Current:
'98 Acura 3.2TL Green/Parchment

Soon:
'01 Acura 3.2TL-S Aegean Blue/Ebony
Old 02-01-2001, 01:43 AM

White TL-S .
Old 02-01-2001, 02:11 AM

Dark Emerald Pearl / Parchment.

I have grown to love the Aegean Blue since ordering my TL-S in December and have thought about switching colors. BUT, the biggest problem with the blue (or silver for that matter) is that ebony interior is the only choice. Specifically, if you order ebony interior you'll get the "bowling ball" treatment. I just can't see living with the "bowling ball" trim on a day-to-day basis.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I am first on the list at my dealer I get my choice when they roll off the truck. Selection will likely to be between the sliver/ebony or black/parchment. I know these have been ordered as I was there when it was put in the system. Driver factor is likely to be the wood issue. I don't like the looks of the black 'bowling ball' finish. Good news is its only about 6 weeks to go now!!!
Old 02-01-2001, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Haven't ordered it, but my dealer said I don't need to since I'm not purchasing until June/July. Since I'm a repeat customer they will get what I want if they don't have it. I'm going to get the Blue/Ebony. Either I'll live with the fake marble trim, or rip it out and put wood there. I've actually grown used to the marble trim b/c of the CLS... it really isn't that horrible. We'll see.... it's the least of my worries...

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S...
(CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 02-01-2001, 09:17 AM
Racer

i got mine coming on march 10th
black/ebony with navi

------------------
2000 TL, Satin Silver, Burlwood shifter, Fog light ports, front air dam and mud gaurds custom painted to match car! 18" Alba Blaze with 235/40ZR18 Toyo Proxes F4
Old 02-01-2001, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the Dark Emerald/Parchment TL-S. As many of you noticed, I debated for the longest time between the White Diamond Pearl and the Dark Emerald. I went with the Dark Emerald...I'm partial to deep mirror finishes I think and the White was cool, but not as mirror-like.

I keep hearing mid march sometime...hope that is true! I want to see this car in person!
Old 02-01-2001, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Black/Black with Nav. ordered Dec 21,2000-order confirmed by Acura last Thursday-hope to get in early March
Old 02-02-2001, 01:49 PM

Shut up! All of you, just shut up!!! (fit of jealousy)
Old 02-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Brazil JJ:
Shut up! All of you, just shut up!!! (fit of jealousy)
LOL ....

Old 02-03-2001, 09:39 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Cool

Black w/ebony interior. Was told to expect it in March. We'll see!!!! (99TL coming off lease) TL-S will be a BUY - I will never lease again!
Old 02-03-2001, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Ordered mine Dec 8. Pearl White TL-S.
Expected in March. Hey Freddie, when and how did your dealer confirm March 10 delivery? Mine only says sometime in March he hopes...
Old 02-04-2001, 02:01 AM

Has anyone ordered one recently? If so, what date are they giving you? I plan to go down there in about 2 weeks to order and I'm hoping to get the car sometime in April.

Anyone order in Southern CA? What Dealer? What date did you get from them?

-spack
Old 02-04-2001, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Loved the TL that came out right after I bought my 1998 Accord Exv6. Later this year I plan to get the TL-s as based on the CL-s that I saw at the auto show last year and the fact the TL-s should be similar, that is one fine car. Will be interested on how the first owners like their cars. Anyone know how much the Canadian model will cost. I heard about $40 K.
Old 02-05-2001, 05:41 PM
The "old" guy

Cool

Aegean Blue....due March 18th. My dealer (Ed Martin Acura in Indianapolis) had 8 coming in...4 Nav...4 w/o Nav. Only 3 had deposits on them. They had an Aegean Blue with Nav available...I gave them my credit card for 500 bucks and its held for me. To top that all off, they said if I didnt like it when it came in, they would refund my deposit money!
Old 02-05-2001, 05:59 PM
The "old" guy

Originally posted by spackletoe:
Has anyone ordered one recently? If so, what date are they giving you? I plan to go down there in about 2 weeks to order and I'm hoping to get the car sometime in April.

Anyone order in Southern CA? What Dealer? What date did you get from them?

-spack
They are saying here in Indiana that to order one now is delivery in May.
Old 02-05-2001, 07:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Does anyone wonder if we are being jerked around by the dealers ? We should remember that some of us were told by the dealers back in September that the 01' TL would have memory seat and CD changer. But in fact it didn't happen. Some were told earlier this year there would be a 6-speed transmission for the upcoming TL-S because of the factory order code. It didn't happen either. I wish it did. Now the dealers are telling all kinds of dates when the TL-S will arrive. I think it's kind strange that Honda holds back the price list to the dealers but gives them the shipping list. I suspect the dealers don't even know when the first TL-S will come in.
Old 02-06-2001, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Cool

Ordered Jan 3, 2001. Number 3 on the list.
Silver TL-S w/o Navi.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:11 PM
Instructor

silver/ebony

cannot decide on the nav. I have the nav in my odyssey and do not think it is worth the $2k. $600-800, maybe.
Old 02-09-2001, 02:19 PM

Talking

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I just got a call from a salesperson at my local dealer. He confirmed TL-S will built on March 15, 2001. Delivery should be around the end of March. I ordered White/Parchment.
Old 02-09-2001, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Cool

Greetings All. Just got an e-mail from my dealer this morning confirming my Satin Silver/Ebony with Navigation system. It has a build date of 3/16/01, and is expected to arrive at the end of March or the first week of April. Official pricing is to be released this month. MSRP for non-Nav TL-S is expected to be around $32K, with an additonal $2K for the Navigation system.
Old 02-11-2001, 04:13 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I ordered one this week and it will arrive early April. Silver/ebony. Autoweek said the non-nav will be under $30k, so if that is true the Nav should be around $32k.

I drove the CL-S and liked the engine punch a lot. Plus, it shifted firmer (S has a beefier torque converter).

I am gonna transfer my TL go-fast parts (wheels, header, exh) to the Ess - in fact, I got my dealer to include the cost of swapping the stuff off my 2000 TL and re-installing in the S as part of my deal.

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled
Old 02-12-2001, 09:16 AM

Angry

I talked to a dealer yesterday and he said expected to be in around April 1.
I told him I was still pondering the BMW or the Infinity so it was no hurry.
I then got some pictures of the New Type S emailed to me from the Auto show and to say that I was disappointed is an understatement. They shouldn't have changed it.
The one thing that annoys me about Acura is their continual tinkering with body styles.
LEAVE IT ALONE so we don't have to worry about driving a dated look one year after we buy it!
They're making it really easy for me to jump to BMW and that's a shame.
Old 02-12-2001, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Tag66:
Lawrence,

You've posted your opinion of the restyling in several different posts already. If you don't like it, why don't you just get yourself a 2001 TL with a nice discount?? BMW is nice if you have the money to load it up.. Wouldn't buy the Infiniti-- go test drive it and you'll know why. Bottom line, you gotta go with what you like.. Don't like the new TL-S? Don't buy it! Isn't America great...
Amen Tag!!

FYI, my dealer informed me they should be arriving late March. TL-S with Navi is around $32k, which would put the non-navi at around $30k....

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on February 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-12-2001, 01:02 PM

Yes, I know I have options in the car I buy. That's the reason why I had a problem with the dealer telling me that the S type would be going for full sticker! The dealer acted as if I didn't have any choice in what I buy.
BMW vs Acura comes down to price mostly.
The pricing I've been doing have the BMW 330i at @ the same price as the projected price of the new S Type TL. This is with sports packaging on the BMW.
That being the case, don't cop an attitude with me about Sticker only pricing.

Old 02-12-2001, 08:26 PM
Racer

Juniorbean,

Did they really tell you $30K and $32K for the TL-s??? That sounds a bit lower than I've been hearing ($31.5 and $33.5).. My dealer is also expecting mid march build and late march/early april delivery. I havent placed a deposit yet because I'd like some confirmation on pricing first. Which dealer are you working with? and have you placed a deposit yet??
Old 02-12-2001, 11:33 PM
Racer

Lawrence,

You've posted your opinion of the restyling in several different posts already. If you don't like it, why don't you just get yourself a 2001 TL with a nice discount?? BMW is nice if you have the money to load it up.. Wouldn't buy the Infiniti-- go test drive it and you'll know why. Bottom line, you gotta go with what you like.. Don't like the new TL-S? Don't buy it! Isn't America great...
Old 02-12-2001, 11:53 PM
HU
Instructor

Originally posted by NA1-T:
White TL-S .
Which dealer did you order the TL-S from? How much is the new TL-S? When are you expecting it?

Old 02-13-2001, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Cool

Originally posted by Tag66:
Juniorbean,

Did they really tell you $30K and $32K for the TL-s??? That sounds a bit lower than I've been hearing ($31.5 and $33.5).. My dealer is also expecting mid march build and late march/early april delivery. I havent placed a deposit yet because I'd like some confirmation on pricing first. Which dealer are you working with? and have you placed a deposit yet??

Tag,

They actually only gave me the price for the navi model, but with simple subtraction, I figured out the price of the non-navi model . I contacted my dealer late January and asked if I need to put a deposit down if I plan to buy in June/July. They said, they recommend it, but it's not necessary. I'm also a long time customer (bought my car there in '98, my uncle and aunt just bought their 4th from there), so they said they could get me one if necessary. He told me they expect the TL-S with Navi to be around $32k. This was the price Acura is giving them, but it could change. The best thing to do is work a deal with them (in writing) on a price point when you put down the deposit (example, $300 under MSRP, no more then MSRP, etc.). Also have an out so if they don't hit that point, you get your deposit back. The dealership is Curry Acura in Scarsdale, NY.....

------------------
(CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.260hp.com

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on February 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-13-2001, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Lawrence:
*(snip)*
That being the case, don't cop an attitude with me about Sticker only pricing.
I got news for you....even the all-mighty BMW marks up their cars when they're introduced. Case in point, M3 and M5. MSRP on an M3 is around $40 - $45k (base model). Good luck finding one when it gets released for less then $55-$60k. It also happened on the new 323 and 328 models when they came out. BTW, out of curiousity, how much HP does the BMW 330i come with? I went to carsdirect.com and configured the BMW 330i (sedan) to match the TL Type-S as far as equipment and the price on there is just over $44k (and the price they quote you is MSRP which is almost $41k). The only thing I couldn't configure was a 6-disc CD player. It wasn't an option for the BMW on the website (probably a dealer option). I'll take my Type-S, pop $1000 headers in there, and be happy with my fully loaded, sleek but not flashy styled, 290HP rocket (yes, CompTech headers add 30hp)......

------------------
(CL or TL)!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on February 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-13-2001, 07:27 PM
Advanced

JuniorBean, do those headers void a warranty?
That's a lot of HP and I would love to put them on my new car if they don't affect the warranty.
Please reply.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2001, 07:40 PM
tea elle

I can't figure out why so many people on here want to trade in two year-old TLs for a TL-S. The car is going to change again before you know it and then what? Where do you guys get all your disposable income?

I mean, I could see trading up for a GS300, or a BMW, but I think you're all nuts to get another TL so much like the ones you're driving now.

This is just my opinion...something to think about.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-13-2001, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tea elle:
I can't figure out why so many people on here want to trade in two year-old TLs for a TL-S. The car is going to change again before you know it and then what? Where do you guys get all your disposable income?

I mean, I could see trading up for a GS300, or a BMW, but I think you're all nuts to get another TL so much like the ones you're driving now.

Hmm I like the TL-S better then a bmw and the GS300/400 is nice but not quite worth it. The TL-S is a awesome bargain for what your getting. And hell its only money. Why else do I work 60hours+ a week for?

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura
Old 02-14-2001, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Talking

Originally posted by Louisiana:
JuniorBean, do those headers void a warranty?
That's a lot of HP and I would love to put them on my new car if they don't affect the warranty.
Please reply.
Thanks

Yeah, the HP output is pretty awesome. It's actually 27hp at the wheels, so you have to figure it's around 32hp at the crank. From what I've been reading they do not void the warranty. Acura and CompTech are partners of some sort. A lot of people who have the CL-S and got the headers actually had them installed at their Acura dealer!! The only aftermarket parts Acura dealers will install are CompTech parts, so that tells you something! Personally, I'm going to have it done elsewhere b/c the labor rates are way too high at the dealer....

Old 02-14-2001, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Cool

Great reply MToker

Actually, the redesign of the TL is going to be released in 2003 as a 2004 model. Since they did the "facelift" this year, they put off the redesign until 2003 to coinside with the new RL. Now, this is all stuff I've been reading, don't know how acurate it is.

As for the not understanding part.... Personally, I like cars. That's why I'm on these boards. I also like having a new one every couple of years. You know what I'm going to do when the new TL comes out in 2-3 years? Probably trade in my 2002 TL-S for it, if I like it enough. For me,getting the 2002 is a trade up. I'm going from a CL to a TL, but even if I was already in a TL like most of these guys, I'd still probably trade up. I work to make money. Thus I get to spend it on whatever I want. With a wedding and house coming next year, this probably will be my last new car for a little while, so why not go for it?

------------------
(CL or TL)!!

Old 02-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

That's great, man. You should be very proud of how well you've done for yourself at such a young age. Keep it up, and congrats on getting married next year!
Thank you!! We'll see how well the money flows once I get married and buy a house!!

Old 02-14-2001, 10:17 PM
Advanced

I can certainly see Tea's point here. Some here act as if paying the MSRP is no big deal and ought to be done without even the slightest bit of consideration.
I look at a vehicle and say "What's it worth down the road?" The TL has held it's value well so that's a big plus.
Holding value is relative though. If you paid 30k for yours the day they were released and I waited and paid 28k then I'm the smarter consumer. You just threw away $2,000! How is that reasonable on ANY level?

Old 02-14-2001, 11:02 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by juniorbean:
Great reply MToker

Actually, the redesign of the TL is going to be released in 2003 as a 2004 model. Since they did the "facelift" this year, they put off the redesign until 2003 to coinside with the new RL. Now, this is all stuff I've been reading, don't know how acurate it is.

As for the not understanding part.... Personally, I like cars. That's why I'm on these boards. I also like having a new one every couple of years. You know what I'm going to do when the new TL comes out in 2-3 years? Probably trade in my 2002 TL-S for it, if I like it enough. For me,getting the 2002 is a trade up. I'm going from a CL to a TL, but even if I was already in a TL like most of these guys, I'd still probably trade up. I work to make money. Thus I get to spend it on whatever I want. With a wedding and house coming next year, this probably will be my last new car for a little while, so why not go for it?

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. First you say you'll trade up again when the 02-03 TL comes out, then you say this will be your last splurge for a while because you're getting married. Which is it, bro?

I can see why you would trade in a '98 CL (zzzzzz....old CLs are pretty dull) for the TL-S. No question about it. If you read what I wrote, you'd know that I was referring to the TL-to-TLS trade-up...for me the smart move is to not do it. Believe me, I would love to get the horse power, handling and better seats on the TL-S. But it would be financial mistake.

For some of you, spending the money seems to be a non-issue...good for you! But, I can't believe how many guys in their teens and early 20s are TL owners. Do these guys live at home and therefore have zero overhead? Do they have trust funds? Do their parents simply spoil them? Do they deal drugs?

If you think about it, its pretty incongruous with the typical buying power of someone that age. At that stage of my life I was in college, eating Domino's every night and riding a bike around campus.

Now I'm in my mid 30s and earning over six figures, and I'd still have a hard time justifying the trade up right now.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 02-14-2001, 11:21 PM

Ordered my TL-S last Saturday. Dealer said mid-March which coincides with what others are being told. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Old 02-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. First you say you'll trade up again when the 02-03 TL comes out, then you say this will be your last splurge for a while because you're getting married. Which is it, bro? *(snip)*
It's both. I will be getting the 2002 this year, and, if I like it enough and the money is still coming in, I will probably upgrade in '04 or '05 or so. Hey, that's 3 years without a new car, long time for me . By my last splurge, it means I can't upgrade next year (which I wouldn't do anyway) or in 2003. If I upgraded in '04 or '05, it would still be the next gen model, right? As far as the younger folks getting money, I don't get it either. When I was under 20 years old, I was driving a Sunfire GT (which I bought myself) and I thought that was a good car for an 18 year old. Now, I'm 24 and making really good money, so it's not an issue. I started at this job when I was 20, so for the last 4 years, I've been making really good money and I've purchased everything on my own, no help from mommy and daddy. It's all about what you do. Like I said, I've been at my current company for 4 years and I caught it at the right time. I am a technical guy in a financial company. Jackpot on both sides. Sure, the markets slowing this year, but not for me. Now I'm in the sales end of it. Even more money. To be honest, it wasn't hard for me to make a lot of money in my early 20's. I was just at the right place at the right time. Now, I can't speak for everyone, and I'm sure a lot of people have had their cars paid for, but not me...ever.

------------------
(CL or TL)!!

Quick Reply: Head count on TL-S order