tied with Lexus ES300) for initial quality in its class. They are very reliable cars.

I have a 2000; no problems yet. Great car!