got rear ended-- need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 11:06 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
got rear ended-- need help

ok yesturday i was driving on NJ turnpike from NY. near exit 8 where the lane merges, there was a traffic jam. so ne ways i was stationary for about 10 seconds and i notice this guy on a motorcycle and he was going about 25 mph comming up on me....i like this guy is not slowing down, he had his head turned towards the back of him while riding forward. so he slams into the back of my car and he flipped over his bike. I got out of the car and there was a paint that got scraped off. so i said to the guy ,"ok no biggie" and we didnt called the cops or ne thing . we just exchanged information and he dont have his insurance card with him. so i said ok i will call u and figure out how to work this out. later i got home and notice that the rear body kit was caved in and the bumber is scrapped up and has a dent in it. so i called the guy up and how he is denying everything. I said look, u hit me and u need to pay for it,. he said "that sh*t was already there and hes not gonna do crap". Im like wtf i just save this guys a$$ from gettitng 2 tickets and now he is denying everything..

so what should i do now? Am i screwed? need help
thanx
stan
Old 07-01-2002, 12:18 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to say but you are pretty much screwed. If there are no witnesses, then it's his words against yours and it's hard to prove that he hit you. You should've gotten his info right there and then or just call the cops right away when it happened.

Next time, never ever trust any strangers!!!
Old 07-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

blackshadow...

well i did have 3 other people in my car to witness this but i dunno if that helps. can i file a complaint against him?

thanx
stan
Old 07-01-2002, 01:51 AM
O.G.

Originally posted by MotionEffects
blackshadow...

well i did have 3 other people in my car to witness this but i dunno if that helps. can i file a complaint against him?

thanx
stan
Well since you do have witnesses, give it a shot. File a complaint against him and let the cops take over from there. Then give the cops the guy's # and ask them to track him down.

The point is, it doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck and do it ASAP!!!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i was you id go to the cops and tell em what happened...you have his info right ??...... and im sure u didnt get it out of the blue and im sure his bike has some damage as well...do it fast thou
Old 07-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your screwed. ALWAYS get a police report if there is an accident. Let me repeat....ALWAYS GET A POLICE REPORT!!! Getting a report doesn't mean you have to go through insurance (unless the damage is over 2k, then it gets reported to the state).

Now its pretty much his word against yours even with the witnesses in your car.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:10 AM
jr
Instructor

thats what you get for being a "nice guy" Its hard to be a nice person in the world today because people suck !!
if the cops dont help you out, you know where he lives right....
I think you know what I am tying to say .:devil:
Old 07-01-2002, 10:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
Your screwed. ALWAYS get a police report if there is an accident. Let me repeat....ALWAYS GET A POLICE REPORT!!! Getting a report doesn't mean you have to go through insurance (unless the damage is over 2k, then it gets reported to the state).

Now its pretty much his word against yours even with the witnesses in your car.
While it definitely makes sense to do so, the "problem" is that in some jurisdictions, the police won't take a report unless there is more than X dollars in property damage (in CA I believe it's $250, or was it $500?) or if there are injuries to anyone involved in the accident. I know this to be a common procedure, as when I t-boned an M3 last year on a city street, the CHP officer who witnessed the whole thing would not take a report because: a) it didn't happen outside a local municipality (meaning, a city where local police have primary jurisdiction); b) no one claimed injury of any kind; c) even though both cars clearly sustained more than $500 worth of damage, the CHP officer was willing to let both of us sort out the insurance issues amongst ourselves. In many situations where there is very minimal damage and no injuries, this can be a benefit to both parties, if both parties are mutually trusting of each other, since sometimes it is better not to get insurance companies involved and/or you don't want a police report which may determine who may be at fault. Unfortunately, in MotionEffects case, the MC guy flat out screwed him over (if what MotionEffects said is correct).

Tony
Old 07-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

ok i just spoke to an officer and he said that i have to file a motor vehical complaint. Than the court will write him a ticket for careless driving and a court date. So i guess i can discuss this to the judge.

BTW
thanx for the people who replied to this. I love this board
stan
Old 07-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

So the moral of the story is:

1. Don't trust the MoFo that hits you to give you his Driver's License and insurance info "later." Get it now.

2. Call the Police and walk with a limp when they get there. Moan loudly until you see the cop write up a report.

3. Carry a "throw-away" camera and photograph everything "right now!" (I threw that one in for free. )

Later,

V.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vperkins2
2. Call the Police and walk with a limp when they get there. Moan loudly until you see the cop write up a report.
Ah, so you're suggesting insurance fraud? No wonder my insurance rates went up...
Old 07-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Even in a minor collision like that get the cops involved ASAP. Though it may not look bad at first, there can be major damage to the car where u cant see, just like what u found out when u looked closer. heres some tips.

1. Always get the cops involved no matter what.
2. Never except money from the guy. Even if he give $1,000 dollars, that may not be enough, and he could turn the tables and get you introuble.
3. Always carry a disposable camera in the car. Get picture of EVERYTHING. Both vehicles, drivers, witness, liscense plates, & road conditions(raining, sunny....).
4. Always carry paper to right down name, address, phnoe number, and any other major way to identify the guy who hit u or u hit and witnesses.
5. Keep you cool no matter how mad or pissed you are. It shows up in court that u were more civilazied dealing with the situdation.

*Witness are always good if its not ur fault.
*Don't get someone "rich" to pick you up. If you hit a guy in your TL, he may be fine, but when your dads comes to pick up/help you in his new Mercedes-Benz the guy might suddenly devolpe whiplash. It happened to me several times, it amazing what ppl will do for money.

Trust me, I have been in several accidents( Once in my bro's old Yukon, 2x in a Friends Esclade) The one with the Esclade is only 17 and shes been in two accidents already, I was in a major one with them (7 grand in damages, not her fault) and her mom was a Insurance Investagator, so this is where I learned most of my stuff. She said, most judges look at what u did and realize that you knew what to do and either will reward you if ur not at fault or lighten his ruling on you. And if you ever get an SUV, get a brush guard, it can save ur life and ur car from being totaled.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Originally posted by tdoh

Ah, so you're suggesting insurance fraud? No wonder my insurance rates went up...
Nah, I was just responding to your post about the cop not writing things up because no injuries were apparant.

V.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

1. Always get the cops involved no matter what.
2. Never except money from the guy. Even if he give $1,000 dollars, that may not be enough, and he could turn the tables and get you introuble.
3. Always carry a disposable camera in the car. Get picture of EVERYTHING. Both vehicles, drivers, witness, liscense plates, & road conditions(raining, sunny....).
4. Always carry paper to right down name, address, phnoe number, and any other major way to identify the guy who hit u or u hit and witnesses.
5. Keep you cool no matter how mad or pissed you are. It shows up in court that u were more civilazied dealing with the situdation.

*Witness are always good if its not ur fault.
*Don't get someone "rich" to pick you up. If you hit a guy in your TL, he may be fine, but when your dads comes to pick up/help you in his new Mercedes-Benz the guy might suddenly devolpe whiplash. It happened to me several times, it amazing what ppl will do for money.
thanx Beason

These are the steps i need to remmeber
oh i am filing a charge against him for careless driving and he will have to show up in court. there i can explain my case to the judge and hoping to get my bumper fixed[QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2002, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

a person who doesnt carry their insurance info with them is someone to be weary of