Got smoked by an X5 4.4i!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got smoked by an X5 4.4i!

Well, he or she didn't really smoke me... but it happened on Southern State Parkway, when I was cruising at around 75, 80 and I see this BMW X5 coming up fast on my right and suddenly blew me by. He was going at least 100 and I wanted to teach that SUV a lesson or two... and tried to keep up. It was around 12:30AM, and there was no traffic. I totally floored the gas and finally caught up to him. I was probably going around 120 and I still couldn't pass him by. I was probably 2-3 car length behind him at this point. I was hitting 135 mark and I was still at the same spot; could not pass him!!!!!!! :wow: I was so shocked. I can't even beat an SUV??? I shut it at this point because my exit was near... but I felt REALLY bad. Now I finally know that TL-S is not as "almighty" as I thought it was. After all, it's still a BMW...
Old 04-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Got smoked by an X5 4.4i!

Originally posted by SpoonPower78
Well, he or she didn't really smoke me... but it happened on Southern State Parkway, when I was cruising at around 75, 80 and I see this BMW X5 coming up fast on my right and suddenly blew me by. He was going at least 100 and I wanted to teach that SUV a lesson or two... and tried to keep up. It was around 12:30AM, and there was no traffic. I totally floored the gas and finally caught up to him. I was probably going around 120 and I still couldn't pass him by. I was probably 2-3 car length behind him at this point. I was hitting 135 mark and I was still at the same spot; could not pass him!!!!!!! :wow: I was so shocked. I can't even beat an SUV??? I shut it at this point because my exit was near... but I felt REALLY bad. Now I finally know that TL-S is not as "almighty" as I thought it was. After all, it's still a BMW...
Dude, you have no idea what you were messing with. The X5 with the V8 engine really cooks!
Old 04-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro

Interesting. Were you in SS or just punched it? It makes a difference. A few months ago, I was in a similar situation with an X5 and I smoked him. This dude thinks just because he drives a BMW that he's the king of the road. So, I taught him a lesson. I was on the fast lane driving down on Kennedy. A moment ago, I already noticed the X5 weaving in and out of traffic but I didn't bother with him minding my own business driving in the left lane. As I get closer to him, he suddenly cut in front of me without signalling (I guess he didn't get the turning signal option for his bimmer). So I flashed him. He then proceeded to piss me off even more by slamming on his brakes. So I switched over to the right and dropped it down to 4th, then 3rd. Pulled up next to him, took a quick glance at him as he just smiled. I didn't get pissed off though, I just smiled back and cut in front of him. Didn't slam on my brakes though. His POS SUV then "sways" to the right and punched it. We were going about 75 at this point. So, I pulled out my can opener and getting ready to serve him a fresh can of whoppa$$. I punched it and as the sweet sound of my VTEC complimented by my exhaust and headers fades in front of his eyes, all he can do is flash me with his brights. Damn, his light beam was faster than me. After I slowed back down, he didn't come up anymore. His was a 4.4 as well.

axleback
Old 04-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Got smoked by an X5 4.4i!

Originally posted by thephantom

Dude, you have no idea what you were messing with. The X5 with the V8 engine really cooks!
Yeah, they really cook. I agree. But think about their weight though. It's over 1000lbs heavier than our TL-S. I never like racing with SUVs in general just because they are not worth my time, but if they piss me off, I'm gonna smoke'em...safely of course. Once in awhile, you'll run into a few SUVs that think they are almighty and will go nuts to tailgate you. When I see lunatics like that, I just back off and let them waste all the gas they want. Besides, if you keep them punching it too long, they'll have to exit for refueling.

axleback
Old 04-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Drifting

X5 3.0 0-60 in 9.1s/8.5s auto/manual
X5 4.4 0-60 in 7.9s

ooh aah
all that and less cargo room than a mazda P5

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Heraud/BMW/X5/2002S.asp
Old 04-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Remember, we have no top end, 4th and 5th are overdrive gears. By the way, if it were the 4.6 then you would definitely have no chance. 0-60 in 6.2.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Heh, just be happy it wasn't the 4.6is. He woulda smoked your ass.

I hate mag racing but 0-60 in 6.2 secs according to MT.
That ****er comes with 20s.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't say no chance, after all the TLS is supposed to be 6.2 in best case scenarios as well.

When we're talking about top speed, it comes down to limiters more than anything else.

But if you want a fast car with cargo room, the X5 isn't it.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by axleback

Interesting. Were you in SS or just punched it? axleback
I just punched it. Personally, I don't think it makes a difference.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Got smoked by an X5 4.4i!

Sorry to hear about the lose!! Next time try SS mode. It will help ya gain a little bit more.

Where in Floral Park are you. I live there too!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's suprising how much of a difference it makes sometimes. If
left in just auto mode at certain speeds it won't downshift to 3rd.
And it shifts very early from 3rd. Not corvette killing difference
but a tiny bit that might have helped is this situation.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:39 PM
Banned

I've got a friend whose dad owns a X5 4.4... the thing stock would hold with our cars. However, he dropped a supercharger in there and increased the revs. Well, now he races his son's 540i
Old 04-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mantis23
Heh, just be happy it wasn't the 4.6is. He woulda smoked your ass.

I hate mag racing but 0-60 in 6.2 secs according to MT.
That ****er comes with 20s.
and rolling on 20's!! :wow:
Old 04-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I can't even beat an SUV??? I shut it at this point because my exit was near... but I felt REALLY bad. Now I finally know that TL-S is not as "almighty" as I thought it was. After all, it's still a BMW...
What's the matter dude, you can't drive? I've raced and beaten an X5 4.4 at least twice! I regularly drive the 4.4 ... they are real fast but hardly any competition for a TLS

Also driven the 4.6is which I must say feels as fast or maybe even a bit faster than the TLS.

Stop eulogizing the X5 just because its a BMW...
Old 04-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 4.6 and that 4.4 would have no chance.

..how come my sig doesn't show up?
Old 04-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Racer

As I stated in replies on other threads, BMW simply rules..I know I wouldn't mess with any BMW with a V8, even if it's their SUV..Our TLS is a very competant car, but nothing compares to the performance and handling of a well tuned BMW V8 car or SUV.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by thejavagod

What's the matter dude, you can't drive? I've raced and beaten an X5 4.4 at least twice! I regularly drive the 4.4 ... they are real fast but hardly any competition for a TLS

Also driven the 4.6is which I must say feels as fast or maybe even a bit faster than the TLS.

Stop eulogizing the X5 just because its a BMW...
Well, I don't know if anybody's "driving skill" would have helped in this situation. I don't know how many X5 4.4is you've smoked but were you going near 140mph like I was? My gas pedal was FLOORED hard to the metal and I simply could not catch up to that X5. Of course, he/she couldn't lose me either, but the point is X5 is an SUV, and I didn't know any SUV could go that fast. :wow:
Old 04-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Pro

man..u guys got some whack ass kill/loss race stories..how was that a race? u were just tryin to catch up and though u would pass it right? its not like u guys started at the same time or nething.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know how many X5 4.4is you've smoked but were you
Not the 4.6is..... but certainly the 4.4i. Admitted, the 4.4i is still really fast and definitely an amazing vehicle if you can overlook its extremely poor reliability record - which of course, cannot be ignored...so in my opinion it is nothing but a big scrap of JUNK!

going near 140mph like I was? My gas pedal was FLOORED hard

BMW X5 4.4i can't even reach 140.... top speed is 130 mph. While the TLS has a top speed of 149 mph...you could not have had the pedal to the metal and still have him surge ahead of you.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:07 PM
9th Gear

The only BMWs faster then me are the Ms

Hey guys!!

Have any of ya done upgrades to your cars? The upgrades that I've done to mine has it upto 295hp(acording to Comptech techs)

The only BMWs smoking me are the M3s and M5s may be the M roadster but Ive not raced one so far. As far as the 4.6 It's alot heavier that our cars so it doesnt stand a chance from get go. migth keep up for a while already rolling but not for long. and the 540i 6 speed it has crazzzzzy torque which we all know that that is what moves a car from the start line but once going its not getting away from me

4.4L 290 hp V8

Horsepower 290 @ 5400 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 324 @ 3600 RPM
Displacement (cc) 4398
Turbo/Supercharger No
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.62 X 3.26
Compression Ratio 10
MSN auto section.
PS I raced a TT quatro 225 roadster, does thing are quick but by the time he was going around 85 I flew by him at 105, no chance baby. It was a drag race not already rolling.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:34 PM
Racer

Car & Driver this month.. the 350 hp 350 T BMW X5 does a quarter in 15.1. Car & Driver states the TLs is 14.8.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Racer

Originally posted by hemants
X5 4.4 0-60 in 7.9s
ooh aah

Actually, according to MT's long term test, X5 4.4i does 6.7 0 to 60. Pretty damn quick for a truck I'd say. :wow:
Old 04-13-2002, 02:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually, according to MT's long term test, X5 4.4i does 6.7 0 to 60. Pretty damn quick for a truck I'd say. :wow:
Sure is...but...

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo is estimated to do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds...but the best part is that it is a real SUV that supposedly goes places a BMW X5 will only dream about :wow:
Old 04-13-2002, 06:30 AM
Instructor

..comment--
my parents have an X5 4.4.. and it hauls ass... since my car was in the shop.. i was able to take it to austin.. and it's got that V8 power..

simply incredible.. i had no trouble accelerating at the higher speeds..and even at 115.. it was solid as a rock... really suprising if u ask me.

with the Tl-S I have to hit that vtec to get the power I need, where as the V8 just pulls and pulls. .. i dunno... u'd be suprised.. i've never raced one car against the other... but i'd be scared that I might lose to the SUV.. =/.. go figure.. (atleast at higher speeds.. zipping around town in the TL-S is fun.. up until 3rd gear.)

oh..btw..can u believe some focker was highbeaming me and chasing around teh blocks? i finally slowed down..and put on my hazards..the B!tchass just turned stopped..and then turned behind me.. I wanted to talk to that mofo..WHOEVER he was.

-jyang411
p.s. i can't stand my squeaks!.. they're driving me nuts!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:47 AM
AC
Drifting

SpoonPower, being an owner of an X5 4.41 SP I understand where you're coming from. For a truck the thing hauls a$$. I don't know about any 0-60 times on my X5. I've seen 6.7, 7.1, and for the first time today 7.9 someone posted. I don't know how fast my truck is. Never raced a TLS, but beat a TL off the line, and once going from 90+. If the X5 is already at 100mph and you're trying to catch him...you won't. Mainly due to your $hitty 4th gear.

Javagod, you're correct that the X5 4.4 tops out at 130, but you also failed to mention that the SP tops out at 155 in which SpoonPower probably went up against. I would argue pretty strongly about being a big scrap of junk, but that's your opinion since everyone in the forum knows you 'hate" BMW in general.

Forgot who mentioned it about a 540 and it not being able to get away once moving...sorry, once moving a 540 will hand you a nice a$$ whoopin...yeah even if you have Headers, Intake, Exhaust...with NOS you'll probably keep up and edge it.

Who the hell makes a Supercharger kit for the X5 4.4? NOt Dinan nor ESS...ask your buddy cuz I think he's lying to you.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
see, you people need to realize to stop understimating BMW's power. most of you already know this but for those who dont, BMW slaps REALLY BIG engines in the exact same vehicle that could have had the smaller,cheaper engines. And the only telltale difference is the little model number tag on the back. That X5 with a v8 has nearly a whopping ONE HUNDRED more lbs of torque than you have. thats what keeps u going at the high end, not just at the takeoff. while you're pulling on overdrive, he's pulling on real power! as one of my friends once said, there's just simply no replacement for displacement (in most cases at least and assuming equal technology laden engines).

true, you might have your issues about the X5 not being able to go off road, or crappy quality, slower 0-60, or whatever! it wasn't really the original point of the thread, was it? So no, spoonpower, it wasn't your lack of skill in driving, just remember to pick the fights with the 'right' bmws. Pick on an engine your own size. Make sure that next X5 says 3.0i
Old 04-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I tangled up with a very aggressive X5 on I-75 the other day. I was cruising at 80mph when he appeared from behind and quickly closed in on my 6. I then showed him what my new tranny could do. Then I got caught up in traffic and did not feel like endangering anyone, but the X5 with his HIDs ablaze went on aggressively slicing through the traffic.

I find that BMW's HIDs are poorly focused, they shine all over the place.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by AC
strongly about being a big scrap of junk, but that's your opinion since everyone in the forum knows you 'hate" BMW in
Not really...I love BMWs, my ex gf had a 330ci that I still think is among the best handling cars I've driven.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Banned

I had a Mercedes ML 55 try to race me once. We started at about 30 and went up to 90. It was neck and neck the WHOLE way. I had a tiny bit on him in the end but not much. My mom just got an X5 4.4 last week and that thing hauls balls. I have definitely decided that my next ride is going to be a pimp SUV with a big asss engine. Hope I can afford it. Ive always hated suvs because the ride sucks. But with all of the new luxo suvs, the problem seems to be solved.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:52 PM
O.G.

Remember that once a V8 gets going, it is going to be really hard to try to catch up to it.

The 4.4 is no joke and once it was already rolling, you had no chance of catching up to it as you found out first hand due to its V8. Don't even bother with the new 4.6!:wow:

Stick to the 3.0 and walk all over them.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

we'll beat em off the line, but at high speeds a v6s cant take on its 8....
Old 04-14-2002, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by hemants
X5 4.4 0-60 in 7.9s

ooh aah

Uhhhh, where the hell did you get that totally wrong 0-60 time fo the X5 4.4? That's off by over a second.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lucky Devin

Uhhhh, where the hell did you get that totally wrong 0-60 time fo the X5 4.4? That's off by over a second.
I believe 0-60 for the X5 4.4i is 7.5 seconds, Acura MDX does it in 8.4 seconds... not far behind that "mighty" V8
Old 04-14-2002, 07:10 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by thejavagod

I believe 0-60 for the X5 4.4i is 7.5 seconds, Acura MDX does it in 8.4 seconds... not far behind that "mighty" V8
I have to agree to a point...I don't know if the X5 4.4 trully is capable of 0-60 in 6.7 sec. IMO that's a bit optimistic.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by FLAcuraTLS
As I stated in replies on other threads, BMW simply rules..I know I wouldn't mess with any BMW with a V8, even if it's their SUV..Our TLS is a very competant car, but nothing compares to the performance and handling of a well tuned BMW V8 car or SUV.
LoLz! You make it sound like BMW is god or something. My dad has a BMW x5 4.4i and a 740iL and trust me he beats me, but I don't care. What's the point of having expensive and fast BMW's when they are always in the shop. I used to own a 323ci and it had too many electrical problems to list, my fiance had a x5 3.0i that caught on fire, my dad asks me for rides two times out of the month because somethng is always wrong with his cars.... So you tell me.... Does BMW just simply rule?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: The only BMWs faster then me are the Ms

Originally posted by 2fast
Hey guys!!

Have any of ya done upgrades to your cars? The upgrades that I've done to mine has it upto 295hp(acording to Comptech techs)

The only BMWs smoking me are the M3s and M5s may be the M roadster but Ive not raced one so far. As far as the 4.6 It's alot heavier that our cars so it doesnt stand a chance from get go. migth keep up for a while already rolling but not for long. and the 540i 6 speed it has crazzzzzy torque which we all know that that is what moves a car from the start line but once going its not getting away from me

Hey newb... trust me, you are not going to catch a moving 540i, especially a 6-speed. Why? Well they have alot, alot more torque than we do and it's a v-8. It's made for high speeds. Trust me our cars with headers, cai, etc sohc v-6 cannot keep up with the six-speed bahn stormer... if you can, well record it and show us...
Old 04-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Re: The only BMWs faster then me are the Ms

Originally posted by 2fast
Hey guys!!

4.4L 290 hp V8

Horsepower 290 @ 5400 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 324 @ 3600 RPM
Displacement (cc) 4398
Turbo/Supercharger No
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.62 X 3.26
Compression Ratio 10
MSN auto section.
PS I raced a TT quatro 225 roadster, does thing are quick but by the time he was going around 85 I flew by him at 105, no chance baby. It was a drag race not already rolling.

Dude, I used to have modded TL. Anytime you want to race me in either the 330Ci or the 540i let me know. I have beat modded TLs and TL-Ss in the 540 like they were standing still.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Drifting

"Uhhhh, where the hell did you get that totally wrong 0-60 time fo the X5 4.4? That's off by over a second."

Um, hello, I posted the link.

AFAIK 6.7 seconds is the time for the 4.6si, not the 4.4.

Here is a BMW Source that claims 7.5 seconds for the 4.4

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/x5.htm

Anyhow, who cares. I can't get over the fact that a WRX wagon has more cargo room than the X5. Unless you're towing a 30 foot yacht, the X5 is the marketing of an image IMHO.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:28 PM
AC
Drifting

Re: Re: The only BMWs faster then me are the Ms

Originally posted by Stylin Silver Sled

Dude, I used to have modded TL. Anytime you want to race me in either the 330Ci or the 540i let me know. I have beat modded TLs and TL-Ss in the 540 like they were standing still.
LOL...

When you don't get it, you just don't get it.