Grr, Now My Comptech Springs AND Swaybar Have Snapped

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Grr, Now My Comptech Springs AND Swaybar Have Snapped

so i was minding my own business getting a front-end alignment. and when i pay for the car the guy at the shop tells me my left, rear spring is cracked through. i suspected this from the clunking i was getting but i had hoped it wasn't the case.

so now i guess i'm going to have to get new springs. i figure i might as well do my sways and shocks while i'm in there, but i have to say i am a bit disappointed in comptech. some of you may remember that i had a front comptech swaybar break just 3 inches past the bushing while i was taking a left turn about 2 months ago now. needless to say they refused to replace it since i am not the original owner.

needless to say i don't think i will be putting in new comptech suspension parts. i'm thinking H&R springs (1.75" drop in front) and eibach swaybars. i figured i would go with a monroe type shock to round it out. i'm tossing around the idea of tokico blues but i'm short on cash at this point. any thoughts on this setup?

SSTS
Old 05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried contacting Comptech about these issues??
Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by timmy8151
Have you tried contacting Comptech about these issues??
yeah i put a call out to them today. i am waiting to hear back, although i do not expect a different reaction than last time with the swaybar incident. since i am not the original owner (non-transferrable warranty) and since i do not have any paperwork to authenticate the age of the items i am most likely out of luck.

SSTS
Old 05-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
yeah i put a call out to them today. i am waiting to hear back, although i do not expect a different reaction than last time with the swaybar incident. since i am not the original owner (non-transferrable warranty) and since i do not have any paperwork to authenticate the age of the items i am most likely out of luck.

SSTS
Damn that sucks. I was going to purchase a set of Comptech sways, but am second guessing this decision after all your problems.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by timmy8151
Damn that sucks. I was going to purchase a set of Comptech sways, but am second guessing this decision after all your problems.
well, i haven't heard of other people having the same swaybar issue i did. personally i thought they were good before they broke but i would sooner go with eibach or neuspeed bars. they're a better performing product for the money from my experience with other tl's and these products.

but in all reality, if you had your heart set on them don't let my isolated incident throw you. i, on the other hand, am a little jilted and don't have any desire to give them more money when i can buy better suspension parts elsewhere for nearly the same price. just my .

SSTS
Old 05-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
h&r is far superior to comptech in the suspension components
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
h&r is far superior to comptech in the suspension components
nice. i think it is highly likely that i will go with H&R for my replacement springs. most likely the ones closest to the comptech drop height. i am just debating on what shocks to buy (on a budget) to comeplement the springs now.

SSTS
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
nice. i think it is highly likely that i will go with H&R for my replacement springs. most likely the ones closest to the comptech drop height. i am just debating on what shocks to buy (on a budget) to comeplement the springs now.

SSTS
man I feel you - my driver rear spring is rusted to hell also, but that clunking sound you heard was not because it was broke, but the rubber "cover" piece was probably gone and the spring was hitting itself - because that is what mine is doing and its not broke...yet! I will be getting the HR Sports also and I am still debating on the struts - just trying to get some money first.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 PM
03 TL-S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going for something like the comptechs, look into the Tein H-Tech springs. I have them and they are great (my stock shocks are a different story). Anyways, they ride nice, when tied with Neuspeed sways, the handling is great. Plus 2 winters and 45K and they are still nice looking.