Headlights Stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Headlights Stolen!

My headlights were stolen last week - well I should completely RIPPED out of my 2000 TL last week. The damage was so bad - it looks like a crowbar was used on the hood to get to the lights - the lights alone are $4,000 to repair and the hood has to be replaced entirely for another $3,000. Just yesterday I read about all the headlight thefts Nissan Maximas have had and was informed that Nissan is recalling Maximas 2002 and 2003 and are installing, free of charge, a tracking device into the headlights if they are stolen (being that most of these stolen headlights end up on other cars). Nissan is also being sued by the state of NY and NJ for failing to adequately secure these headlights against thefts and for failing to inform owners at the time of purchase about the high risk of theft of these lights.
I have been inquiring online and have found that Acura TLs and CLs have had twice as many thefts of these Xenon headlights since 2000.
Has anyone heard of Acura/Honda offering anything like this?
I am afraid that once my car is repaired the headlights will be stolen again. I know 2 people these thefts have happened to multiple times, prompting them to finally sell the car or trade it in. The insurance companies are also having a fit over these thefts and are dropping people left and and right b/c of these thefts.
Please give me some insight!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear bro, unfortunately cuz of the abundance of our cars and maximas that is why we are the cars that have headlight theft problems. There is really nothign we can do about it. I would just recommend garage parkign the car and if ur in a mall or somethign make sure u park backwards with ur light facing outside and visible to others. Other than that there is not much I can say. If you need a good body shop I can recommend one for you that will do a great job.

Good Luck
Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for your reply. I'm definitley going to follow this Nissan lawsuit though b/c I think manufacturers will be making some changes on this in the near future. In the meantime, I'm going to look into sensor shocks and seriously upgrade my alarm (which never went off the whole time).
Old 03-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Sorry to hear. Its defintitly one drawback to owning a TL in our area.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by siree23
Thanks for your reply. I'm definitley going to follow this Nissan lawsuit though b/c I think manufacturers will be making some changes on this in the near future. In the meantime, I'm going to look into sensor shocks and seriously upgrade my alarm (which never went off the whole time).
Damn freaking thieves. I doubt the alarm will do any good for the professional crooks, which I think are the ones that are jacking the headlights. But it might deter the petty thefts.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro

just an FYI

The system nissan is using is called data dots...and they are also adding an extra bracket that bolts onto the headlight. The data dots is basically random dots that are unique to each car...it won't prevent them from getting stolen but if they are found it can be tracked back to you.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I hate reading these types of threads
Sorry for your loss.
Did anyone see/hear a news report about Nissan giving the NYPD a few cars to use as bait ? I thought I read/saw something along those lines.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Extreme Lurker

Sorry on ur loss, it sucks it had to happen. Did this happen in the Bronx to you?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Headlights Stolen!

Originally posted by siree23
My headlights were stolen last week - well I should completely RIPPED out of my 2000 TL last week. The damage was so bad - it looks like a crowbar was used on the hood to get to the lights - the lights alone are $4,000 to repair and the hood has to be replaced entirely for another $3,000. Just yesterday I read about all the headlight thefts Nissan Maximas have had and was informed that Nissan is recalling Maximas 2002 and 2003 and are installing, free of charge, a tracking device into the headlights if they are stolen (being that most of these stolen headlights end up on other cars). Nissan is also being sued by the state of NY and NJ for failing to adequately secure these headlights against thefts and for failing to inform owners at the time of purchase about the high risk of theft of these lights.
I have been inquiring online and have found that Acura TLs and CLs have had twice as many thefts of these Xenon headlights since 2000.
Has anyone heard of Acura/Honda offering anything like this?
I am afraid that once my car is repaired the headlights will be stolen again. I know 2 people these thefts have happened to multiple times, prompting them to finally sell the car or trade it in. The insurance companies are also having a fit over these thefts and are dropping people left and and right b/c of these thefts.
Please give me some insight!
It was a crowbar indeed..a 4 foot one is the weapon of choice. Watch where you park and see if people follow you home at nite.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That really freaking sucks. If you are going to pay out of your own pocket then I don't think it will cost that much to fix. Especially not $7k. The hood should be like $500 for the part alone. Headlights housing you can get for $400 for both at MOST. Now the bulbs and ballasts I am not too sure. I bought a pair of headlights from ebay for $150 shipped.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Dude, you have few choices...

I HAD MY LIGHTS STOLEN TOO, JOIN THE CLUB!!!! DON'T WORRY WE WILL HELP YOU! you can pay out of your pocket or go through comprehesive with your insurance. You can buy parts on the web (ebay) or look below....

First, if you need any part call Tim at 1888-RAY-LAKS. He hooked me up for a nice price... you will save money!!!!!! I got everything that i needed. The lights from the dealer are $1700 or so. He will get it for you cheaper!

Body work be careful - a lot of freaking details to cover. Make sure you get a good shop

Also, please pay attention to other parts that connect to the lights... they are probably damaged/gone....

for detaills email or pm

good luck dude!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bbznyc
Also, please pay attention to other parts that connect to the lights... they are probably damaged/gone....

for detaills email or pm

good luck dude!!!!
I'm assuming you mean the ballast, correct?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Drifting

The ballasts go right off with the headlights. I would assume those are missing already.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Bxscig
The ballasts go right off with the headlights. I would assume those are missing already.
So wait..all the thieves need to do is basically rip off the casing on our headlights, pull the bulb..and the ballast will rip off too? Didn't know it was that easy...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by `ill*tl
So wait..all the thieves need to do is basically rip off the casing on our headlights, pull the bulb..and the ballast will rip off too? Didn't know it was that easy...
This whole headlight theft thing sucks!:banghead:
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Drifting

The ballast is screwed onto the bottom of the headlight and the bulb is attached the ballast

Brand new...
I know the headlight casing is like $175... the entire ballast unit is like what? $300 also? bulb another $150... misc parts? screws and stuff cant be that much.

Total should be like $600 for each side.

It is all attached as one unit or at least for 02/03.

Below is for 99-01.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Instructor

I'm assuming you mean the ballast, correct?
i mean little connectors, other wiring all around. They pull that $hit right off.

Just use common sense and pay attention all around the area!
Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
It's more like $800 a side.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Drifting

$1600 is still a lot better than his $4k of work. I'll fix it for $4k
Old 03-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a pair of headlights from ebay for $150 shipped.
One has to wonder where these lights come from, at that price.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Pusha Z

I bought a pair of headlights from ebay for $150 shipped.
Keep feeding the fire and it will come back to burn you
Old 03-11-2004, 10:09 AM
El Presidente

my condolensces for ur loss bro. it really ticks me off when people steal stuff and harm other peoples cars. i hope what goes around comes around.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by DrivebyTL-S 03
Feeding the fire? They were not stolen they came brand new in the Honda box. Nothing broken, no scratches. There are also ones that sell from junkyards from them. They were only the casing... no bulbs or ballasts.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:18 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by FidizzyTypeS
just an FYI

The system nissan is using is called data dots...and they are also adding an extra bracket that bolts onto the headlight. The data dots is basically random dots that are unique to each car...it won't prevent them from getting stolen but if they are found it can be tracked back to you.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to speak to my repair shop to find out if these brackets can be installed when the lights are replaced. I also have a call into Acura to find out if these "data dots" are available for our cars. I would love to catch these guys who stole my headlights:-} That would be so SWEET!:-\
Old 03-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by T Ho
One has to wonder where these lights come from, at that price.
Originally posted by DrivebyTL-S 03
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710 >>>>>>>> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...sort=3&rows=50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464843275

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2466045146

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ory=33710&rd=1
Old 03-11-2004, 10:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by CrackPuppy
Sorry on ur loss, it sucks it had to happen. Did this happen in the Bronx to you?
Yup. Happened right in front of my window at home in the Bronx.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Whatever happened to the days when you could pick up a couple of headlights (Sealed-Beam units) at Pep Boys for $25?

$800 per side!!!!!! Geez...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

From one of those links-

This is an OEM right, or passengers side headlight for a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL sedan. It is in perfect working condition and shows no signs of damage. There are no cracks or breaks in it at all. The bottom mounting bracket is broken off but this does not affect the functionality of this light. This will fit all 1999-2001 model 3.2 TLs.
Hmmm... how'd that mounting bracket get broken? Curious, no?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by T Ho
From one of those links-

Hmmm... how'd that mounting bracket get broken? Curious, no?
Check his feedback. All he sells is headlights from JunkYards.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Old 03-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Pusha Z

my bad Bxscig a bad assumption on my part. game on! game on!
Old 03-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Whatever happened to the days when you could pick up a couple of headlights (Sealed-Beam units) at Pep Boys for $25?

$800 per side!!!!!! Geez...

exactly
Old 03-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
what i don't understand is why isn't acura doing anything about it like nissan is. I'm sure the TL light have been getting ripped since 99. Whether the nissan brackets and data dots are working or not, alteast they came up with something. Acura is doing nothing, NY/NJ should be sueing Acura as well !!.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by vtec11
what i don't understand is why isn't acura doing anything about it like nissan is. I'm sure the TL light have been getting ripped since 99. Whether the nissan brackets and data dots are working or not, alteast they came up with something. Acura is doing nothing, NY/NJ should be sueing Acura as well !!.
I absolutely agree. That's why I'm following this Nissan lawsuit very closely. B/c whatever the verdict is on that case, trust me, lawsuits against other manufacturers will follow. And if you search the internet, you are right, Acura TL lights have been getting heavily jacked since 99 - Xenon lights weren't available on Nissans until 2001 so Acura thefts are twice as much.
I am very concerned that our cars are not getting any attention on this matter - and our cars are supposed to be "luxury" vehicles. Trust me, if this was happening to BMWs, Benzs or Lexus - this matter would've been dealt with a long time ago. I am very angry and disappointed right now.
When my car is repaired, I'm so worried that wherever I go I'll be thinking about the damn car all the time. And now I'll have to take all these extra measures to make sure my headlights (thieves are really incredible) are not stolen again. It sucks:-(
Old 03-12-2004, 11:15 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

I lost mine in December. Approx 4K damage. i'm sure they aren't too happy about it but Geico paid it. But now I dont trust having the car ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! It's garaged all week, and comes out on the weekends, but is back in the garage by 10pm. As far as the data dots go, I don't see them helping any, we all know our HIDs end up on some a******s little rice burner, which is NOT going to use the Maxima's or TL's headlight, thats going to the trash, they only need the bulb and ballast, unless they are going to dot the bulb, its a waste also... jmo.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by TlsNavi03
I lost mine in December. Approx 4K damage. i'm sure they aren't too happy about it but Geico paid it. But now I dont trust having the car ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! It's garaged all week, and comes out on the weekends, but is back in the garage by 10pm. As far as the data dots go, I don't see them helping any, we all know our HIDs end up on some a******s little rice burner, which is NOT going to use the Maxima's or TL's headlight, thats going to the trash, they only need the bulb and ballast, unless they are going to dot the bulb, its a waste also... jmo.
The car is too expensive to keep garaged all the time - I drive as much as possible - I must get my money's worth. Besides, my kids need to get to school and I have a start-up business that requires a lot of driving right now, etc, etc, etc. And there are just too many other much more important things in life than to have to worry about your car's headlights being stolen everywhere you go. This is just ridiculous....Now it looks like I'll have to find a private garage, since I don't have one, which is going to cost me extra $ every month. What a damn headache this is becoming-
Old 03-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Drifting

It may be extra money but it beats walking to your car seeing it raped.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:11 PM
10th Gear

It may be extra money but it beats walking to your car seeing it raped.
Such is true. Because I sure felt sick when I walked out last week and saw my car ripped up like that.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Is insurance going to cover it all or will this be out of pocket?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:27 PM
10th Gear

Is insurance going to cover it all or will this be out of pocket?
The insurance is going to cover it so there's a little relief.

Quick Reply: Headlights Stolen!