Have you all got dealer to fix the paint chips for ya

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you all got dealer to fix the paint chips for ya

I am heading the dealer today, and wondering if you have any experience convincing the dealer to fix the paint chips for you for free?

Do they have better ways of fixing it than touching up?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

LoL... good luck! They sometimes dont even fix what they are suppose to .. and your going to try to get them to fix paint chips. If you succeed, please post dealer info and all, cuz I will be next to go there!

Im in the same boat, Im thinking either the Touch Up Paint Pen or Touch up Paint w/ Langka. If ne one has used these products please post your experience.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:18 PM
2002 TL-S

99% of dealers have third party companies that come around once a week or so to work on problems like this. They work through the used car lots, and work out out small scratches (on top of the paint) and fill deeper scratches (thru the paint to the metal).

I have had both done in the past, here is what they do (sorry not technical enough for many of you, but here you go):

My wife has a black 99 Accord - someone walked around the back and scratched the back of the trunk lid for about 18 inches with a bag or purse a few months after we bought it. This was not a deep scratch, but quite noticeable and too deep to wax or dry sand out. The person I used basically used an Air-Brush to cover the scratch, then another quick air brush with clearcoat. This was ~4 years ago now, and you absolutely CANNOT tell it was done - even in bright sunlight. Total cost $50.

My 02 TL-S is also black, and purchased used at Carmax. It has a couple of swirls that I didn't like, as well as a couple of small chips on the hood (2 already fixed with touch-up brush paint). I knew from my past experience I could have them fixed, so I bought the car. My local Acura dealer gave me the name of a lady that did their work, and I gave her a call. She wet-sanded out the swirls - GONE. She also has a way to "fill" the chips - she basically fills the chip with paint, and goes over the top to level it out with the rest of the paint. You can BARELY tell anything was done, and this is just because I know where to look - and it looks 50 times better than the brushed touch-ups. Total Cost: $100 (including about an hour of wet sand work).

Give the dealer (or *ANY* decent local dealer a call) - you should be able to find someone similar in your area.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, i gotta look for those guys around here to fix up all the friekin scratches and the keymarks from all the haters .