Headlight clearing: Top 10 things to know

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Headlight clearing: Top 10 things to know

My experience of clearing my headlights....

....What seems relatively simple is quite meticulous work. Not having the right tools, forgeting steps, running out of daylight all were problems for me, amongst other things. Not to sound negative but I wish I'd had more experience in both removing parts and handling them. All-in-all I didn't do too bad, but I wish I'd done, better. I think handling your headlights carefully is the most important thing. From the directions I've seen, that is one of the things I'd mention first.

Top 10 things you should know before hand.

1. Start early in the day. So you won't have to drive to work the next day without headlights because you didn't have enough light in your parking lot to fininsh at 10 PM.
2. A 10mm ratchet socket and 6 inch extender are very useful in removing the lights.
3. Don't forget to take out all bulbs before the light goes in the oven.
4. 225F for 10-15 minutes should be enough to take apart the headlight housing. (Put lights in a cold oven)
5. I used oven mits and the ironing board to take apart the housing. Be prepared to get silicon on them though.
6. LIGHTLY rub off fingerprints with a soft cloth. I touched the cloth to my tongue and rubbed again, and chrome started to rub off! (Maybe MGD and faux chrome don't mix?)
7. Work quick enough that the silicone stays warm at least until you reassemble the housing. But be careful not to scratch the lens or "chrome" in the process.
8. You may get hot silicone on the chrome. Very hard to get off, knowing the chrome may rub off too.
9. You may also get hot silicone on the lens, your clothes, shoes, floor, tools, beer, and anything you're handling!
10. While you're down there you can remove the intake resonator pretty easily. (Again the 10mm socket & extender are useful) *Finish the headlights first!*

Again I'm glad I did this and certainly more confident, but I still wish I had done better. Its not hard to do, but easy to screw up! Good luck and Have fun.

Jabari
Old 08-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cleared mine, but my driver side is fogging up Do I need to bake it open and re-seal it? Or can I just re-seal the seam with more silicon?

Tatewaki
Old 08-27-2002, 09:57 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Tatewaki
I cleared mine, but my driver side is fogging up Do I need to bake it open and re-seal it? Or can I just re-seal the seam with more silicon?

Tatewaki
Try re-sealing first then do the whole process of taking them apart and re sealing them again if it doesnt work.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Headlight clearing: Top 10 things to know

Originally posted by JaDia4
Top 10 things you should know before hand.

1. Start early in the day. So you won't have to drive to work the next day without headlights because you didn't have enough light in your parking lot to fininsh at 10 PM.
2. A 10mm ratchet socket and 6 inch extender are very useful in removing the lights.
3. Don't forget to take out all bulbs before the light goes in the oven.
4. 225F for 10-15 minutes should be enough to take apart the headlight housing. (Put lights in a cold oven)
5. I used oven mits and the ironing board to take apart the housing. Be prepared to get silicon on them though.
6. LIGHTLY rub off fingerprints with a soft cloth. I touched the cloth to my tongue and rubbed again, and chrome started to rub off! (Maybe MGD and faux chrome don't mix?)
7. Work quick enough that the silicone stays warm at least until you reassemble the housing. But be careful not to scratch the lens or "chrome" in the process.
8. You may get hot silicone on the chrome. Very hard to get off, knowing the chrome may rub off too.
9. You may also get hot silicone on the lens, your clothes, shoes, floor, tools, beer, and anything you're handling!
10. While you're down there you can remove the intake resonator pretty easily. (Again the 10mm socket & extender are useful) *Finish the headlights first!*

Again I'm glad I did this and certainly more confident, but I still wish I had done better. Its not hard to do, but easy to screw up! Good luck and Have fun.

Jabari
4. leaving it in the oven for about 8 min for 200F is enuf. if not put it back in for 3-4 min. heating it TOO much is wut causes the sealant to get on everything.
6. if u need to clean the chrome parts, try a lil bit of windex (wipe lightly). from my experience, it doesnt rub the chrome off.

other points:
1. DO IT WITH TWO OR MORE PEOPLE!
2. start pulling the headlight apart from the pointy end of the light (u need to pull very hard).
3. one person pulls the headlight, while the other guy undoes the clips with a flat head, it is only necessary to open the headlight along the TOP side.
4. as the headlight is pulled apart, cut along the sealant, do not let it stretch.
5. use ur fingers to press down the sealant along the sides, so that it doesnt get on the chrome when u pull it out.
6. remember to put the two screws back on the chrome.
7. push the lights back together as much as u can, get in as many clips as u can, BEFORE u heat it back up.
8. heat it back up for about 4 min at 200F, then take it out, and get guys to push on both ends of the headlight, hard! check to make sure the gaps are stock-looking.
9. hold it there for 5-10 min to make sure the sealant has dried.
10. let it cool off and let any water vapor air out before replacing the headlight.

of course the best thing to do is to try it on someone elses headlights first