Headlight won't turn back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight won't turn back on

Hey, so I recently replaced the headlights and HID lights for both driver and passenger sides. However I had to replace the ballast on the passenger side. Soon after that was installed the left light started acting up in a way that when i turn the low beams on they both turn on, but after I turn them off and shortly turn them back on the driver side won't turn back on until the next time I have to drive the car hours after. Please give me some hints as to what it might be, I'm assuming it is the ballast..

Thank you everyone.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
HID lights in general (like metal halide, high pressure sodium, etc stuff you see in street lights, stadiums, etc) do not have quick re-strike times, excepting some ballasts and/or lamps designed specifically for it. Auto HIDs are specifically designed for quick re-strike.

To reignite a hot HID headlight, the ballasts will need to use a very high voltage initially to get the arc started. If there is a problem with the ballast (or ignitor) it may only be able to fire up a cold lamp.

Best bet is to start swapping parts left/right until the problem switches sides. I wouldn't rule out any component, could be faulty HID lamp too.