Hand Brake Usage

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hand Brake Usage

Hi all,

My friend was telling me to use my hand brake during park in order to take some pressure off of the gears/wheels (wasn't really paying attention). So I step on the brake after I put the car into park. He then tells me to activate the hand brake before putting my car into park (which is supposed to reduce the jerking motion when releasing the regular brakes). I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

Thanks,

-- Sam
Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
doesnt matter. thiers a parking claw inside the trans that locks onto a gear so the car wont move. on a flat surface or a slight incline it wont matter. now if ur on a steep incline. put it in park with ur foot still on the brake, then apply the ebrake, then let go of the regular brake.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Once you've taken apart an automatic transmission and seen the relatively tiny parking pawl and realize that its the only thing preventing 3,500 lbs of unforgiving mass from rolling away and causing a bunch of havoc, you WILL use the parking brake. Having the parking pin or parking pawl break off in your transmission is great fun, because if either happens, that means a mechanic will have to dismantle the transmission to remove it! We all know how cheap and easy that is! Also leaving it just in park, especially on an incline means the transmission parts will be locked together, causing unnecessary strain. And we all know how strong the TL transmission is!

This is what I do on ALL cars regardless of parking on a perfectly flat surface or not, in this particular order:
  1. Depress brake pedal
  2. Put selector in neutral
  3. Pull/depress parking brake
  4. Let go of foot brake and allow vehicle to settle (should not roll in neutral w/ parking brake applied)
  5. Depress brake pedal, then shift into park

when my mom drives the TL and she parks it on the driveway, she usually never uses the parking brake. Usually its a bit more difficult to get it into gear, and once it engages it makes a loud CLUNK sound that makes me cringe. This even happens to a lesser extent in our flat, level garage. When I do the above method, it is much less harsh or even non-existent. Go ahead and try it on a driveway/hill to see the difference, just make sure no one is behind you.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
just stick it in park and push PARKING BRAKE on- or pull on as applicable

Chances of your actual miniature parking brake shoes being adjusted correctly and able to hold the car on their own,,,not much
If you have worked on a TLs rear brakes you know they are not much
'Other cars use the disc brake to park- we have a mini set of drum brakes inside the rear rotor!

Always use the combo of brake and trans-
parked on hills turn wheel to curb
See owner manual for more details
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
just stick it in park and push PARKING BRAKE on- or pull on as applicable

Chances of your actual miniature parking brake shoes being adjusted correctly and able to hold the car on their own,,,not much
If you have worked on a TLs rear brakes you know they are not much
'Other cars use the disc brake to park- we have a mini set of drum brakes inside the rear rotor!

Always use the combo of brake and trans-
parked on hills turn wheel to curb
See owner manual for more details
Actually it will and does hold very well (and if used often will adjust correctly) The parking brake shoes are much larger than the rear brake pads. You should get in the habit of using this method when parking on a hill.

Come to a stop place car in neutral, apply parking brake slowly release brake to see if its holding then with the preasure on the parking brake put vehicle in park.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-12-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Have not heard of the parking paw break on any car. Been in the business a while and no stories of that happening.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

the word is pawl

Yes the park brakes will hold if properly adjusted thats IF--
AND if the wife isnt in the habit of driving off with them engaged~

Based on the varying info on how to do it- few here have ever done it right- including myself- until the right method was found
Doing it like other cars doesnt work
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to tighten the parking brake? Mines feel kinda loose.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Once you've taken apart an automatic transmission and seen the relatively tiny parking pawl and realize that its the only thing preventing 3,500 lbs of unforgiving mass from rolling away and causing a bunch of havoc, you WILL use the parking brake. Having the parking pin or parking pawl break off in your transmission is great fun, because if either happens, that means a mechanic will have to dismantle the transmission to remove it! We all know how cheap and easy that is! Also leaving it just in park, especially on an incline means the transmission parts will be locked together, causing unnecessary strain. And we all know how strong the TL transmission is!

This is what I do on ALL cars regardless of parking on a perfectly flat surface or not, in this particular order:
  1. Depress brake pedal
  2. Put selector in neutral
  3. Pull/depress parking brake
  4. Let go of foot brake and allow vehicle to settle (should not roll in neutral w/ parking brake applied)
  5. Depress brake pedal, then shift into park

when my mom drives the TL and she parks it on the driveway, she usually never uses the parking brake. Usually its a bit more difficult to get it into gear, and once it engages it makes a loud CLUNK sound that makes me cringe. This even happens to a lesser extent in our flat, level garage. When I do the above method, it is much less harsh or even non-existent. Go ahead and try it on a driveway/hill to see the difference, just make sure no one is behind you.
This is what I do all the time just from habit..I used to drive a manual and the parking break just make sense. And to put less strain on the tranny I always just put the brake on first then put the car into park. Pretty much do anything that can save my tranny. Plus I hate that clunk with a passion and it happens even on the smallest in/declines so I put the parking brake on every time just in case...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Actually it will and does hold very well (and if used often will adjust correctly) The parking brake shoes are much larger than the rear brake pads. You should get in the habit of using this method when parking on a hill.

Come to a stop place car in neutral, apply parking brake slowly release brake to see if its holding then with the preasure on the parking brake put vehicle in park.

Get in this habit!! Better safe than sorry even if the parking paw rarely breaks...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

yes- thats what we have been discussing- the parking brakes must be adjusted correctly in order to work
Adjust same as any drum brakes- a star wheel in the lower section- tighten till they stop the wheel from turning- then back off 6 clicks of the adjuster wheel
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

I think the shifter movement to Park, and my leg to park brake pedal depression is all one motion