GS400 goes down!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle of the Imports was where I learned most about drag racing Im not a fan of domestics simply because american cars scare the **** out of me. The combination of big block and a 20 year old car just dont mix. Ill admit though... Imports are soo far behind when it comes to drag racing...

I cant wait until the day that an import pulls low 5's , high 4's
Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Edr0e
Put it this way... I used to lose all the time to cars that i should beat... I35, E320, 323i's, IS300's, RSX -S, Stock integra GSR's <---these are friends who still think they can smoke me only cuz i didnt know how to drive my car then...

One day I was messing around with my car after I lost to a stock Infiniti I35... I came to realize that SS is slow.... D5 is slow....

So I tried D1 --> D2 ---> D3 gate shifting. It wasnt easy because you dont want to hit the rev limiter. So after a few practice runs I decided to give it another try against the I35.

The first time I raced the I35 in Sport Shift I lost pretty badly...

Its all good though! I came back and beat him gate shifting. You should have seen the look on his face as I was passing him =D 6ooo rpms screaming by him... I couldnt even hear his car.

You wanna hear something funny, my friend thought I added something to make my car faster within the 15 mins that i was gone like octane booster. He kept saying hes running 89 octane BAHAHAHAHA!!!

To this day I cant believe how much faster your car can be if you learn how to drive it.

I was out there getting smoked!!! only cuz i didnt know how to rev to 6400 rpms in first gear and second gear.

Sport shift wont let you rev your motor as high, i noticed only when the car is cold will it go anywhere close to the rev limiter.
There ya go EdrOe!

Gate Shifting is all I use, and I push it right before the revelimiter kick in. About 7,000 on my TLS.

One of the other TLS guys was leaving it in D5 and when I told him this he immediately became a Shift Gate convert.

Just make sure you practice and get real consistent with it because hitting the rev limiter will kill your time.

Also, I hear you about the V8 brutes, the can be a handfull. However, I did see some really tricked Supras that night that would have beaten my 64SS. Man those things were fast. The fastest of the 4 ran a 11.90. WOW. Of course the fastest car out their that night was some guy with a 68 Camaro running 9s.

Ruf
Old 11-26-2002, 12:50 PM

Just to confirm that the driver makes all the difference...

I raced a 03 Maxima (6spd) slightly modded intake, exhaust.
I beat him barely by half a car in my 2000 TL-P.

Then the maxima races a TL-s with CAI. The TL type S loses.

I pull up next to the TYPE S and asked him WTF Is he doing losing to a MAXIMA!!!! He stated that hes sport shifting...

This guy didnt know how to drive his TL-S....

I told him my method of gateshifting, and he came back with a big ol grin on his face.

He was like man! only if I had known gateshifting was taht much faster...
Old 11-26-2002, 02:24 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually use SS if I am racing. So is gate-shifting really faster than SS or is it all in your head? Also is it bad to gate-shift everytime I race?

BTW, I have a 99 TL so I can control the 1st to 2nd shift in SS. So do I still need to gate-shift?
Old 11-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by BlackShadow
I usually use SS if I am racing. So is gate-shifting really faster than SS or is it all in your head? Also is it bad to gate-shift everytime I race?

BTW, I have a 99 TL so I can control the 1st to 2nd shift in SS. So do I still need to gate-shift?
I gate shift to control what RPM I shift at. Plus I like the feel of manually shifting, but I'm tired of using a clutch in day to day driving so I won't go manual for my daily driver any more.

As for is it better? I've don't it all 3 ways and gate shifting has consistently produced the best times.

Ruf
Old 11-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Banned

Please show me a GS400 stock running better times and trap speed than most CL-S AND TL-Ss....
Old 11-27-2002, 02:00 PM

Please show me a GS400 stock running better times and trap speed than most CL-S AND TL-Ss....
Do u read?
Old 11-27-2002, 02:18 PM
BDI
Banned

Why would people gate shift instead of SS...........isn't it the same sh1t??
Old 11-27-2002, 03:36 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Do u read?
LEX 'Ol Buddy!!

There you are. I've been waiting for you to come out and play.

I've even thrown out some bait.

Well, I'm still waiting to run one heads up, but for now I'll have to settle for some decent times for a stock engine TLS.

Ruf
Old 11-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by BDI
Why would people gate shift instead of SS...........isn't it the same sh1t??
Nope, it's not. Just ask anyone whose done both, especially if they are comfortable using the shift gate.

I've tried every which way, timed it every which way and using the shift gate give me the most control and consistently the best times. It also gives me the reaction I want when needing to jump on it quickly.

The guys at the track meet that switched to gate shifting all saw improved times and liked it.

D5,4 or 3 stink for drag racing.

Perhaps for course racing SS works fine, but I've not tried it for that. I'm pretty comfortable using the shift gate method.

Ruf
Old 11-29-2002, 07:52 AM

Ruf, great runs dude. The TL-S is very quick off the line, a slow driver or unsuspecting driver in a GS 400 can lose to the Tl/CL-S? How? I know, my best friend has a CL-S, my GS 400 buds friend has a CL-S 6-speed manual, my best friends sister has a new TL and I've driven the snot outta all of them. It's the driver up to about 80-90mph, then it's all engine from there.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Ruf87

Nope, it's not. Just ask anyone whose done both, especially if they are comfortable using the shift gate.

I've tried every which way, timed it every which way and using the shift gate give me the most control and consistently the best times. It also gives me the reaction I want when needing to jump on it quickly.

The guys at the track meet that switched to gate shifting all saw improved times and liked it.

D5,4 or 3 stink for drag racing.

Perhaps for course racing SS works fine, but I've not tried it for that. I'm pretty comfortable using the shift gate method.

Ruf
I recall reading somewhere that gate shifting is bad for the tranny (compared with using SS). True? Any problems with the tranny?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Edr0e
Battle of the Imports was where I learned most about drag racing Im not a fan of domestics simply because american cars scare the **** out of me. The combination of big block and a 20 year old car just dont mix. Ill admit though... Imports are soo far behind when it comes to drag racing...

I cant wait until the day that an import pulls low 5's , high 4's
That's what happens when guys can't handle raw american power....they get scared and say that american cars suck.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Ruf, great runs dude. The TL-S is very quick off the line, a slow driver or unsuspecting driver in a GS 400 can lose to the Tl/CL-S? How? I know, my best friend has a CL-S, my GS 400 buds friend has a CL-S 6-speed manual, my best friends sister has a new TL and I've driven the snot outta all of them. It's the driver up to about 80-90mph, then it's all engine from there.
Thanks Lex.

Your absolutely correct. If the TLS driver does not execute a really good launch, the TLS does now have the power to catch up, the GS400 will slowly pull away and once the TLS hits 100-110, it's all over but the crying.

Ruf
Old 12-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by patrick

I recall reading somewhere that gate shifting is bad for the tranny (compared with using SS). True? Any problems with the tranny?
Not sure where you read that and why that would be. I've never seen a single post by anyone stating why shift gate shifting is bad.

Also, I have posted several times in response this subject. I've also talked to my service guy and they saw no issue with it.

To top it off, IMO, I will say that if you are going to race or drive it hard, auto mode is the worst and potentially does the most harm.
I did a poll on the CL Forum on tranny failures by shifting styles and Auto mode had over 30% failures. SS mod had just under 20%, and shift gate shifting had zero . . . knock on wood. However, there were only 5 people that used shift gate consistently every day. I'm one of them and only use auto mode when I'm just cruising.

My reasoning is based on my automotive background and older data on not driving in OD for city driving, towing etc. Don't remember all the details as it's been 20+ years since I last read anything. I do recall something about the way power is transfered through the tranny, and that when in OD, the tranny has to make a more abrupt power shift than if you were to leave it in the drive mode (D3) or lower.

I also discussed this with the service manager and they tended to agree with that and said that shiftgate shift will not hurt it. I've been driving mine this way for 20 months now and . . knock on wood, everything is still fine. But I did get my warranty letter in the mail, so it looks like I got a bad one anyway. We'll have to see how long it lasts.

Ruf