Got killed by a Maxima !

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 02:33 PM

Post Got killed by a Maxima !

Had two lights with a 2000/2001 max se 5-spd. First time I just punched it and he beat me to 60 by a car length. Second time, I used the brake to get the RPM's clost to 3K and he still beat me by a half a car length. I used the sport shift both times. I could hear that he had a filter charger, but that seemed to be it. Come on Acura - we need a stick!!!
Old 06-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't embarass us with this story. You know you did something wrong if you got killed by Maxima. TL-S do not get killed by Maximas, we kill Maximas. I killed my friend's souped up Special Edition manual Maxima (pretty rare).
So, practice a little bit, and go for it again, you'll beat that ugly piece of $hit.

------------------
2002 TL-S Aegean Blue Pearl. Underbody Kit, Spoiler

"260 Horsepower of maximum performance. This is BLUE SUNSHINE!" - Thunderkiss '02
Sweet!!!
Old 06-05-2001, 03:17 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I don't believe this!! I was able to whoop a maxima's ass with no problem. I was racing with him head to head and I could even hear his engine rumbling trying to catch up, but as soon as I hit over 4K RPM, the VTEC kick in and I was at least 2 car lengths in front of him. Doesn't matter if he has a 5spd or not. You have 260 horses under the hood and you can't take him. You are a disgrace... hehe!! j/k!! Better luck next time.

------------------
2002 Black on Black TL TypeS

Old 06-05-2001, 03:37 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Ah dont be too hard on the guy. Would it be too embarrasing if I said that a tricked out civic hatchback beat me before? Then again it was during medium traffic. I was not about to risk my baby like that.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-05-2001, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

maybe you should practice on ur driving skills
Old 06-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Racer

Don't listen to them.
You have absolutely no idea what's under the hood of that maxima. TL-S is not guaranteed to be faster than any car....even a civic.
There are plenty of civics out there that would knock our socks off. If it makes you feel better, go find another maxima for a kill. (find a milder one this time)

Old 06-05-2001, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by ssokol91:
Don't embarass us with this story. You know you did something wrong if you got killed by Maxima. TL-S do not get killed by Maximas, we kill Maximas. I killed my friend's souped up Special Edition manual Maxima (pretty rare).
So, practice a little bit, and go for it again, you'll beat that ugly piece of $hit.

Embarass us? What do you define as "KILLED" .. 1/2 car length?? 1 carlength?? Well, if you had any serious drag racing experience, other than the occassional drag w/ your sweetheart's Maxima, you'd realize that there are many many factors that are involved in street racing, like launching technique, modifications to the cars, tires, was someone's A/C running .. and the list goes on. And if you "smoked" or "killed" someone, you'd be about four or five carlengths ahead of him to 100mph. I love to hear stories of people who stop racing as soon as they get a hair thickness of distance on the car their racing and then go tell people "I just SMOOOOKED some twin turbo something or other!!!"

I've been beat by a manual '99 Maxima to 60 mph .. am I a bad driver too? Hmmm .. Our rubber sucks! If CarGuy had better tires, like Potenza RE730's or Pilot Sports, he'd have hung w/ that Maxima .. oh, but he couldn't launch like a Maxima cuz he has an auto tranny. Plus the Maxi is 400 pounds (+/- 50lbs) lighter than the TL-S. Give him a break.

Peace

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by PeterUbers on June 05, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by PeterUbers on June 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-05-2001, 05:32 PM

Wink

Maxima's are no joke stock let alone hooked up, Tl vs Maxima a very close race and anyone can win at any givne time.

Had a hell of a time killing a hooked up CIVIC at 120mph and got beat by a CRX that weighed like 1000 lbs.

Believe it!
Old 06-05-2001, 06:06 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

yeah...me too...it wasnt a civic hatchback...well a CRX is...but it really was a CRX that killed me during traffic. I was able to pull away in straights...but like I mentioned before...was too chicken to pull off any of his 2 feet per car passes.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-05-2001, 06:39 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't feel bad, Maximas are not as slow as most people here think it is. PeterUbers said it best, many factors play a part to drag racing. It is actually possible to lose to a V6 Accord given many circumstances. Hell, NovaWhiteTypeS and I raced his CLS vs. 540i off the line. He got a GREAT launch and my A/C was on along with traction and we were neck to neck to about 80 mph. So, the moral is, anything is possible.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Why do all you SS fans persist in believing that you can make the car go faster by shifting yourself?!?

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 06-05-2001, 10:07 PM
Retired MOD

Ohh please. I got kill by a 96 maxima with intake. His maxima is stick of course. We raced 4 times. Kill me all for on stop light to like 80mph. You just can't beat a maxima with stick just plain simple. I have a 99' intake, pulleys. I will kill him any time on the highway . Is all on the start, around 70mph I was already head to head that means my car is faster, but freaking manual transmission!!! Can’t compete. Please don't bullshit me with driving skill!!! The maxima guy is my friend and we are both very skill. We need a manual tranny

------------------
Old 06-05-2001, 10:10 PM
Retired MOD

I know.....but is true that you could go a few RPMs on the red line with SS. Not to make any difference!!!
Originally posted by Gomez:
Why do all you SS fans persist in believing that you can make the car go faster by shifting yourself?!?

------------------
Old 06-05-2001, 11:08 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by Gomez:

Gomez, I like your line of thinking. 260HP is simply 260HP, I guess.

Old 06-06-2001, 02:55 AM
Advanced

That intake could have been a Stillen Supercharger which the car would then have over 280 hp.

------------------
Trying to decide
02 TL Type-S or
02 CL Type-S
Old 06-06-2001, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by PeterUbers:
Embarass us? What do you define as "KILLED" .. 1/2 car length?? 1 carlength??............

It was a sarcastic joke that is not suitable for Illinois residents. You should be racing go-carts in front of elementary school to impress kids. You want to talk mucho $hit about drag racing, come up to Brooklyn, NY next weekend we'll teach you a thing or two.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:46 PM

I posted on the Maxima site and found the guy that took it to me. It is just a filter charger on the car, but he has a quote, unquote "dry ice trap" WTF? I saw it last night and thought it was funny as hell. I don't know if it really works, but it looks like a good, cheap idea. Has anyone else seen this? He has rigged the resonator box under the battery so that dry ice can be droped down in there and sealed tight. Don't have to worry about moisture problems, and the air is COLD going into the engine. He said filling it up lasts about an hour. That costs him $3 at the ice store. I gotta try this myself! Another thing that probably did help his race speed, was that he had a Maxima with cloth interior, no sunroof and 16" SE wheels. Less weight and less rolling resistance. He had a slip on his dash with a 14.99 time on it. Not Bad.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by CARGUY2001:
I posted on the Maxima site and found the guy that took it to me. It is just a filter charger on the car, but he has a quote, unquote "dry ice trap" WTF? I saw it last night and thought it was funny as hell. I don't know if it really works, but it looks like a good, cheap idea. Has anyone else seen this? He has rigged the resonator box under the battery so that dry ice can be droped down in there and sealed tight. Don't have to worry about moisture problems, and the air is COLD going into the engine. He said filling it up lasts about an hour. That costs him $3 at the ice store. I gotta try this myself! Another thing that probably did help his race speed, was that he had a Maxima with cloth interior, no sunroof and 16" SE wheels. Less weight and less rolling resistance. He had a slip on his dash with a 14.99 time on it. Not Bad.
The "mod" above was what he ADMITTED TO ....does not mean that, that is all he has....just an observation..

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 06-06-2001, 01:01 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Can you post a link to the maxima post of the guy? I really want to see what he wrote.

------------------
2002 Black on Black TL TypeS

Old 06-06-2001, 01:19 PM

I will find it, but most of the talk was between e-mails and then we met up last night. I saw what he had and unless he had cams or a hidden nos system, it was stock other than the ice / filter.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by ssokol91:
It was a sarcastic joke that is not suitable for Illinois residents. You should be racing go-carts in front of elementary school to impress kids. You want to talk mucho $hit about drag racing, come up to Brooklyn, NY next weekend we'll teach you a thing or two.
Not suitable for Illinois residents?? Sorry, you make absolutely NO sense. Based on your post above -- you KNOW NOTHING about drag racing, I don't care how sarcastic you were. I can learn more about drag racing from Martha Stewart.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:41 PM
AC
Drifting

I don't understand why people insist that the Maxima is so slow, they're not. I agree that the styling is not the prettiest, but a manual Maxima can compete with the TLS. "We kill Maximas", what's your definition, 1/2 to 1 car? Well, that's a hell of a KILL. My definition of kill is more like 4 to 6 cars and still walking away. Now the Special Edition you're talking about, is it the new 25th Anniversary one? Yes, pretty rare but if you "kill" your friend then perhaps HE doesn't know how to drive.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Owned both Maxima and TL-S

I used to drive the 95 Maxima,..powerful sedan.....luv the feel of the acceleraton on that sedan....i'v beaten eclipse, accords, bmw325, 3000GT before......
Now i have the 2002 TL-S....fast car....very fast.....esp for a SEDAN...
these 2 cars can pretty much dominate over street cars....if driven correctly...
the reason I selected TL-S over the newly designed maxima is because of the looks...and luxury..pricing...and reliability.
maxima is pretty close...except..i really detest the tail lights. Other then that...I would buy it ...cause there's like a 10k difference between the two.

G
Old 07-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Racer

Re: Owned both Maxima and TL-S

Originally posted by city001
the reason I selected TL-S over the newly designed maxima is because of the looks...and luxury..pricing...and reliability.
maxima is pretty close...except..i really detest the tail lights. Other then that...I would buy it ...cause there's like a 10k difference between the two.

G
Me too. I had a '97 SE loaded and it was a great car. It was stolen and totalled. I looked at the '99 Maxima SE, new body style, and needed an air sick bag. If the new MAXIMA was a girl she'd wind up an old maid; UGLY!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Maxima is a fast car!

Why everybody thinks a Maxima is slow? I keep reading this over and over. Did you guys read the specs on a Maxima before? It can do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds (5 speed) even back in 1995 with only a 190 hps V6 never mind the newer ones. Don't let that car fool you! Our car is very close in performance with one of them. It is not surprising to beat or get beaten by one of them. If you do race one then it will depend on the driver's skills and condition of the day. The race will be close unless one can't drive then it will be a wash out. There are many cars out there with similar performance as the TL and TL-S. Just have to respect the other cars just as we wish they do the same for us Acura TL owners. Do your homework before you pick a race! Better luck next time.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Gomez
After "testing" during 9 runs, my times at the track were consistently .3 seconds quicker using SS.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:35 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I read in your other post that you left the VSA on.....That slows down my TL-S TREMENDOUSLY. When VSA is on and I floor it off the line, the whole car jerks back and stops accelerating till the wheels catch grip again. I'm sorry, but leaving VSA on is a critical mistake. You should not loose to a maxima 5-speed WITH VSA OFF no matter what year the maxima is and if it had an intake or not. The worst that could happen is a tie (and that would be with an EXCELLENT maxima driver).
Old 07-03-2001, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I'm new to the TL-S world, but have had 5 spd Maximas in the garage since 1996, including my 2000 SE 5 spd daily driver....Here's my take:

The Max 5 spd (in stock form) is quick - 0-60 in 6.6 to 7.0 sec, depending on who's driving, and which car (there are definitely production variances from car to car).

The TL-S is quicker once it gets rolling, but the auto can slow down the launch. Our TL-S is much quicker from 20-70 than the Max, but seems to dog off the line unless you rev to 3000 while standing on the brakes (not my idea of how to treat a new $31K car)

Which one do I like better, you ask? Depends on my mood - if I'm in the mood to stir the gears by hand, the Max wins - if I'm in the mood to cruise around in a sleeper and prey on unsuspecting Mustangs? TL-S gets the nod. Going to the garage in the morning is a pleasure these days......
Old 07-03-2001, 01:01 PM
Instructor

this is how to kill Maxima

How can you killed by Maxima?, I killed 240 SX about 20ft length, maybe you need to practice gearing up. Here's how. 1st shift it goes up to 20 Mile, automatically, 2nd gear can speed up to 55, then you shift for 3rd gear up to 75mile, and 4th gear goe up to 95mile. And you have to look at your rpm about 5500. It should be easy job. I even killed any BMW318 which was easy. They start slow but they can catch you around 60mile. but they lose their acceleration for a while, so can't beat it. It is easy. and you must feel the love of TLS acceleration. Got it?!!
Old 07-03-2001, 01:18 PM
Instructor

tls vs. maxima

You guys crack me up. On any given day, the TLS can and will lose to comparable cars, including the maxima 5 speed. Especially if the driver is up to speed in the offending car. The TLS is a very fast car. Enjoy it!
Old 07-03-2001, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I saw a bunch of people on the Maxima forum comparing times with and without the BIG alloy wheels. Some of the guys were getting 3- to 4- tenths (or more) off their quarter mile times, just by going to the 15" wheels.

Something to think about -- there is a lot of small stuff that can get done to "all" the cars that brings suprising results...

$.02
Old 07-03-2001, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Two things to always note if you're into racing your Type S. First, as mentioned earlier, always take VSC off.
Second, and most importantly, if you ever feel your car has become sluggish or is not running fast check your actuator that opens the second stage of the intake. Many, many of these have failed and when they do you lose over 30ftlb of torque and it slows you down bigtime.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:43 PM
Racer

Cool Re: tls vs. maxima

Originally posted by pjonkheer1
You guys crack me up. On any given day, the TLS can and will lose to comparable cars, including the maxima 5 speed. Especially if the driver is up to speed in the offending car. The TLS is a very fast car. Enjoy it!
Ditto!
Old 07-03-2001, 11:59 PM

A good bud of mine has a 98 Maxima and he gives a good run at the GS with no major work.

Last gen Maxima only weighd 3000lbs remember, so that helps it a lot.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:07 AM
MBA
Advanced

Talking

Ahh, don't sweat it.
I obliterated a new Maxima two nights ago on the way home.
He never led. Beat him by 10+ lengths. Maybe he gave up?
Old 07-04-2001, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Quick96
That intake could have been a Stillen Supercharger which the car would then have over 280 hp.
IF that max had a supercharger he would have killed him by a LOT more than 1/2-1 car length.

Maximas are not slow, especially Manual ones---u must remember a 95, 190hp max can do 0-60 in 6.6 sec.... thats 95 stang GT territory...........

Ya'll dont need to go bustin on Maxima's like the one guy. And like they said in that movie---I don't care if he won by an inch or by a mile, he still won.