Got Bridgestone Potenzas mounted...umm...problems too...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Bridgestone Potenzas mounted...umm...problems too...

hello all... i got some quick questions for anyone who might know...

Alright, here's the deal. I got some Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions, and got them mounted at my NTB. I haven't tried to test them out hard or anything because i'm letting them break in... I have my car dropped with H&R Sport Springs and the wheel gap that it eliminated is now back again because of the low profile tires...

Will the springs settle again? the car was jacked up for about an hour while they were mounting the tires onto the wheels and placing them on the rotors. Did this affect the springs in any way? Or will the springs stay like that and the wheel gap just stay there?
I guess if i had known, i would've just got some 18" rims with 18" bridgestones.

And another question i have is... i'm driving, and there's a LOT of constant minimal vibration. is this because of the tires? I can't remember if itw as like that with my Michelins or not.

I'm about to go out driving later and see if it'll be the same.

Please respond if you have any ideas or suggestions or anything!
Thanks

-Rob
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 AM
...and then there was One

OK, what size S-03s ddi you get? And they are on your stock rims? Or different 17s? If they aren't the same exact size, I sure HOPE you made sure they were the same overal tire height. Confused, because you said "low profile".
Even if you would have gotten 18s, you would need to get the same overal tire height.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SimTypeS
OK, what size S-03s ddi you get? And they are on your stock rims? Or different 17s? If they aren't the same exact size, I sure HOPE you made sure they were the same overal tire height. Confused, because you said "low profile".
Even if you would have gotten 18s, you would need to get the same overal tire height.
I got 225/45/17's.... and the stock rims are 17's... i think it was just my mind playing tricks on me... i got my car to the dealer for oil change, and noticed that my car is still lower than the stock cars.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got Sumitomo HTR+'s on my car and I have the same vibration on my car. (specially bad on not so smooth roads)

I had the dealer check them on my last scheduled service. They said that everything checked out, no bent wheel, not out of balance, no warped brakes. They said that the harmonics from the tires were the vibration that I feel.

That could be what is happening to your car, ChillRobP.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:16 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you just went from stock tires to S0-3's, your going to have vibration... their a performace tire... the stock ones were comfey quiet ones, potenzas are a little louder, track the road mroe and give alot more feedback to the wheel... feeling the vibration in the wheel while your driving is normal...

-me
Old 05-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Are you sure whether you're feeling more vibrations or is it maybe the new tire tracking more to the imperfections of the road?

225/45/17 are a little bit smaller than the stock 215/50/17s. The stock tires are 50% of the 215 width compared to 45% of 225.

I've got the same size as what you did and I'm happy with the difference. I don't think there is a big difference. Just the look.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Yeah, i think i just was paying too much attention to it.
I'm sure my Michelins did the same thing because the roads out here are a little bumpy. I went out driving and it actually feels fine now, everything seems great. I didn't push the tires hard because i'm letting them break in, but i took an onramp and WOW, these tires do hold, without the screeching of the Michelins.
But i thought that these tires would reduce road noise. I thought I read that somewhere. But oh well. These tires are better than the Michelins!
Old 05-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Advanced

I have Yokohama AVS ES100's and did notice some new vibrations on roads with even very minor bumps (or ridges). They were not really noticeable before the new tires, and I can't feel them at all in my wife's MDX. I have gotten used to it, and the performance improvement completely outweighs the degradation in the ride. I assume that a different tire with a less aggressive tread pattern would not track as well, and therefore you would not feel the imperfections in the road as much.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Cruisin'

I just mounted the same tires and same size, sometimes its so smooth, but then other times is the bumpiest ride ever. I'm coming from the Mich Pilot Sport A/S's. (I had 4, yes 4, sidewall bubbles with those tires. 200+ each)

Other than that . . these tires stick to the road! Ohh man!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Had Potenz S-03's in18 inch rims. No vibration until I had bent rims. Now I have same size tires and a little vibration but Im going to have the runout checked on my rims and hub on friday. Im sure its from a bent rim. As far as ride goes, they are alittle noisier and may vibrate slightly but shouldnt be hapening at low speeds like when idle in a parking lot with smooth pavement cause that means your rim is bent or tire mounted on a high spot.

By the way your springs are what they are and will not settle more. You took away tire sidewall by going with lower profile so of coarse you will see more gap.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 AM
l33t

If there is one thing S0-3's are not, its quiet Thier attitude is "screw quiet, make them glue to the road"