got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy got rear ended

well i was driving home from work yesterday around 8am on 295. it was pretty much stop and go for a while. i was slowing down with traffic and i heard a loud screech of tires sqeelin then heard a loud bang. looked in my rearview mirror and BAM i get strangled by my seatbelt turns out some airhead lady on her cellphone hit the gas and dint stop and slammed into a nice looking 98 integra behind me and pushed him into me. long story short my cars pretty much fine exsept the paint is pretty smeared and messed up and a 2 dents where his car hit mine. his car looks totaled. everyone was fine, i just got the crap scared outa me. so i spent all day talking to my insurence company and hers(since it was her fault.) so it was an exsperience and i finaly get my bumper painted (it needed it anyway )
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh. That stinks.

Are you totally OK from the impact? Sometimes back and neck problems won't surface until a couple of days have passed. So take it easy and keep an eye on that.

Best of luck with the repairs. Take some time to find a good body shop. You might want to check with your local Acura dealer for recommendations. A bad paint job can make your whole car look lousy.

Bob
Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
that sucks........for the the lady but now you get a new paint job.......nows the time to pick up a kit and have the shop put the bill to the insurance........and you get a rental as well........have fun ragging on it......
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
And people ask why I am such a fanatic on great brakes

If the first person had better brakes it probably all could have been avoided
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
TLingggggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

Talk about brakes, I had squishy soft brakes for a year plus until finally after spending tons of $$ and getting ripped off at the dealer cuz they were either too lazy or too stupid to diagnose a brake problem that the mechanic I usually went to did. So yeah I really did emphasis the brake problem alot since I had to step the pedal all the way down to stop and think about what happens in an emergency stop . Had to drive like that for a year.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on how fast you're going and when you start to brake. At some point you just don't have enough road to stop.

Great brakes are always a plus but they can't always overcome a driver that is not paying attention.

The bigger lesson here is for drivers to keep their !@#$% eyes on the road. I'm sure that the number of "cellphone distraction" accidients has gone through the roof now that everyone seems to have cells.

Bob
Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced

yea, my girl got rear-ended almost a year ago, I wouldnt take any money if they offered it to you unti`after you know that you are fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
how ironic...look at prankster's avatar. hope you're okay.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
08 Civic SI

Originally Posted by snowman81
how ironic...look at prankster's avatar. hope you're okay.
haha, oh the irony. it was very obvious when the cop got there what had happend considering there was only one set of skid marks and they where hers. im just taking it easy, i think it scared me more than it hurt me but i wanna be sure.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Glad you're ok. Depending on how fast she was going when she hit you, you might feel ok for now, but aches sometimes don't show up until after a couple of days. Don't rush into settling the claim. You wouldn't want to settle, then find out you have soreness mild whiplash later -- don't be stuck paying your own medical bills when it's not your fault. I'm not saying "screw the other insurance company" either.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

SHit, good thing you're okay.. I was scared shitless for you there the minute I logged on and saw your thread title. At least you get a free repainted bumper
Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Damn sucks man. Good to hear it was just a scare and not a total. I got in an accident 2 years ago and now I'm starting to feel signs of backpain. Just take it easy for the next few days man. Hope everythings all good.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced

sorry to hear about the accident... same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago (rear ended) except there were only two cars involved ...the Yukon that hit me and my poor TL... the bright side was that I got it fixed really fast (2 weeks) and it looks better then before because the bumper had some scratches on it and the 1/4 panel had two dots of touch up on it and now its all brand new... the shop buffed and waxed the entire car its like brand new!!! im so happy! you'll smile once you see a freshly painted brand new bumper on the back of your TL

before

after
Old 03-21-2007, 07:13 AM
08 Civic SI

Originally Posted by honda_motor_co_4life
sorry to hear about the accident... same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago (rear ended) except there were only two cars involved ...the Yukon that hit me and my poor TL... the bright side was that I got it fixed really fast (2 weeks) and it looks better then before because the bumper had some scratches on it and the 1/4 panel had two dots of touch up on it and now its all brand new... the shop buffed and waxed the entire car its like brand new!!! im so happy! you'll smile once you see a freshly painted brand new bumper on the back of your TL

before

after
wow they did a great job on that. i decided to take a few days off work just to chill,i unload trucks at ups and i wouldnt want to kill my back or anything
Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Same thing happened to me about three weeks ago - was just sitting at a light and some lady in a truck ran into me. Just needed bumper replaced, but was still a pain.

I sort of understand getting rear ended in heavy traffic, but this was ridiculous - a whole bunch of cars stopped at a light, had been sitting close to a minute.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

A little tip from a racer who watches the mirrors all the time on the street -looking for the ~less attentive or unskilled~ drivers

A little story to set the mood:

At the track- if you get hit and/or spun going into the hairpin at the end of the back straight, its YOUR fault!!
You have mirrors and should have seen the guy coming and know there is no way
-short of defying a minimum 3 of Newton's Basic Laws of Physics-
that he has enough brakes to slow sufficiently.
So you should move to the inside and maximum brake and let him fly past, or if he has taken the inside line approach- you need to max brake and prepare for him to go right thru your desired line in a smoking big hurry- this is when you have slowed more than normal for safety and now reclaim the line as he takes to the gravel trap.

This leads us to the street and the rear ended in traffic situations being described.

Its STILL YOUR Fault
You have the option as you approach slowed and stopped traffic of exactly how far back you stop your car. Since most accidents , the rear car needed just a few more feet and it would have never crashed. So I always leave enough room to do one of two things
Quickly pull forward the car length or so that I have as my safety space and hope thats all it took
OR
If lane to side is clear,I have enough room to hit the gas and crank the wheel- make it to the next lane and again- either enough room now present- or at least I am not the crunched car and the impact to the victim car is reduced because the extra space.

Locked up brakes do not slow as fast as rotating wheels.
Any skid marks inside some occupants pants are understandable
Any on the road are not from our ABS equipped TLs

Great brake pads and rotors do make a big differance in todays driving world of sudden stops and..well you all own tv's and have seen it too
Old 04-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Money is funny.

shit...i just got rear ended too and am utterly pissed! I always knew I was gonna get hit by a woman talking on her cellphone one day...I feel for ya man...I only hope mine will come out looking as nice as honda_motor_co_4life's...that body shop did a damn good job! It'd be awesome if mine got waxed and buffed when it's done...either that or fix it up as cheap as possil=ble and sell it...
Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 PM
08 Civic SI

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
shit...i just got rear ended too and am utterly pissed! I always knew I was gonna get hit by a woman talking on her cellphone one day...I feel for ya man...I only hope mine will come out looking as nice as honda_motor_co_4life's...that body shop did a damn good job! It'd be awesome if mine got waxed and buffed when it's done...either that or fix it up as cheap as possil=ble and sell it...
wow, that sux. how bad is it?u ok? its been a few weeks since mine i got a qutoe to get it fixed but im still waiting on her insurence co to give me th ok ti fix it
Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Instructor

A little tip from a racer who watches the mirrors all the time on the street -looking for the ~less attentive or unskilled~ drivers

A little story to set the mood:

At the track- if you get hit and/or spun going into the hairpin at the end of the back straight, its YOUR fault!!
You have mirrors and should have seen the guy coming and know there is no way
-short of defying a minimum 3 of Newton's Basic Laws of Physics-
that he has enough brakes to slow sufficiently.
So you should move to the inside and maximum brake and let him fly past, or if he has taken the inside line approach- you need to max brake and prepare for him to go right thru your desired line in a smoking big hurry- this is when you have slowed more than normal for safety and now reclaim the line as he takes to the gravel trap.

This leads us to the street and the rear ended in traffic situations being described.

Its STILL YOUR Fault
You have the option as you approach slowed and stopped traffic of exactly how far back you stop your car. Since most accidents , the rear car needed just a few more feet and it would have never crashed. So I always leave enough room to do one of two things
Quickly pull forward the car length or so that I have as my safety space and hope thats all it took
OR
If lane to side is clear,I have enough room to hit the gas and crank the wheel- make it to the next lane and again- either enough room now present- or at least I am not the crunched car and the impact to the victim car is reduced because the extra space.

Locked up brakes do not slow as fast as rotating wheels.
Any skid marks inside some occupants pants are understandable
Any on the road are not from our ABS equipped TLs

Great brake pads and rotors do make a big differance in todays driving world of sudden stops and..well you all own tv's and have seen it too
I am the same way always looking at my mirrors and leaving enough space to react to the morons on the road!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by orgnlprankster7
wow, that sux. how bad is it?u ok? its been a few weeks since mine i got a qutoe to get it fixed but im still waiting on her insurence co to give me th ok ti fix it
I'm ok...thanks...it's bad aesthetically but there seems to be no mechanical problems. All I want at this point is to have my car back in good condition.

So you have to wait for HER company to OK it? Did you ask for a check or are you going with what they recommend? Because thats where I am kind of unsure of as how to how I should go forward. Tryin to get some ideas...
Old 04-07-2007, 04:09 PM
08 Civic SI

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
I'm ok...thanks...it's bad aesthetically but there seems to be no mechanical problems. All I want at this point is to have my car back in good condition.

So you have to wait for HER company to OK it? Did you ask for a check or are you going with what they recommend? Because thats where I am kind of unsure of as how to how I should go forward. Tryin to get some ideas...
yea unfotunatyly i had to go to her company to get the quote and im waiting for them to get back to me and tell me im good to get it fixed. unfotunatly her insurence company isnt very plesant to deal with. and her insuresnce had been expired for a week when she hit me. they said the repair would be about 350-400, but i can go anyware i want to get it fixed.

oh and yes after they get back to me they will send out a check, but make sure you contact the insurense co of everyone involved.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Ok- so you were hit by an UNINSURED motorist

Either you already pay for insurance -just for that- as part of your "comprehensive coverage" or she owes you NOW for whatever the shop of YOUR choosing says it needs.

Expect a long painful experience while company diddles and legally explains they dont pay on a non-policy as far as they are concerned. Your insurance lapses, you are not insured, thats why they even make it effective 12:00am till x date at 11:59pm. At midnight, that policy turns into a pumpkin

Call the Insurance Commission in your state.
Its probably also a POLICE matter since you have to have insurance and a valid license in order to drive in America
Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 PM
08 Civic SI

Ok- so you were hit by an UNINSURED motorist

Either you already pay for insurance -just for that- as part of your "comprehensive coverage" or she owes you NOW for whatever the shop of YOUR choosing says it needs.

Expect a long painful experience while company diddles and legally explains they dont pay on a non-policy as far as they are concerned. Your insurance lapses, you are not insured, thats why they even make it effective 12:00am till x date at 11:59pm. At midnight, that policy turns into a pumpkin

Call the Insurance Commission in your state.
Its probably also a POLICE matter since you have to have insurance and a valid license in order to drive in America
i thought she was unisured since her card said so. but her insuence company is paying and all that,maybee she just didnt have her new card with her dunno. im getting a copy of the poice report next week so it should have all the info. thank god my dad is taking care of most of it and im just siting sideline and learning for the future