Got Some Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Some Questions...

Finally, my family is about to get a Acura TL. Most likely a TL-S tomorrow...

Went to a Acura dealership today and they approved my dad's credit...Is it a smart or bad idea to go through the Honda bank or better for another bank? The salesman was talking about having a interest rate of 5.9 which doesn't seem bad at all, could be better but not bad...

As for the car, the one I'm pushing on my dad is a 02 TL-S listed at about $24,000 with 44,6xx miles on it. WAY high, the salesman said he'd let pretty much any TL-S in the lot go for $19,000-$19,500. It's a black/black non-navi spoiler with tints, VERY sharp looking car, I've had my eye on it before it even got on the lot (I saw sitting in a lot waiting to get pre-certified). Online I see it listed for $22,395...I already started nagging him about the car having tranny problems so I'm confident some serious price dropping can be done to take away from the sticker price...You guys have any suggestions, ideas, etc?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I just purchased my TL-s last week and after looking everywhere around town I ended up buying my car from Budget car sales in dallas. They are doing a piolet program selling Acura, Bmw, Mercedes and Audi they are all off lease cars in what seems to be great condition. http://budgetcarsalesdallas.com/inventory.htm to look at there inventory. I bought the White TL-s on that list with body kit and spoiler they have a black type S for 17,900 with 38,000. I have to say it was the best car buying experiance that I have ever had. I bought the car on Friday and it was at my house on weds. by 10 am and shipping was 600 to Ft Lauderdale florida I am sure it will be cheaper to where you are. If you do call to find out any information ask for John and tell him Brad sent you... hope everything works out well no matter what car you go with.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

... P.S. The thing that worried me the most about buying from them was that its a rental car company but they will fax you a car fax of the car and they are all lease returns and not rentals.. ( luxary cars at least ) because we all know how well people take care of rentals.. my mom will even do 20 foot burnouts in a rental. ...
Old 03-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

Originally Posted by quad150db
its a rental car company but they will fax you a car fax of the car and they are all lease returns and not rentals
be careful...i think lease and rental cars are classified as "lease/rental/fleet records" (one catagory) on carfax or autocheck...so, even tho the seller may say lease, it still could've been a rental....
Old 03-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

After pulling a car fax it listed where the car was register and I did a public record search and was able to find the orininal owner who lived only about 20 miles from my house and it was a personal lease..

Acura from what I have heard holds alot of there off lease auctions in the Dallas area.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I noticed that the other day on autotrader...Was kinda skeptical but that's some very interesting information. I like the protective feeling I get buying from a Acura dealership, but I can never forget that it's a Factory warranty which is very helpful...Depending on how things go if we go tomorrow, may have a warranty on every part of the car up till 100,000miles along with the powertrain warranty...

Any of you guys have a clue on how low you would buy the car for? Some of the prices seem obsurd in comparison to others.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

Originally Posted by quad150db
Acura from what I have heard holds alot of there off lease auctions in the Dallas area.

yes that's true...my 01 TL came out of New Jersey from a one-owner lease, sold at a dealer auction in Dallas, and then I bought her off ebay from the dealer that bought it from the Dallas auction...
Old 03-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I just bought the car and LOVE it I am amazed at the condition of this car. I am VERY picky yet cannot find a flaw hell it still has new car smell and if someone gets in the car other then the miles on the car they would think it was brand new. I was very sceptical about buying it without seeing it if you want more peice of mind you can use http://www.inspectionsolution.com they will go out and do a full inspection of the car and send back a report of any problems they find as well as photos. Also the thing that made me feel ok about it was that it is still covered under full factory warrenty and hell if you save 2 grand over an acura dealer then spend that 1300.00 and get a full 100,000 mile warrenty from acura
Old 03-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Did you pay the exact price listed?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Instructor

by the way, credit unions offer the lowest interest rate for car loans and cheaper warranty programs. check them out.

however, if you go through with Honda financing, you can negotiate a better deal on the vehicle. there are many more 2g TLs on the market to choose since the 3gs came out and transmission recalls.

my advice is don't be too quick on your purchase. get the best deal and if not, walk away !
Old 03-05-2005, 01:44 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.9% is GREAT. Can be better but its good. 19-19,500 is a good price. some 00's go for that price. Do your homework and once you buy it dont look at any other prices youll give yourself uneeded pain.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the little bit of advice, on the way to the dealership now, wish us luck
Old 03-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Advanced

OK, gotta few days to sit on this (Monday). Basically the jerk dealer thinks that my dad isn't worth selling a TL-S because he could probably find some richer guys to buy the car for way more than it's worth.

He did put my dad on a 02 TL with 41,000 miles and he's willing to let it go for $18,500 which makes the car worth $20,000 when taxes and what not are done. This means the car would be warranted for 21,000 miles and the power train for 59,000 miles. I REALLY need you guy's helps and suggestions. My parents want to take that 5.9 APR but I guess that means they'd HAVE to get the car from Acura since Honda USA seems to be the only place offering that low for my dad's credit.

My dad is a free lance worked so he's part of no union...
Old 03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, if the TL-S is what you want, get the TL-S. You will forever doubt yourself. Dealerships love to play games to eek out another $100 here, $500 there. Just be patient (if you can).

If you show them the money, and they still let you walk - > do it. Case in point: I was helping my friend buy a Celica GTS back in '99. Because I was not emotionally attached to the car like he was, when we put our offer forward (about $300 above invoice - this was during the Bay Area dot com bubble so cars weren't as cheap at the time) and started getting the runaround, I stood up, grabbed my friend on the shoulder and led him out the door. After about 30 seconds of walking to the car the salesman came running after us. I told him the trouble of insulting us and making us start walking to car was going to cost them another $300 to sell the car. Needless to say, we didn't drive home together....and my friend was happy in his new GTS.

The point of the above rambling is that dealerships know they have the emotional card on you. If you REALLY want the car, (and they know you do), they aren't going to budge as much. As soon as you show you "don't care" they change their posture very quickly because they know there are other dealerships willing to make the sales.

Good luck. I don't envy your position. Go kick some dealership a$$.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I did my car loan with capital one auto finance I applied online and the check was at my door the next day. my apr was 6.96 not great but not bad.. it made it so much easier to be able to just write a check for the car and not have to worry about getting finianced at the dealer..
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Instructor

The dealer does not think that your dad is worth selling a TL-S to is an insult and a slap in the face. Find another dealer to bargain. Don't forget the treatment you receive now will be the same at service time.

Or, take an independent loan from a S&L, credit union, credit institutions eg. capital one, mbna etc. and purchase the vehicle from a private party.

its sad that a dealership is letting a customer go...if it was a vehicle in high demand like the introduction of 3g TL. There are plenty of supply so don't sweat it. EOBRIan is right, don't let your emotions affect your buying decisions....

hope all goes well.....
Old 03-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Advanced

We are going to other dealerships today to see if we can pull off a better deal...Hopefully we can, I have one more question though...

Do you think the extra 12,000 miles with a certified pre-owned Acura is worth it?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Advanced

mmk, not gettin much help here, but to update you guys, we decided to let the deal go we figured we could do better sooo we're still searching, if any of you guys know of some deals or have any suggestions I'm still all ears, thanks