Handsfree car kit installation (Parrot CK3000)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Handsfree car kit installation (Parrot CK3000)

Three words: I need help! Well, a few more words: I need help installing Parrot CK3000 Car Handsfree Kit (Bluetooth) into a 2003 TL-S.

I just bought the CK3000 from Best Buy. It was $199, and I decided to go for it. Naturally, I wouldn't have to do this if I had an '04 TL, but alas, I drive a 2003 3.2TL-S. Best Buy wanted $150 to install the kit, so I politely asked them to buzz off. "I can do it myself, thank you very much! :thefinger ", I told them, feeling smart and confident.

Then I got home and got started... And realized how lost I am . I can't make heads or tails from the wiring. I spent about two hours online looking for TL wiring instructions, diagrams, etc. -- and found nothing. CK3000 has two main connectors (sort of daisy-chain/passthrough style), one for power and one for speakers. I can find nothing resembling these connectors, so a plug-and-play scenario is not likely. Power I can probably fudge somehow. I did manage to remove an old Nokia hands-free set; that one took power by connecting directly into the fuse box (literally into fuses) for live and 0, and to car body for ground. I guess I could do something similar. But speakers/mute wire thing is beyond me. Plus CK3000 has a "MUTE-IN" wire going from the speaker side of the cable to some place on the power side of the cable. In other words, I'm confused, and absense of any kind-of TL wiring diagrams is not helping.

The questions:

Has anyone installed the CK3000 in a TL?
-What about any kind of hands-free that uses car speakers in the 2nd Gen TL?
-Are there tips, instructions, how-tos out there?
-Where can I find '03 TL wiring diagrams?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Instructor

what kind of wiring diagrams are you looking for?
Old 04-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Something that will help me understand what to connect the kit's connectors to. The diagram in the manual (and on the site) shows the wires I need (like left front speaker, etc.), but I have no idea how to find them.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Advanced

I decided to see what I can find behind the stock radio. I've gotten as far as taking side panels off, removing the armrest box, taking the part out where the heated seat controls are... but I can't take the central piece out (the piece containing the ashtray and the power outlet), and without that I can't take the radio out. Stuck again...
Old 04-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Instructor

You will have to take out the upper panel as well where the heater is. There are also screws on the sides that hold the cd player. Look around, you should find it. By the time you take out the cd player - your car will look pretty bad - REDISKA!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Advanced

Thanks. I actually figured out how to take the radio out. And the car did look pretty bad -- I had panels gone on both side, center console gone, no armrest...

But this didn't help. The harnesses on the back of the CD are completely different from any connectors that came with the CK3000. I am now officially lost. Any ideas?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Instructor

The only thing i can think of is you need to splice the wires at the back of the connectors that go into your headunit...

YOU need to take the connector piece out on both the headunit one and the Parrot one and join them. then put the headunit connector back on. put it back into the head unit. now let's figure out what you need to join and how...
Old 04-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Instructor

power wires you need to jimmy rig into the panel where you have the fuse box
Old 04-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Yup, that's pretty much it. I already had power wires rigged from the fuse box from last installation, so that's not an issue. I have no problem splicing the wires going into the headunit, I just don't know which. Another problem is the mute wire -- I am not sure how to deal with that. Here's the diagram from Parrot:

The stuff that goes into the headunit has like two dozen wires in two non-uniform connectors, so I have no idea which wires I need. CK3000 has wiring for four speakers, the car has more, I don't recall how many. That's probably OK though, as this is for output only -- I'd even be fine if I got output from CK on only two speakers. Now muting is also tricky. They have one mute wire going from the mute cable to the power cable, into one of three wires (orange or blue/red/black). I think it's important that this goes into the power cable that goes to the headunit, so I am not sure it will work with the wires rigged out of the fuse box.

It would really by easier if I had a wiring schematic for either the headunit or the fuse box (it seems to me that a lot of the headunit wiring goes via the fuse box on the right side of the car).
Old 04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Instructor

check this link... it might help... i hope...

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/HA-Wiring.pdf
Old 04-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Advanced

I'm still lost with speaker wires. I did get the power connected, just spliced the wires coming out of the fuse box.

I've found a hole bunch of places detailing wire colors for various speakers, but where do I find them? There is a gazillion wires in the fuse box, and I'd hate to take the headunit out again. Even if I do, there are two dozen wires coming out of there, and the mute would still be a mistery....
Old 04-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Instructor

oh jeez... i am running out of ideas... i don't think i can help you any more... I might find out something on Monday though... be brave...
Old 04-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned

Daaam.... this looks so confusing, but when your done it will be worth every second!! I jsut wanted to give you some motivation .. I really can't offer any more than that on this topic. Sorry.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Guys, I'll post back here as I make progress. Thanks for the ideas! BBZNYC, thanks for the research, those InstallDoctor diagrams are the most useful yet, I may be able to figure something out. A little bit of banging head against the wall hasn't hurt anyone yet :banghead:

BTW, Rediskoy davno ne nazivali, brings back memories
Old 04-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Advanced

By the way, here's what I'm up against... There's more behind the head unit. Why, oh why did I decide to do this myself?? No tunring back now.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Instructor

we will get through this... don't worry...
Old 04-26-2004, 12:42 AM
8th Gear

Talking Another Bluetooth option

I am not sure how the parrot bluetooth system works, but I have installed the Sony Ericson hbh 30 (or something like that) and it works fantastic. A word to the wise though, I actually had the Head unit Mute attached, I have an aftermarket deck, and It got really annoying when ever anything activated the car kit, it would mute the stereo (for example if I start looking for a cell phone number, it would turn on the kit and mute the stereo). It mutes it (at least on the sony ericsson one) any time it connects to the bluetooth. So I had my installer give me the option of turning it on or off.. I can reconnect it anytime I want, but for now I have it off... My stereo has an ATTenator on it, so If I recieve a call i just hit mute and I'm good to go..

So to make along story short, you might now want to hook up that stereo/cellular mute. Or if you can still return the parrot one, the sony works great and there are literally 3 wires you need to hook up, Power. ground, and cellular mute (maybe even only 2) and then the speaker and mic.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Thanks. I am stuck with the Parrot. I am now looking for harnesses I can use. Anyone?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Instructor

ok good news... i will have wiring diagram for you soon - by the end of the day i hope...

it should help 100%
Old 04-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Advanced

I've actually found a bunch. www.the12volt.com is one of the places that has the diagram. I've decided not to cut the factory harness or the connectors on the CK3000, so I found the harnesses I need to put this crap together. So $51 later I am just waiting for them to arrive:

70-1784
71-1784
71-1721
70-1721

Cart Total: $51.55 USD from installer.com

All of these are Metra numbers, I think. The first two are VW harnesses (direct and reverse). Since VW uses ISO connectors, I'll use them to connect to the CK3000. The latter two are Honda connectors (direct and reverse). There are some posts on expansys that say I may loose steering wheel controls if I use 71-1721 and 70-1721, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. There is apparently a 60-1721 T-harness, which is like a combination of the direct and reverse, but no one has it.

So now I'm down to waiting for the harnesses to arrive (hoping this week). I've learned more about my car than I ever wanted to know, that's for sure... :smackhead:
Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Instructor

wow!!! This is no joke! Now you post a DIY on the board, i am sure it will be useful!!!

congrats though.... Udachi!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Thanks, I mean spasibo

I am definitely going to post a DIY once I get the wires. Provided I don't mess up my car beyond repair.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Advanced

It is done!

I have done it! I can now relax and enjoy it :smokin:

The harnesses really helped. Once I got them, it was a piece of cake. The wires on all harnesses are clearly marked, and wire colors match on all of them. I assembled a "super harness" in less than twenty minutes from what I bought. After that, I took the car apart (40 minutes tops as this was a second time), and put everything back together (another 40 minutes). I did loose the steering wheel controls (as some forums warned about 70-1721 harness). The reason is that the acura harness has three additional leads where these harnesses have blanks. It can easily be solved with a couple of wires going directly into the connectors. I was too tired to do that and decided "to hell with the steering wheel controls".

The kit works nicely. Sound on my end is great, and voice control works fairly well. People tell me that the sound on the other end leaves something do be desired. The only annoyance (which is probably specific to my phone, Sony Ericsson T630), voice recognition for number types (i.e. Mobile, Work, Home) is hit-or-miss. I have the same problem using the phone without the handsfree, so that's probably the phone's problem.

I am going to put a DIY together one of these days so all of you can get a laugh out of this somewhat painful experience.

Thanks for support!
Old 05-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Talking congrats..

well... i definetely feel your relief. It is a feeling unlike any other... Another success story...

POZDRAVLYAU!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Professional SLACKER

Deniska,

Congrats on your completion. How's the Parrot? Is it working fine?
I have a question for you in regards to the steering wheels control. Which pin that you need to bypass?
Thank you
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

please explain how to install without loosing steering wheel controls thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

since no one seems to know how to do it, i may just get something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5756205342

looks pretty cool, you get a headset and a car kit
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ferrari527
since no one seems to know how to do it, i may just get something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5756205342

looks pretty cool, you get a headset and a car kit

it woud be nice to find some reviews on that product. I am also looking at installing something similar but I am leaning towards the Sonyericsson HCB 300
Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Deniska
I have done it! I can now relax and enjoy it :smokin:

The harnesses really helped. Once I got them, it was a piece of cake. The wires on all harnesses are clearly marked, and wire colors match on all of them. I assembled a "super harness" in less than twenty minutes from what I bought. After that, I took the car apart (40 minutes tops as this was a second time), and put everything back together (another 40 minutes). I did loose the steering wheel controls (as some forums warned about 70-1721 harness). The reason is that the acura harness has three additional leads where these harnesses have blanks. It can easily be solved with a couple of wires going directly into the connectors. I was too tired to do that and decided "to hell with the steering wheel controls".

The kit works nicely. Sound on my end is great, and voice control works fairly well. People tell me that the sound on the other end leaves something do be desired. The only annoyance (which is probably specific to my phone, Sony Ericsson T630), voice recognition for number types (i.e. Mobile, Work, Home) is hit-or-miss. I have the same problem using the phone without the handsfree, so that's probably the phone's problem.

I am going to put a DIY together one of these days so all of you can get a laugh out of this somewhat painful experience.

Thanks for support!
I realize some time has past since this thread, but do you still have your Parott CK3000? I was looking at the Parrot 3200 LS and have a 02 TL
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

The Parrot 3200 is highly recommended. It is completely plug and play in the TL if you get the matching Acura harness - either the QCHon-1 if you don't have an amp in your TL or the QCHBB-HA if you do have the amp - see www.quickconnectproducts.com